Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinewarhorse
Stranger
Red caps??
    #10317821 - 05/10/09 04:32 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Hey,

I'm new to this site, and I have a question that maybe somebody can help with.

I have a pecan grove where I keep my horses. This time of year is wet and humid (NE OK). In a pile of horse chips right next to a wood pile -I have what I think is a sizable patch of panaeolus cinctulus, or "red caps".

I had to use my cell - I hope to get better pics soon. They look JUST like the pic in the upper-right corner of the page at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panaeolus_cinctulus. When I saw this picture my jaw dropped; some of the first ones I picked and dried looked identical to the ones at this link.

These seem like they would be pretty easy to id, because of the shape and color, the ring around the outside of the cap, etc. My question is - is there a look-alike for these bad boys, or is it pretty sure thing?

This patch has at least 50-60 caps, some 2 1/2 to 3 inches in dia. The spot they're in has a lot of very small wood debris on the ground, with a lot of horse manure around.

I would appreciate any input. Thanks!

UPDATE: I've read some good stuff posted by Angryshroom, and I'm taking a sporeprint. So far, the ones I've found match his description of how to tell a subb. Why was Panaeolus subbalteatus renamed? Again, sorry for the poor quality pics. :smile:

One more - I found a pic of Psilocybe Caerulipes, looks a lot like the ones I found, except I've haven't noticed the blue bruising. Also, it says these are very rare? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Psilocybe_Caerulipes.jpg

Edited by warhorse (05/10/09 06:51 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinewarhorse
Stranger
Re: Red caps?? [Re: warhorse]
    #10319274 - 05/10/09 09:13 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I'll be posting pics of these in the next day or so. The spore print came out brown. I only left it for a couple of hours, but I don't see this turning black anytime soon. I think because of the environment, color, etc. - it would be easy to confuse these with something edible. It's a good thing for prints.

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
Re: Red caps?? [Re: warhorse]
    #10319549 - 05/10/09 09:54 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Other species of Panaeolus, Panaeolina, and Psathyrella are all regularly mistaken for P. cinctulus.  All Panaeolus have jet black spores, all Panaeolina have brown spores, and Psathyrella species can have black or brown spores.

All 3 genera contain species with hygrophanous caps.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hygrophanous

I've never heard of P. cinctulus referred to as "Red caps", the nic name we use around here is "Subbs".

Also, please upload your photos to the site and post them in this thread:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder