Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisibledaytripper23
?
Male

Loc: Flag
What is a healthy cynicism?
    #10296111 - 05/06/09 10:15 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

About food;

If the vitamins and nutrients are just added to juice and other foods, why do they only add the vitamins that supposedly reflect what is "natural". For instance, the pasteurization process eliminates most the vitamin C and other nutrients in many juice drinks, so the food industry "restores" this by adding absorbic acid (vitamin C).

Sure, this is not a huge deal in itself, but I think the false consciousness that it implies is frightening. 

Not that adding vitamins is a problem in itself, in fact it is appreciated; but it makes me wonder to what extent the food industry is making a false appeal to naturalism, at the expense of what could really be greater health. Why would they only add vitamin C, when they could add all sorts of nutrients? Clearly they are clinging to what seems natural, and it only takes a little bit of thought to realize this.

Are we essentially drinking cool aide with vitamins?
Could we just drink cool aide with vitamins?
I enjoy these new vitamin water drinks, and they seem to offer more nutrients than pasturized juice...

Obviously I am not just talking just about juice, its just one example of the consumer phenomenon. I wonder how much healthier I could be, if I understood more clearly what is natural and artificial. It seems like this line is being intentionally blurred to our detriment.

And its not that I would suddenly revert to one or the other, but would supplement each to each other.

There are many foods that seem to fall in between the cracks of natural and artificial, pasturized and concentrated juice just being one of them. I suppose what I am asking is how to incorporate these notions of "natural" and "artifial" into my diet, and where good and bad faith lies in these ideas.

Obviously, this is going to require at least some faith, because natural and artificial are entirely malleable concepts, philosophically speaking.

Hopefully you guys understand what I am getting at.

--------------------
Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
  The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
  The frumious Bandersnatch!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFraggin
Multi-Faceted
 User Gallery

Re: What is a healthy cynicism? [Re: daytripper23]
    #10296145 - 05/06/09 10:24 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

What's the question again?

How should I eat to maintain a healthy balance of nutritional intake when most foods are processed to the point of having no life force, and late replenished with vitamins?

If that's your question, then eat foods that haven't been messed with.

Squeezed OJ, Leafy Greens, Fresh Produce, Raw meats, Whole Milk and reserve the lifeless foods as treats.

Refine your question and I will refine my answer.

Invisibledaytripper23
?
Male

Re: What is a healthy cynicism? [Re: Fraggin]
    #10296269 - 05/06/09 10:53 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Yea, I know I wasn't very clear.

I do not wish to entirely revert to natural foods, although I have been down that road, so I do have some understanding of its benefits. The main problem is that it is all very expensive, and not always feasible to a culinary aesthetic. For instance, if I were to give up pasteurized juice, I would in all likelihood be giving up juice all together, because I would neither go out of my way in time or money to actually juice my fruits or vegies.

My main focus though, is that I think there are probably many benefits of artificial foods and I would like to take advantage of. I realize it is circumstantial, but what Im saying is Id like to have a healthy natural and artificial diet, without the dogma; whether it is faith in nature or the FDA. I am very cynical of the FDA,  but I do not think they are just a bunch of outright liars. Also, I think that investing faith of health in nature is generally a good idea, but I have also seen and experienced that it can be pretty dogmatic too.

Sorry that its still not very clear, but thats sort of the point; its not clear to me what I look for in food. So maybe its not so much a specific question, but a general premise to generate a discussion. So if this is prodding your mental circuits in any way, Id like to here what you think. Id like to hear yours or anyones shroomy health wisdom.

--------------------

InvisiblePyroBurns
душа кофе

#10296356 - 05/06/09 11:10 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

IMO I like to break down food in this manner:

Provides you energy > Provides proteins and usable amino acids > Provides smaller nutrients like A,C, B6, etc.. > Can easily be emptied from the body without disruption or bacterial imbalance > Provides polyphenols > Farmed in a sustainable way

all the above encapsulated in "tastes really damn good".

The last two are new but now I'm beginning my long hard arduous journey to beyond organic. I've always been interested in it but always put it off because it's so easy for me to step outside and catch the streetcar to Whole Foods and Fred Meyers. And I never believed in polyphenols specifically because I shop at places like Whole Foods and see that they love to rape yuppie wallets with promises of antioxidants and all kinds of far flung and especially expensive ingredients.

But I've began reading the Omnivore's Dilemma and not only can physically feel a big difference from being mostly organic, but see that it seems pretty straight forward after all. Do you think tomatoes grown on soil that's so violently raped every year, it needs a massive cocktail of chemical ferilizers, pesticides, and other weird shit just to grow or tomatoes grown on healthy soil where both the tomato and soil benefit from each other while needing no chemicals is going to be better? Even if I'm wrong I don't feel like eating the shit from the latter. And besides I don't like to support industrialized farming or big organic because they don't give a shit about anything but "efficiency" and "profits". But get this: considering there is no "free lunch" economically, their efficiency and profits is doing nothing but harming the world and leeching money and resources from everyone else. Even the farmers themselves are often just tools of the big corporation. Fuck that shit.

So that's what I look for. I don't think it's that hard to look around for good food that's cheap and today I'm going to check out this local food co-op and hope to god it's affordable. No more Whole Foods after that food poisoning last night.

--------------------
Remember to cut your nails regularly.

Invisibledaytripper23
?
Male

Re: What is a healthy cynicism? [Re: PyroBurns]
    #10296477 - 05/06/09 11:35 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Yea, thats what I am wondering; how do you break it down?

Some good points there, I have had similar experiences...

--------------------

InvisiblePyroBurns
душа кофе

#10296531 - 05/06/09 11:46 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Do you mean how do I find food?

I sample a lot of different things and read about them a lot while looking at their nutrition profiles. I think about how they are realted: what foods taste similar and have similar color (usually have similar nutrition profiles), which ones provide different types of healthful feelings, which ones share texture. Then I cogitate on these and eat accordingly when I feel necessary.

My food groupings are a bit different than most people's.

Carrots, Bananas, and yams all belong to the same family for me for example.

http://www.whfoods.com/

is a so-so place to start. Nutrition calculators like fitday reveal micronutrients which helps a lot considering food labels generally only show what, A C Iron and Calcium?

--------------------

InvisiblePyroBurns
душа кофе

Re: What is a healthy cynicism? [Re: PyroBurns]
    #10299022 - 05/06/09 07:47 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds