Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineApple core
Television Man

British Triple Filtered Self Healing Liquid Culture Jars - Top Notch! Now with pictures!
    #10297496 - 05/06/09 03:31 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

A little tek for UK enthusiasts...

(Makes 1)
You will need:
1 empty clean 'Bon Maman' jam jar with lid
1 stopper from a contact lens vial (OR silicon sealant would work)
1 13mm drill bit and drill *
1 Painting overall *(will last you ages - its made of tyvek!)
3 13mm metal washers *(I used 10mm - as long as the outside is no smaller than 13mm you should be ok.)
Some tape...
1 tube of 'UniBond Rapair Extreme Power Glue' *

* - this means you can get these items from the nationwide DIY chain that I'm not going to directly plug on here! :wink:

Steps:
1) Take your lid and drill 2 holes in it - try to keep it on the flat parts of the lid, if you hit the tamper button it will make late steps difficult (but not impossible!). Make sure you remove any little shards of metal around the holes.

2) Use the adhesive as instructions dictate to glue the stopper into one of the holes (OR use the silicon sealant here instead). Cut a small square of tyvek paint suit and stick that over the other.

3) Take your 3 washers and 2 more squares of tyvek and glue them together in alternate layers - i.e. Washer, tyvek, washer, tyvek, washer.

4) Glue this tyvek-washer sandwich over the tyvek covered hole on the lid.

5) Tape the stopper and filter in place and leave to set for 48 hours - if you're using the unibond glue.

And voila! One self healing, triple filtered LC jar!

NB: When you first pressure cook one of these, you may notice a melting plastic kind of smell - don't worry! I think it's something to do with the glue - it will still hold tight though!

Feel free to add stirring rods if you have a magnetic stirrer - that's what I've done!

Pictures!
Injection port:

Filter:

Whole Jar:

NB: The little hole not mentioned in the design - that's just due to the fact that I use an extremely large gauge marinade syringe for my LC transfers - I thought it may ruin the self healing port so I gave it it's own. For those of you in the same aquatic transport vessel, just find a drill bit that matches the gauge of your needle, make your hole and micropore tape both sides. Again, that's only for people with marinade injectors - normal syringes will work fine through the self healing port. 

Sorry they're sideways!

Edited by Apple core (05/07/09 05:26 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJaicen
Psychedelic Monk
 User Gallery

Re: British Triple Filtered Self Healing Liquid Culture Jars - Top Notch! [Re: Apple core]
    #10298416 - 05/06/09 06:06 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

:picdidnthappen:

Seriously, great tech, and good to see someone else from the right side of the pond about... :smile:

OfflineApple core
Television Man

Re: British Triple Filtered Self Healing Liquid Culture Jars - Top Notch! [Re: Jaicen]
    #10298488 - 05/06/09 06:24 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Cheers man, thought I'd give a little back to a forum where being British is almost a disability at times! It's so hard to find specific UK information sometimes...

I'll get some pictures up soon...

PLUS! I just found a little blob of mycelium in one of my jars so it's all good!

Invisibleinfinitechaos7
Mycophagist
Male User Gallery

Re: British Triple Filtered Self Healing Liquid Culture Jars - Top Notch! [Re: Apple core]
    #10298514 - 05/06/09 06:28 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

How is this UK specific?  I like the idea a lot, but it seems like this could be easily completed in both the US and UK, right?

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
    #10298544 - 05/06/09 06:33 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Apple core said:
Cheers man, thought I'd give a little back to a forum where being British is almost a disability at times! It's so hard to find specific UK information sometimes...

I'll get some pictures up soon...

PLUS! I just found a little blob of mycelium in one of my jars so it's all good!

nice tek.

I agree, canning jars dont exist here. But you can get widemouth jars from tesco, its tesco preserve which are pretty cheap, there next to the ones you mention.

sweet always wondered where you find tyvek over here, though im intersted in getting some filter discs.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

OfflineApple core
Television Man

Re: British Triple Filtered Self Healing Liquid Culture Jars - Top Notch! [Re: veda_sticks]
    #10300730 - 05/07/09 03:53 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Infinite - You're right - it could be easily done in the US too, it's just that this tek gives you specific info on British brands, equivalents and suppliers that some UK enthusiasts may have not thought about.

It took me a while to compile a suitable list of alternatives to canning jars, tyvek envelopes, etc - so I just thought I'd put it all in one place so it's not so hard for the next person!

By the way, I have no reason to believe you could not make these exact same lids for grain jars - for you British folk, you can just wash out large mayonnaise or olive jars!

InvisibleFractalXplora
Grainiack
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #10300753 - 05/07/09 04:14 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

I agree, canning jars don't exist here. But you can get widemouth jars from tesco, its tesco preserve which are pretty cheap, there next to the ones you mention.

yes they do. http://www.tjhughes.co.uk/

£2.50 each kilner jars quart size or here.

http://www.kilnerjarsuk.co.uk/

UK equivalent to the ball jars. puuuurfect.

oh and endless supply of tyvek suits, very handy, ps. save the sleves for your glove box!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TYVEK-SPRAY-PAPER-OVERALLS-SUIT-SIZE-L_W0QQitemZ160323867934QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item160323867934&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Edited by FractalXplora (05/07/09 04:16 AM)

OfflineDropScience
Stranger

Re: British Triple Filtered Self Healing Liquid Culture Jars - Top Notch! [Re: FractalXplora]
    #10300865 - 05/07/09 05:09 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

agars lids apparently have reincarnated in britian

OfflineApple core
Television Man

Re: British Triple Filtered Self Healing Liquid Culture Jars - Top Notch! [Re: DropScience]
    #10300891 - 05/07/09 05:19 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah - actually they're a combination of Agar's lid design, Scubabuddha's contact lens stopper discovery, and a good dose of my own research.

I love it when a plan comes together!

OfflineElectric305
Hunter
 User Gallery

Loc: florida
    #10301334 - 05/07/09 08:26 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

reply i been working on similar jars for lc's.easiest way i do em is i use small 250 ml mason jars where i can get the needle to the bottom of the jar.I make a lid with injector and filter tape patch(recently i have started using thick medical self healing latex under the lid,cut in semi circle to reduce splash-back on the filter patch).i put about 200 ml of nutrient solution,sterilize,then all at once i inject one 10 cc spore syringe into that small jar.i then take two 60 cc syringes and suck up spores nutrient solution and all into them,then refill jar with nutrient solution.wait about three days and you will lots of living myc.at this point you have two large living syringes and one jar of lc you can repeatedly fill,allow of grow,and use as needed.

Offlinebunnybear
apprentice
Male

Loc: the misty mountain top
Re: British Triple Filtered Self Healing Liquid Culture Jars - Top Notch! [Re: Electric305]
    #10314431 - 05/09/09 08:35 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

i've herd alot of mixed opinions about LC's needing air exchange, what do you guys think about this? aslo has anyone tried using IV tubing with the threaded needle attachment on their lids?

OfflineElectric305
Hunter
 User Gallery

Loc: florida
Re: British Triple Filtered Self Healing Liquid Culture Jars - Top Notch! [Re: bunnybear]
    #10315311 - 05/10/09 12:01 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

that s a really good idea.i may try that.i know they need an air hole so your not sucking liquid from a vacuum,other than that they dont need much air

OfflineApple core
Television Man

Re: British Triple Filtered Self Healing Liquid Culture Jars - Top Notch! [Re: Electric305]
    #10315887 - 05/10/09 04:24 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

My LCs have definitely benefited from air exchange. I noticed this when I made my first jar - the lid melted in the PC so I just taped the foil over the open jar and inoculated though that, taping it up with micropore tape when I was done. It grew really slowly for 7 days.

When I was inoculating to my PF cakes, I had to make a big hole in the foil to get my syringe right to the bottom. I covered this hole loosely with another layer of foil. After that my LC grew crazy fast!

The two jars I've made with this design have made far more than the first in about half the time!

If you think about it - PF cakes need uncovered holes to colonise quickly - so the mycellium needs some air exchange. In an LC the same thing is happening - so air exchange is necessary.

I'm not saying you won't get growth in non aerated LC - just that growth will most likely stall when all the liquid has been saturated with CO2 - which has a much higher affinity to dissolve in water than O2.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag