Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinefungusapien
Nomad
Male

Loc: PNW Flag
What are these fruits lacking? (pic)
    #10299310 - 05/06/09 08:32 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

According to the digital gauge(not reliable, I know) I am using, RH is at 99% and temp. is 70 degrees F. Misting and fanning 4-5 times a day, and there is an air pump connected to a bubble wand-which is buried beneath geolite/water-running 24/7. 15 watt CFL bulb providing light for 12 hrs. a day, situated about 3 ft. above FC. Still not sure why the fruits mature when they are less than 2 inches tall. Veils breaking, and caps cracking...any input?

--------------------
"It achieved symbiosis with human society early by associating itself with domesticated cattle." - T. McKenna

take a vacation, leave yourself behind...

**All posts are for research purposes only, and all content of said posts is hypothetical and entirely fictional.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: What are these fruits lacking? (pic) [Re: fungusapien]
    #10299322 - 05/06/09 08:34 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

small mushrooms are usually from lack of moisture within your subtsrate.

Also, those caps look a bit slimey, you should be fanning after misting so that you dry up any pool sof moisture, which can cause bacteria to grow (bacterial blotch)

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Invisibleshroomiin
unprofound

Loc: Zone 6 Flag
Re: What are these fruits lacking? (pic) [Re: veda_sticks]
    #10299567 - 05/06/09 09:19 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

ah those are some sorry lookin' lil guys :shrug:

what color range does your lightbulb fall into? i know they like the blue spectrum...i use a "daylight" cfl. not sure if possibly having the "wrong" kind could cause small fruit?

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: What are these fruits lacking? (pic) [Re: shroomiin]
    #10299799 - 05/06/09 10:03 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

having poor lighting wont cause small mushrooms.

small mushrooms are from lack of moisture.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Offlinefungusapien
Nomad
Male

Loc: PNW Flag
Re: What are these fruits lacking? (pic) [Re: veda_sticks]
    #10300101 - 05/06/09 11:14 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks Veda. That makes plenty of sense considering the 8 week colonization time for that jar. My mix was apparently lacking moisture and now that's a problem, anything i can do, or just let that jar do it's thing and work on water content next time?

--------------------
"It achieved symbiosis with human society early by associating itself with domesticated cattle." - T. McKenna

take a vacation, leave yourself behind...

**All posts are for research purposes only, and all content of said posts is hypothetical and entirely fictional.

Offlinejono3425
Small Potatoes

#10300136 - 05/06/09 11:21 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Dunk before next flush?

--------------------
Everything written from this account is part of a social experiment, and totaly fictitious in nature.

Offlinemozartvicious
Perma Trails
Male

Loc: Dead luck hubris
    #10300181 - 05/06/09 11:36 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, he's right, lack of moisture... not only in your substrate (which is quite important) but also in the environment you're growing it in.
It sounds like your moisture setup in your FC should be doing the trick, but sometimes it's just not enough... my Gauge used to read 100% RH sometimes and I'd still get sorry looking shrooms, then realize I needed a serious perlite re-hydration.
If there was such a thing, I would say Aim for 150% RH.

One time during the winter I was using a water tub heater (An Aquarium heater in water to heat the water thus warming the FC) underneath of my FC, a small amount of the bottom layer the perlite was actually in the water... it was set up to draw in oxygen too... I thought my humidity levels were always rather well, but with the innovative intention to heat my FC, I actually added an extremely high amount of moisture which ultimately produced MEGA mushrooms... too big for me to even stomach eating.

Now I use a "Double Barrel" Shotgun FC, which is essentially two FC's in one... The bottom and top FC both have the same amount of Perlite and the similar air pulling design, but with this you can allow the perlite in the TOP Fc to stay moister and excess water is caught in the bottom FC... the bottom FC allows moisture to evaporate slowly into the top FC then having the Top FC being able to deliver much more evaporating water and thus an ample supply of moisture which creates decent sized fruits.

Most people will say you don't need to do all this, and they're right, you don't, but it works wonders for me.

--------------------

Friend- "Dude, A lot of people thought you were a snob in High School"

ME- "What? I didn't even talk to those people"

Offlineoverman
Stranger
Male

Loc: Okla
    #10300198 - 05/06/09 11:38 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

It could be genetics too.
I have a ten gallon aquarium so went with the PMP, fanning and misting twice a day half the fruits look like yours and the other half aborted. Funny thing is I did a grow ten years ago with the exact same strain using the old PF tek with a spray shield, no perlite, no fae holes, fanned and misted twice a day (that's two air exchanges every 24 hrs) and the result were spectacular compared to this grow.
I've now switched to the shotgun terrarium but after two weeks they're just sitting there, starting to think these are one hit wonders.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract