Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleShaw

hepa filters inside an incubator?
    #1030929 - 11/07/02 12:51 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I am considering installind a hepa filter in my incubator. I am wondering about the humidity on the incubator. I have both paper wicks in it now, and there is some condensation on the walls. The fan on this one runs continuously, so i'm thinking of adding a non hepa filter, because i figure some filter is better than none.

I currently have a plywood incubator. It is a carbon copy of the poultry incubator it was copied from, without the unnessicary peices. Anyways, the design is simple. There is a shelf in the top, which has a gap in the front and back. There is a fan, heating wire, humidity wicks, a wafer thermostat, and a thermometer, above the shelf. The fan sucks air up the back and blows it through everything, then it's forced back down the front. It keeps at least 24 jars percectly at 84 deg. I only have 4 in it, because that's all i have need for. I will likely use the same unit for a fruiting chamber, so that will hold 2 nice sized treys.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleBilge
longtimenoC

Loc: USA
Re: hepa filters inside an incubator? [Re: Shaw]
    #1031800 - 11/07/02 08:37 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

i strongly suggest against using a wood container for incubation and especially for fruiting cakes for two reasons: 1. you can't clean plywood as well as you can clean glass or plastic and 2. the plywood will suck up humidity, degrading the plywood and making a nice place for mold to grow. you'd probably be better off with a styrofoam cooler or plastic bin. if you decide to keep with the wooden fruiting chamber, i would start monitoring humidity now because with all that air moving and porous wood you may not be able to keep it at the right rh for cakes.

--------------------
Shopping for your head? Visit HeadShopFinder.com or find Online Head Shops.

InvisibleShaw

Re: hepa filters inside an incubator? [Re: Bilge]
    #1032538 - 11/07/02 01:06 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I'm using a sealed and coated plywood, that is painted with waterproof paint, and all interior joints are silicon sealed. I didn't make the design, the manufacturing company i copied it from did.

--------------------

InvisibleBilge
longtimenoC

Loc: USA
Re: hepa filters inside an incubator? [Re: Shaw]
    #1032565 - 11/07/02 01:10 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

cool! rubbermaid designed mine  :grin:

--------------------
Shopping for your head? Visit HeadShopFinder.com or find Online Head Shops.

InvisibleShaw

Re: hepa filters inside an incubator? [Re: Bilge]
    #1032690 - 11/07/02 01:37 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I had a rubbermaid setup, but then said what the hell and made an unnessicarily big one. it wasn't that expensive either. I'm still working on the rubbermaid setup for fun. hopefully i'll have it to within +/-1 degree by this spring. What size are you using? I have the 18 gallon toats from years ago, but i'd like to use something bigger. I'm thinking about just using one inside the other to creat an air chamber for insulation, or maybe an 18 inside a slightly larger one with packing peanuts for insulation. I know it's an overkill, but it could be used outside if nessicary.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix