Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepsydesign
Stranger
 User Gallery

Psychedelic intrest & new growers Q's
    #10312156 - 05/09/09 09:53 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Hi guys. It's nice to finally join the site after viewing it for so long!

(Brief history): First tried shrooms in Asia and had some pretty intense trips. I'm intrested in how the brain works, and philosphical ideas related to all aspects of life and death. Recently tried acid for the first time, and had a magical journey. After coming back from Amsterdam I wanted to research growing mushrooms as they're are so hard to get hold of in the U.K.

I've made 6 jars (of random size)filled with vermiculate, rice flour and water. Followed instructions I made myself after researching this site and youtube. 1st question - I used a combination of white and brown rice flour, as that was all I could get hold of. Would that be a problem?

I used Psilocybe cubensis ecuador spores, I used 10ml for 6 (approx 1/2 pint) jars. Is that about right?

They're all currently incubated in a warm room (70'F). The only problem is, the jars are made of frosted glass or clouded plastic- so I can't see in very well. How will I know when they are ready to fruit?

One more question; approximatly how many grams does 10ml of spores usually produce in the correct conditions?

Thanks all,
Peas&love.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleShroominit
Part Time Mycologist

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Psychedelic intrest & new growers Q's [Re: psydesign]
    #10312188 - 05/09/09 10:03 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

psydesign said:

0)I've made 6 jars (of random size)filled with vermiculate
1)I used a combination of white and brown rice flour, as that was all I could get hold of. Would that be a problem?
2)I used Psilocybe cubensis ecuador spores, I used 10ml for 6 (approx 1/2 pint) jars. Is that about right?
3) How will I know when they are ready to fruit?
4)One more question; approximatly how many grams does 10ml of spores usually produce in the correct conditions?

0)Random size, I hope these jars do not have a shoulder of any kind or you will not be able to get the cakes out.
1)It won't be a problem, but white rice from what I gather, tends to be less nutritious and is messier to work with (don't know why, just what I've read).
2)You used almost twice as much as you needed to. It should be 1cc (ml) per jar.
3) You very well may not if you can't see the colonization.
4) Infinte. Once you grow one mushroom fruit body, you take a spore print and start over. -- There are also cloning and other techniques you could use, but you will have to research those as you get further into the hobby.

Offlinepsydesign
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Psychedelic intrest & new growers Q's [Re: Shroominit]
    #10312247 - 05/09/09 10:17 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

0)Random size, I hope these jars do not have a shoulder of any kind or you will not be able to get the cakes out.
1)It won't be a problem, but white rice from what I gather, tends to be less nutritious and is messier to work with (don't know why, just what I've read).
2)You used almost twice as much as you needed to. It should be 1cc (ml) per jar.
3) You very well may not if you can't see the colonization.
4) Infinte. Once you grow one mushroom fruit body, you take a spore print and start over. -- There are also cloning and other techniques you could use, but you will have to research those as you get further into the hobby.

Thankyou very much for the informative response.

0)-Don't worry; jars are shoulder-less.
2)-I did know it was meant to be 1ml per jar, but I was a bit too heavy handed after making the first 4, so decided to use the whole of my 10ml. Thinkings that a higher concentration could only be a positive thing...(?)
4)- Infinate is a nice answer. So I will rephrase my question; how many grams will the first batch of my 10ml of spores approximatly produce?

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
    #10312273 - 05/09/09 10:25 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

psydesign said:
4)- Infinate is a nice answer. So I will rephrase my question; how many grams will the first batch of my 10ml of spores approximatly produce?

Infinite again. I still have spores left from the very first syringe I ever bought.

But the answer you are looking for is: zero to 100 grams or more.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

OfflineApple core
Television Man

Re: Psychedelic intrest & new growers Q's [Re: Shroominit]
    #10312278 - 05/09/09 10:26 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Welcome to the shroomery man!

Your grow looks workable, maybe a bit heavy on the spores, but you'll most likely be fine!

I started cultivating a few months ago and I'd recommend a few tips (this is just my opinion though, take it, leave it, read around it, it's up to you!):

1) I had problems finding organic BRF in UK too so I bought some organic brown rice and made my own with a breadcrumb maker!
2) If you want to make your spores go further - try a liquid culture! I've recently turned 4 ml of spores into 400ml of mycellium heavy liquid!
3) You said you used some plastic jars did they hold up ok when you sterilized them?

If you have any questions about UK equivalents or anything feel free to PM me - all my sources are pretty up to date! I'm not promising anything - but I'll do what I can!

Good luck!

Offlinepsydesign
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Psychedelic intrest & new growers Q's [Re: Apple core]
    #10312339 - 05/09/09 10:49 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Doc T: Thankyou for hitting the nail on the head.
Quote:

Loc: Colorado

I use to live in Denver :laugh:

Apple core:
Thanks alot for your response. I'm definatly intrested in making my spores go further (for festival season! :grin:). Will research and get back to you.
Liquid culture - is it hard or easy?
3.) The plastic jars held up fine luckily, whilst I steralised them for 90 mins in a steamer.

Have you had any problems whilst attempting to grow? Or  are there any common pot-holes I should be aware of?
Was your first cultivation a sucess?

Peas

OfflineCharlie2
Stranger
    #10312347 - 05/09/09 10:51 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Very informative posts. I am new with shrooms, so any information helps.

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: Psychedelic intrest & new growers Q's [Re: Charlie2]
    #10312375 - 05/09/09 10:58 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

LC is as easy as anything else, really. There's lots of ways. One of the simplest is linked from my sig block- Agar's Grain LC. Watch RR's videos, too.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

InvisibleShroominit
Part Time Mycologist

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Psychedelic intrest & new growers Q's [Re: Doc_T]
    #10312395 - 05/09/09 11:03 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Biggest problem is contamination, but if you made PF jars just like the tek/video says you should have no problem with that.

Get a fruiting chamber set up before you dunk/roll the cakes... make sure they get plenty of fresh air and humidity and you will be good to go.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract