Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTheReckoning
:)
Potato Dextrose Agar WITHOUT Petri Dish and Liquid Culture Question
    #10350240 - 05/16/09 08:45 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I started a liquid culture with 100ml of water and 4 grams of organic honey. I did a tissue transfer by pricking the stem of a mature mushroom with a gauged syringe and injecting that tissue into my liquid culture jar. The solution has a bunch of white particles floating around, which creates a sort of cloudy effect when I stir it. I started the culture 5 days ago and this is all that I have seen in the liquid culture. Does it sound like my liquid culture failed?

Another question on the topic of using Potato Dextrose Agar. I have a vial of it that has a self healing injector site cap. What I did was remove the cap and place a cut piece of mushroom tissue and placed it in the vial of PDA. Is this a correct method to start an agar culture? Thanks!

--------------------
A scapegoat, for all your insecurities. Excuse me; a hero; a man made god; for all your insecurities - Remembering Never

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: Potato Dextrose Agar WITHOUT Petri Dish and Liquid Culture Question [Re: TheReckoning]
    #10350301 - 05/16/09 09:04 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

LC might be ok, shoot a test jar in a couple weeks.

The vial thing, hard to say without more info. It was prepared agar, not powder or something? The you should be ok, if you used good sterile technique.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

OfflineTheReckoning
Re: Potato Dextrose Agar WITHOUT Petri Dish and Liquid Culture Question [Re: Doc_T]
    #10350332 - 05/16/09 09:13 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

It is a vial of prepared PDA, 100% sterile. I built a glove box out of a Sterilite large clear bin, put a plastic garbage bag over the opening and taped it good with duct tape, made two holes and duct taped the edges to reinforce. I then wiped down the inside with alcohol and sprayed Lysol. I wore latex gloves and washed them with alcohol followed by hand sanitizer. Then I proceeded to do the tissue transfer. The tissue bruised before I was able to get it into the vial, so it was blue. Does that matter at all if it will work?

As for the liquid culture, I started another larger subculture, but there is a lot of floating stuff in there, and it wasn't in there before. It looks strange, maybe honey sediment? It's kind of stringy.

--------------------
A scapegoat, for all your insecurities. Excuse me; a hero; a man made god; for all your insecurities - Remembering Never

Offlinemushroomhunter10
Jack-Of-All-Trades
Male User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Re: Potato Dextrose Agar WITHOUT Petri Dish and Liquid Culture Question [Re: Doc_T]
    #10350337 - 05/16/09 09:14 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

It's difficult to assess whether or not your LC is contaminated or not. It's why you should have either used regular agar plates, or even transferred said culture to grains. RogerRabbit set me straight on the "dangers" of LC's.

Don't get me wrong, LC's are awesome, but for novices (I'm not implying anything.) it's difficult to discern whether or not it's mycelium or a contamination.

Agar or grains next time. :thumbup:

As far as your agar question. You did it correctly, but the environment and sterile technique could be questionable without more detail.

Good Luck

--------------------
Imagine if you needed it and it wasn't there... GIVE BLOOD
Get a free (PAINLESS) bone marrow testing kit and help save lives HERE.
Jesus if you're reading this, please come back already. We need you now more than ever!
The U.S. Constitution!

Best WBS Tek
EZ Potato-Honey Agar Tek
MY TRADES

OfflineTheReckoning

Re: Potato Dextrose Agar WITHOUT Petri Dish and Liquid Culture Question [Re: mushroomhunter10]
    #10350349 - 05/16/09 09:17 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I actually am testing the master liquid culture on grains now, I inoculated yesterday. How long before I should be able to see some mycelium growth?

--------------------

Offlinemushroomhunter10
Jack-Of-All-Trades
Male User Gallery

Re: Potato Dextrose Agar WITHOUT Petri Dish and Liquid Culture Question [Re: TheReckoning]
    #10350381 - 05/16/09 09:25 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Mycelium is surprisingly fast. Two days and you should see some action. A week at most.

The bruising, it's all good. It's just psilocin's reaction to the air as it breaks down. Really, nobody really knows why it turns blue. :shrug:

May I ask which species you're attempting to clone?

--------------------
Jesus if you're reading this, please come back already. We need you now more than ever!
The U.S. Constitution!

Best WBS Tek
EZ Potato-Honey Agar Tek
MY TRADES

OfflineTheReckoning

Re: Potato Dextrose Agar WITHOUT Petri Dish and Liquid Culture Question [Re: mushroomhunter10]
    #10350417 - 05/16/09 09:36 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

P. cubensis Ecuadorian I believe. I got my specimens from my friend here in town, and performed the transfer to PDA yesterday. In the PDA I see translucent pieces of some sort of debris in various places. How long before I should see some growth in the agar?

--------------------

Offlinemushroomhunter10
Jack-Of-All-Trades
Male User Gallery

#10350426 - 05/16/09 09:40 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

If it's a tissue culture then you can see growth in as little as 48 hours, albeit small, but nonetheless growth. Spores take longer because they have to germinate. Sometimes 24 hours you can see VERY minor changes with tissue culture. The thing you'll see first are pieces of mycelium "reaching out" to the new food source.

Give it a week and you'll know if it's good to go.

Smoke a J, and relax. You'll get there. :smile:

--------------------
The U.S. Constitution!

Best WBS Tek
EZ Potato-Honey Agar Tek
MY TRADES

OfflineTheReckoning

#10350433 - 05/16/09 09:43 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Will do :wink: I think my first liquid culture may have failed, but without contamination, just some plain honey water. I injected this into a rye grain jar to test. If it is a failed culture, can I still use that rye grain jar to grow?

--------------------

Offlinemushroomhunter10
Jack-Of-All-Trades
Male User Gallery

#10350458 - 05/16/09 09:52 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

If the culture failed to grow, and there weren't contaminants then you can use that same jar to grow.

I would just make a new jar instead though. Less worry/headache/anxiety.

Here is the real thing to do though.

Read
Read
Read

When you're done reading, read some more! :grin:

If I was you I'd ask your friend for some spores and just knock-up some grains instead of trying three or four methods at once.

--------------------
The U.S. Constitution!

Best WBS Tek
EZ Potato-Honey Agar Tek
MY TRADES

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10350481 - 05/16/09 09:58 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Agreed.
You sound pretty knowledgeable and reasonably competent. Put those skills to work using a proven technique first, then experiment. But wait a week or more before you call this attempt a failure or success.

--------------------

OfflineTheReckoning

#10350527 - 05/16/09 10:09 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I already got a spore print from a fairly large specimen last week, and used those spores to start a liquid culture the other day. That jar of liquid culture though, has a bunch of sediment floating in it, I expect it to be from the honey but I'm not sure. Here are some pics of the culture started with spores: (notice that there is a build up of white residue on the edge, it doesn't move when I swirl the jar to create a vortex)

Let me know what you think, thanks. :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10350533 - 05/16/09 10:11 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

LC is always a gamble. You can't tell much by looking, you have to wait and shoot up a test jar.

--------------------

Offlinemushroomhunter10
Jack-Of-All-Trades
Male User Gallery

#10350537 - 05/16/09 10:11 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah and definitely watch RR's videos. He's quite a character and a super-exceptional cultivator.

--------------------
The U.S. Constitution!

Best WBS Tek
EZ Potato-Honey Agar Tek
MY TRADES

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale