Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblethedudenj
Man of the Woods

spirituality vs religion
    #10318793 - 05/10/09 07:48 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

pretty much the two are separate things people can be religious with out being spiritual and spiritual people dont have to be religious but can be.

pretty much the way is see it religion is adherence to a way or view using with a specific teaching, while spiritually being aware and in touch with the spirit.

my stance on it is im just spiritual is pretty much just awareness of it. i think thats what is the key to spiritually being aware of your spirit and others. that brings about change and retrospective change as well as Truth and awareness of truth leads to the discovery of the one reality that exists where there is only truth such as all lines are true that they are a lie and all truths clearly direct and apparent.

it kinda makes me want to call lies indirect turth but its rather a misdirected truth

had more to say but fogot im really spacey cause im sick i cant remember whats going on peace

--------------------

"You all are just  puppets... You have no heart...and cannot feel any pain...""
you may think thats pain you feel but you must have a heart to feel true pain and that pain wont be yours

Edited by thedudenj (05/14/09 05:02 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblezen buddy
not a buddhist
Male User Gallery

Re: spirituality vs religion [Re: thedudenj]
    #10336741 - 05/14/09 08:26 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

For me, spirituality is when you have your own understandings and beliefs as opposed to religion when you adopt the same understandings and beliefs of a particular group.

I would much rather think for myself.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #10336845 - 05/14/09 09:11 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

There is a trend right now for people to identify as "spiritual but not religious," and I think there's good news and bad news about that.  The good news is that it means people are escaping the bounds of dogma and searching for a more genuine connection to spirit.  The bad news is that trying to go it alone can get you lost, or stuck at a certain level with no guidance.  I think it's in large part the fault of religion for not evolving with the times.  Religion, as Ken Wilber puts it, is supposed to be "the Great Conveyor Belt."  That is, it's supposed to be a vehicle to help one advance one's consciousness from magic to mythic to rational to pluralistic to integral and beyond.  However, religion tends to get stuck at the mythic level, and so people who advance to the rational stage tend to give up religion, and if they still have some spiritual longing, they'll try and form their own spiritual beliefs outside of any religious context.  There were a few rational-level religious movements during the Enlightenment, such as Deism and Pantheism.  At the pluralistic stage, many New Age movements have popped up, but there can be a great tendency towards narcissism, with ideas like the Law of Attraction.  I think each of the great traditions needs to advance to the integral level, so that it can serve the spiritual needs of people at each of these levels.

--------------------

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
Re: spirituality vs religion [Re: Silversoul]
    #10336981 - 05/14/09 09:56 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

:thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
    #10337034 - 05/14/09 10:12 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

The more people are detached from spirituality, the easier is it for men to misuse religion for their selfish purposes.
Methodology there. Everyone is in need of 'meaning'.

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

#10338455 - 05/14/09 03:25 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Silversoul said:
At the pluralistic stage, many New Age movements have popped up, but there can be a great tendency towards narcissism, with ideas like the Law of Attraction.

What's wrong with a narcissistic spirituality?  Frankly, any religion or spiritual belief system that doesn't benefit me in some way is not worth following.

--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Re: spirituality vs religion [Re: deCypher]
    #10338486 - 05/14/09 03:32 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

deCypher said:
Quote:

Silversoul said:
At the pluralistic stage, many New Age movements have popped up, but there can be a great tendency towards narcissism, with ideas like the Law of Attraction.

What's wrong with a narcissistic spirituality?  Frankly, any religion or spiritual belief system that doesn't benefit me in some way is not worth following.

It's possible to honor yourself with indulging yourself.  I think if there's any universal truth taught by all major religions, it's this:  It's not all about you.

--------------------

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

#10338493 - 05/14/09 03:34 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Sure, but that's usually coupled with the ultimate carrot of eternal life.  If a religion offered nothing of value to you personally then very few people would subscribe to it.

--------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

#10338509 - 05/14/09 03:36 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

deCypher said:
Sure, but that's usually coupled with the ultimate carrot of eternal life.

Judaism, for one, does not put a lot of emphasis on an afterlife.

Quote:

If a religion offered nothing of value to you personally then very few people would subscribe to it.

Sure, but what religion really offers is communion with something greater than yourself.

--------------------

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

#10338534 - 05/14/09 03:40 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Silversoul said:

I've never been too clear on Judaic tenets.  Is there an afterlife or isn't there?

Quote:

Silversoul said:
Sure, but what religion really offers is communion with something greater than yourself.

Agreed, but doesn't spirituality also offer this too?  I'd argue the benefit of organized religion over spirituality is the provided community of like-minded seekers; both provide the individualistic connection to God but religion makes a compelling cultural tradition out of it.

--------------------

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

#10338569 - 05/14/09 03:48 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

deCypher said:
Quote:

Silversoul said:

I've never been too clear on Judaic tenets.  Is there an afterlife or isn't there?

There isn't a consensus on it.  Many Conservative and Reform Jews will tell you that they don't believe in an afterlife.  Others believe in Sheol.  Many Hasidic and other Kabbalistic Jews believe in reincarnation.  In any case, the Mourner's Kaddish, recited at Jewish funerals, makes no reference to an afterlife, and merely reaffirms the believers faith and trust in God.

Quote:

Quote:

Silversoul said:

Agreed, but doesn't spirituality also offer this too?  I'd argue the benefit of organized religion over spirituality is the provided community of like-minded seekers; both provide the individualistic connection to God but religion makes a compelling cultural tradition out of it.

Yes, religion is essentially spirituality in community.  But that community is also something greater than oneself.

--------------------

Offlinemr_kite
The Watcher
Male

Loc: shambhala
    #10338939 - 05/14/09 04:57 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

thedudenj said:
it kinda makes me want want call lies indirect turth but its rather a misdirected truth

:wtf: Your posts make my brain hurt. im not usually a bitch about this sorta thing but if you want to have a serious discussion, IMO you've got to have a basic level of self-expression.

--------------------
let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of what you really love

Invisiblethedudenj
Man of the Woods

Re: spirituality vs religion [Re: mr_kite]
    #10338973 - 05/14/09 05:04 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

well no matter what the lie is or about what the truth still full exists and their lie is based of truth or created from a truth be being a falsification of it.

like if i there was an orange car in my garage and i said i had a yellow school bus. tho i could have nothing in there and no garage the flase reality in which i create or  try to at least is all regardless is real to what it is in respect to what the truth is :confused:

--------------------

"You all are just  puppets... You have no heart...and cannot feel any pain...""
you may think thats pain you feel but you must have a heart to feel true pain and that pain wont be yours

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom