Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDr. uarewotueat
Peyote Farmer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Uk / Philippines
New Rule For The Garden - No Poaching Or Stealing Of Plants.
    #10295253 - 05/06/09 04:08 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

i'm pretty sure that many of the garden regulars are tired of seeing threads from people who intend to locate and take plants from the wild. otherwise known as poaching.

most countries have laws which prohibit the taking of plants from the wild without special permits and we are now going to be enforcing this here in the garden forum.

i know threads that discuss the taking of plants from the wild do not come up often but i have seen a few. and i have definitely seen a few members here speak of going to places and taking plants from the wild.

actions such as these are harming our environment and the existing wild populations of certain endangered species, lophophora for example.

the new rule will also cover the taking of plants from private and public property without the owners permission.

stealing and poaching of plants is ILLEGAL, so don't do it!

anyone who admits to doing so or shows intent to do so, will be banned from the ethnobotanical garden forum, no questions asked.

you'll find that the following has been added to the forum rules...

Quote:

Poaching and theft of plants is illegal. Anyone who shows intent to do so or admits to taking plants from the wild, from a private property or public property without permission will be banned from the Ethnobotanical Garden Forum temporarily, if not permanently.

i'd also like to take the opportunity to remind everyone (especially the new people) to read the forum rules and understand them, they are changed and added to from time to time and therefore everyone should be checking them occasionally.

--------------------
View My Gallery

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleBrainiac
Rogue Scientist
Male

Loc: 與您的女朋 Flag
Re: New Rule For The Garden - No Poaching Or Stealing Of Plants. [Re: Dr. uarewotueat]
    #10295295 - 05/06/09 04:27 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

:congrats: ----> :rules:  :yesnod:

--------------------
:Awesketch:

:cool: Fair is Fair :devil:

Offlineoriky
Green Boy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Israel
Re: New Rule For The Garden - No Poaching Or Stealing Of Plants. [Re: Brainiac]
    #10295463 - 05/06/09 06:08 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

clever decision

--------------------
Trade list

Offlinekadakuda
The Great"Green".......East
 User Gallery

Loc: Asia
Re: New Rule For The Garden - No Poaching Or Stealing Of Plants. [Re: oriky]
    #10295571 - 05/06/09 06:55 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

good call....its important for us to remember this is not like mushroom hunting which is more like picking apples rather than pulling trees.

good call.

--------------------
The seeds you won't sow are the plants you dont grow.

OfflineJB201
Desert Dweller
Male User Gallery

Loc: Sonoran Desert
Re: New Rule For The Garden - No Poaching Or Stealing Of Plants. [Re: kadakuda]
    #10295615 - 05/06/09 07:14 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

This will be a great addition to the rules. I hate poachers, and I especially hate people that steal cacti cuttings from my yard... All they have to do is knock on the door and ask for a cutting and I would oblige them, but instead they hack off a limb and disfigure my plants.

Luckily this has only happened once, with a big Cereus in my front yard. Maybe they thought it was T. Pachanoi?

--------------------

Edited by JB201 (05/06/09 07:15 AM)

OfflineCactusdan
Patecatl
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: New Rule For The Garden - No Poaching Or Stealing Of Plants. [Re: JB201]
    #10296171 - 05/06/09 10:31 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Here Here Doc!

:congrats:

--------------------

Offlineplainswalker
Plant Shepherd
Male
Re: New Rule For The Garden - No Poaching Or Stealing Of Plants. [Re: Cactusdan]
    #10296257 - 05/06/09 10:50 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Good call. :thumbup::peace:

--------------------
tradelist

Offlineethnoguy
"Raper of Mother Nature"
Male User Gallery

Loc: your momma's house
Re: New Rule For The Garden - No Poaching Or Stealing Of Plants. [Re: plainswalker]
    #10296345 - 05/06/09 11:09 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Glad I don't live close to anywhere they naturally grow lol. Good rule. I'm sure we will see a few bans this summer.

EG

InvisibleMankey
Male
Re: New Rule For The Garden - No Poaching Or Stealing Of Plants. [Re: ethnoguy]
    #10296408 - 05/06/09 11:20 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

ethnoguy said:
Glad I don't live close to anywhere they naturally grow lol. Good rule. I'm sure we will see a few bans this summer.

EG

Ditto... except opuntia compressa.

InvisibleBig L
In tall buildings
 User Gallery

Loc: Luxury
Re: New Rule For The Garden - No Poaching Or Stealing Of Plants. [Re: Dr. uarewotueat]
    #10296449 - 05/06/09 11:28 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Good rule :handth:

--------------------

OfflineTheManWithTheHat
Pirate
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Wonder Land
Re: New Rule For The Garden - No Poaching Or Stealing Of Plants. [Re: Mankey]
    #10296530 - 05/06/09 11:45 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Just curious, but are you wanting this to extend over plants that grow in abundance?
(The first example that comes to mind would be something like dandelion or chives)

This may be my personal opinion and all, I definitely agree that when someone's taking an entire relatively uncommon plant away from its natural locale its bad:thumbdown:, but it does seem like there are instances that there's really zero impact from small specimens.

It just kind of feels like that zero-tolerance policy that the guv'ment always promotes. It seems better to demonstrate responsible specimen collecting than just banning it [Such as uploading a picture of a large volume of them, indicating what size specimen they want to take, and then have the community pass judgment on the matter]. To me that is.

What are your thoughts, good Dr?

pleasedon'tbanmedead

And because every post needs something to make it worth it
WATER OPUNTIA!

It's been growing in only water since January.
Just woke up from dormancy... a few weeks ago, i think.
It was originally just a big hunk of root-stuff.

Offlinedrift
Male User Gallery

#10296689 - 05/06/09 12:14 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

JB201 said:Luckily this has only happened once, with a big Cereus in my front yard. Maybe they thought it was T. Pachanoi?

If so, I hope they choked on their nasty inactive cacti flesh.

OfflineJB201
Desert Dweller
Male User Gallery

Re: New Rule For The Garden - No Poaching Or Stealing Of Plants. [Re: drift]
    #10297428 - 05/06/09 03:20 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

drift said:
Quote:

JB201 said:Luckily this has only happened once, with a big Cereus in my front yard. Maybe they thought it was T. Pachanoi?

Same here... They must have used a kitchen knife because the cut was anything but straight. They really hacked the shit out of it. I re-cut, and It's looking much better now that it has two large pups growing from where the branch used to be.

--------------------

OfflineTheManWithTheHat
Pirate
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10297534 - 05/06/09 03:38 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

JB201 said:
Quote:

drift said:
Quote:

Same here... They must have used a kitchen knife because the cut was anything but straight. They really hacked the shit out of it. I re-cut, and It's looking much better now that it has two large pups growing from where the branch used to be.

Yeesh. I would be punch-a-sizing faces. :thumbdown:

OfflineJB201
Desert Dweller
Male User Gallery

Re: New Rule For The Garden - No Poaching Or Stealing Of Plants. [Re: TheManWithTheHat]
    #10297674 - 05/06/09 04:05 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

TheManWithTheHat said:

Yeesh. I would be punch-a-sizing faces. :thumbdown:

It happened during the middle of the night, so I never knew who did it. I would have given them a cutting if they had just asked me. I've asked neighbors for cuttings before, most of them usually say: Yeah, sure, go ahead. I even formed a trade relationship with one of my neighbors and we swap cuttings every now and then.

I read that in Mexico, illegal cacti poaching/smuggling is the third largest smuggling industry behind drugs and guns, and that the majority of the poached cacti die before reaching the black market.

All the more reason to propagate rare species that could possibly become extinct, via grafting methods/liquid culture/e.t.c.... Then possibly re-introduce them back into their natural habitat, or at the very least, to keep them in cultivation. That way rare species aren't just lost to us forever due to poaching.

Invisibledanielx
whatup!
 User Gallery

#10297947 - 05/06/09 04:45 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Is it considered bad karma/etiquette to take just a cutting or two of a wild cacti? Obviously I'm not talking about pulling out a endangered willamsi but would it really do any harm if I took a prickley pair cutting that I find interesting now and again? As long as the cactus isn't harmed of course.

OfflineProf. Astro
acirebma

Re: New Rule For The Garden - No Poaching Or Stealing Of Plants. [Re: danielx]
    #10297996 - 05/06/09 04:52 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Opuntia are in no way endangered and most consider them nuisances, they grow so fast and the pads aren't noticeable if they are taken. If it is not in someones yard just take an Opuntia pad. An arm of another cactus, I would say no.

--------------------
:hanky:

Offlinecarpetmunch
Stranger

Loc: America
Re: New Rule For The Garden - No Poaching Or Stealing Of Plants. [Re: Prof. Astro]
    #10298167 - 05/06/09 05:18 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Whoa!! wait a minute....

I think it would be better to educate people that come here looking to poach wild plants.
Rather than being punitive and banning them.  I would rather this be a place where I could
come away with a better understanding of why it is not good to do such a thing. To be told
what to do instead and to encourage their interest and love of these great plants. Rather than
alienate, anger people and leave them to them go do it anyway.
Dont we want to encourage people to  also enjoy the plants as we do?  Let us welcome them,
educate them on where to source the plants they are interested in.  Get them to stay here and
use the marketplace, etc.

Making it illegal to do this or that, or leaving some topics forbidden should not be what
this site is about.  We know the result of making things illegal...it does not work.

What about an addition to the FAQ dealing with this topic, with the input of the good folks here
I am sure that it could be something positive.

thanks, cm

--------------------
You gotta do what you gotta do.  Sometimes you gotta munch cactus, some times you gotta munch carpet!

OfflineSalviNate
Misnomer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dablands Flag
Re: New Rule For The Garden - No Poaching Or Stealing Of Plants. [Re: carpetmunch]
    #10298373 - 05/06/09 05:57 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Seeds? Cuttings? im sure that is a much better alternitive than taking the whole plant.

--------------------

OfflineTheManWithTheHat
Pirate
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: New Rule For The Garden - No Poaching Or Stealing Of Plants. [Re: SalviNate]
    #10298407 - 05/06/09 06:05 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

SalviNate said:
Seeds? Cuttings? im sure that is a much better alternitive than taking the whole plant.

I meant cuttings when I was saying small samplesss
Except for like ridiculously common plants
But yeah

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck