Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinenicechrisman
Interdimensional space wizard
Male User Gallery

Other grains?
    #10305945 - 05/08/09 12:49 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Yes, I did try doing a search, but couldn't really find anything to sink my teeth into.

So what other grains, besides the usual suspects have people had good results with? Quinoa, Spelt, barley,wheat, etc?

Just curious. A friend of mine was telling me that a lot of people that he used to hang with used barley. I don't see that being very popular around these parts.

ps I did find limited info by looking up the specific grains, but not really a discussion of all the different ones available.

--------------------
"Cosmic Love is absolutelely ruthless and highly indifferent:
it teaches its lessons whether you like/dislike them or not."

John C. Lily

Edited by nicechrisman (05/08/09 12:58 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Loc: The North
Re: Other grains? [Re: nicechrisman]
    #10305985 - 05/08/09 01:03 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I just got a shitload of wheat on the cheep from a local producer and members here assured me many grains work. I asked in the gourmet forum and people said pretty much any grain will work. I bet the biggest issue with some of those may instead be getting the right moisture content and avoiding sliminess. Either way most of those grains are probibly better than WBS.

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
- Author and former M6/M5 agent John le Carré on Democracy Now.
Conquer's Club

Offlinenicechrisman
Male User Gallery

Re: Other grains? [Re: ScavengerType]
    #10306006 - 05/08/09 01:11 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, I've definitely hear of people having good success with wheat, but I wonder why it's lack of popularity? Everyone around here really favors either rye, or wbs/millet. I'm sure many others would work well, I guess just not enough people are experimenting/perfecting/writing teks. I'm sure its been done with many different grains, but you just don't hear alot of talk about them...

--------------------

John C. Lily

OfflineNoBrainNoPain
Enthusiast noob

Loc: here
    #10306008 - 05/08/09 01:11 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I have just inoculated my first 2 spelt jars following RR rye tek. It seems a bit more compact than it should but ok anyway.
I have tested 5 small jars with a mix of 1/2 wheat + 1/4 red quinoa + 1/4 millet, but realized too late that the millet was "unhulled" (without the enveloppe? sorry for my english...) and after the pc, the grains were very compact. I shaked very well and inoculated.
Just have to wait now...
You may want to hear others advices, because it is my fisrt attempt ;-)

--------------------
I would love a woodlover's print… PM If you have one and want to trade

Offlinenicechrisman
Male User Gallery

Re: Other grains? [Re: NoBrainNoPain]
    #10306025 - 05/08/09 01:14 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I've noticed that much of the millet that you find that's food grade is hulled. You can find it with the hulls at feed stores sometimes(at least the one in my town), but it's not food grade, and I kinda prefer to stick with that for my grain, that's why I don't do wbs.

Sounds like some fun experimentation though.

Who's tried the hulled millet? Any luck?

--------------------

John C. Lily

Edited by nicechrisman (05/08/09 01:16 AM)

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

#10306091 - 05/08/09 01:28 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I've never seen millet with the hull and I don't think people use it with the hull, actually I think cheap millet is the only reason people use WBS at all.

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
Conquer's Club

Offlinenicechrisman
Male User Gallery

#10306109 - 05/08/09 01:31 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

pretty sure wbs is millet in the hull.

Maybe I'm not sure if I understand you correctly?

--------------------

John C. Lily

Edited by nicechrisman (05/08/09 01:32 AM)

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

#10306148 - 05/08/09 01:40 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

A hull is the outside husk that holds the seed. As far as I find I haven't seen a brand of WBS that leaves the millet in the hull.

--------------------
Conquer's Club

Offlinenicechrisman
Male User Gallery

#10306170 - 05/08/09 01:50 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Oh, maybe I was misunderstanding what they meant by "hulled" in reference to millet. I assumed it meant that the outer shell of the seed had been removed. I guess I haven't looked at it up close at the health food store before, just assumed it was different. I'll have to check it out.

--------------------

John C. Lily

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag