Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinelines
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
Technology and Culture
    #10288365 - 05/05/09 02:45 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I am not against technology and I am not a primitivist. However I think that the industrial revolution did have some bad effects on the world. First of all it destroyed local cultures. The industrial revolution allowed for the mass transportation of people and goods and the result of this is that local cultures became disoriented due to people coming and going. What I am referring to is what happens within towns and small communities. What I am saying is not race oriented... it is not racism. I consider what i am talking about to be localistic(localism). Mass transportation and mass information exchange also makes it so that local cultures get destroyed by nationalising the culture. The centers of culture nationalisation in The USA seem to be in the northeast.... many places in the northeast seem to lack a local consciousness... if places in the northeast had more of a local consciousness maybe they would be less apt to meddle in the affairs of other people throughout the nation. Technological progression has increased and thus the nationalisation of culture has taken a step forward and now we are experiencing a globalisation of culture. I believe in harnessing the power of technology however it makes sense for society to limit its rate of technological progress. If a federation of world scientists had gathered in the 1800's for the purpose of avoiding publishing certain knowledges and avoiding publishing certain technologies then the world would still be centered around local cultures. despite these feelings I am fond of the internet.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: SF Bay Area Flag
Re: Technology and Culture [Re: lines]
    #10288395 - 05/05/09 03:02 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Perhaps it is best that cultures integrate into a balanced equilibrium consisting of all the positive aspects of each culture, instead of being organized into arbitrary competing and cooperating groups. :shrug:

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

Offlinelines
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Technology and Culture [Re: Poid]
    #10288430 - 05/05/09 03:17 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

An integration of cultures is not a bad thing. However I am fond of the idea of a distinct local culture. It does not bother me if a local culture has integrated positive aspects of various other cultures though.

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10288439 - 05/05/09 03:20 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Agreed! :robblerobble:

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

Offlinelines
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Technology and Culture [Re: Poid]
    #10288476 - 05/05/09 03:40 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I think a good strategy that could be employed in order to preserve and encourage the creation of local cultures is for people to outlaw the use of cars. If everyone had to use public transportation people would spend more time in their neighborhoods and they would congregate amongst the people of their neighborhoods.

If cars were outlawed zoning laws would have to be removed too. Zoning laws make it so that people can not have grocery stores and restaurants and other businesses in areas of a town where people have their houses.

If zoning laws are removed people will be likely to have all the stores they need to go to right in their neighborhoods. This makes it so people don't need to travel far to get their needs and the result is that local communities are established. Zoning laws should be abolished whether or not cars are outlawed.

Various laws in society encourage "atomization". Atomization means separating the individual from a community/neighborhood fellowship. Zoning laws result in atomization by reducing inter-neighborhood socialization. Atomization can be done away with simply by altering certain laws.

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10288609 - 05/05/09 05:01 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

"I think a good strategy that could be employed in order to preserve and encourage the creation of local cultures is for people to outlaw the use of cars. If everyone had to use public transportation people would spend more time in their neighborhoods and they would congregate amongst the people of their neighborhoods."

You don't take the bus very often, do you? Fuck public transportation, how about eco-friendly vehicles instead?

"If cars were outlawed zoning laws would have to be removed too. Zoning laws make it so that people can not have grocery stores and restaurants and other businesses in areas of a town where people have their houses."

I agree that cities should be restructured, but not at the expense of our personal vehicles. :nonono:

"If zoning laws are removed people will be likely to have all the stores they need to go to right in their neighborhoods. This makes it so people don't need to travel far to get their needs and the result is that local communities are established. Zoning laws should be abolished whether or not cars are outlawed."

It could make people a lot lazier, too, but other than that, I don't see much of a problem. :shrug:

"Various laws in society encourage "atomization". Atomization means separating the individual from a community/neighborhood fellowship. Zoning laws result in atomization by reducing inter-neighborhood socialization. Atomization can be done away with simply by altering certain laws."

You make it sound like people are friendly and just ready to get along with everyone. :fairy:

Where I live, you could get shot for making eye contact with the wrong person. :sadyes:

In my situation, I would hate to be restricted to my neighborhood.  :foshizzle:

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order