Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Boomr Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
Agar Substrate?
    #1028783 - 11/06/02 03:48 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

what do you think about an agar substrate made from sterilizing vermiculite in water in jars and adding honey with agar? making like a solid jello mold and inoculate once it has cooled from being boiled and before it is turned to a solid mass. innoculate maybe inside the agar? or on the sides? im not sure if this would work due to the easy accesibility of agar as nutrients to bacteria. but maybe if this " jello cake" were to colonize it might have a higher yield to the cake process. im not sure if this would work, but if you have ever thought of this or can think of any flaws in it i would appreciate any comments. :laugh:

--------------------
What?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblezeta
Stranger

Re: Agar Substrate? [Re: Zero7a1]
    #1028950 - 11/06/02 04:37 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Mycelium can only grow on the surface of agar, you would end up with a cake colonised only on the outside. Plus agar & honey is an incredibly poor fruiting substrate.

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Re: Agar Substrate? [Re: zeta]
    #1029053 - 11/06/02 05:13 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

damn

--------------------
What?

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

#1029082 - 11/06/02 05:17 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

i just want an easy nurtritious substrate that can hold nutrients for a long time... it just seems the jars ive tried take forever i dont know what it is, ive come to think if i were to do the honey water tek and innoculate with that solution my jars would do better. and thinking of all these lapses ive had so far i might just go to a casing in a pot if i can ever get my jars to fully colonize. what is the best substrate mixture you have come across? if you could make the agar stick to the vermiculite and make like a sponge it would grow on the outside cause its not a solid jello piece like i mentioned before. i dont know just sketching out some ideas trying to get the best methods down... i hate wasting my time when i dont learn anything or get anything. thanks for your response, i hope i can get some more input from peoples own personal experiences. preferably when they first started. thanks.

--------------------
What?

Invisiblezeta
Stranger

#1030041 - 11/06/02 08:57 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

As I said.. agar and honey would be a very poor fruiting substrate. When you get mushrooms fruiting on agar you know you've got a valuable strain on your hands because it happens so rarely.
I've had success fruiting off cased rye grain. Also pasteurised poo.
If you want "an easy nurtritious substrate that can hold nutrients for a long time" then stay away from PF-Tek, it's easy but fails the other 2 criteria.
I recommend getting a pressure cooker and doing some rye grain, it should only take 10 days to colonise, is dirt cheap and produces big, potent mushies (compared to PF-Tek),

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

#1030292 - 11/06/02 09:57 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

thank you, once i get some dough i might just try that  :wink:

--------------------
What?

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

#1030419 - 11/06/02 10:28 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

could you reccomend a good tek for using rye grain? im assuming you have to case it,and not just let it grow from a cake but im not sure, i was thinking a sterilized terrocatta pot unless there is a better method with greater ease and efficency, and using that to case with ? do you have any suggestions? i mean ive read some of the teks but i dont know how well they work maybe you could give me some experienced advice. :smile:

--------------------
What?

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #1030457 - 11/06/02 10:35 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Re: Agar Substrate? [Re: Roadkill]
    #1030625 - 11/06/02 11:15 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

thanks for the links ive been looking around at so much different stuff its hard for me to take it all in and realize to look back where i started. could you use honeywater tek to innoculate these or is just scraping the spores into the jars the best method? or something else? i dont understand how it works after you colonize the rye jars? do you case with like a pot and have like vermiculite on the bottom with substrate on that and like coco coir on top of that? or use like scotts dung compost or something?

--------------------
What?

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #1030643 - 11/06/02 11:19 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

You better read some teks bro.

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Re: Agar Substrate? [Re: Roadkill]
    #1032873 - 11/07/02 02:18 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

aye, ja. alle ist klar. Danke

--------------------
What?

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

#1034099 - 11/07/02 10:08 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

i read in your grow log that you cooked the rice for only 30 minutes and didnt specify whether you PC'd it or not. i was wondering if i let it soak over night and just boiled it would it be fine? or did you just not put PC in your grow log? im not trying to criticize or anything i think you did a great job. i could only be so lucky to have something like that turn out for me. my problems now are obtaining a large quantity of rye. vermiculite... no problem same with perlite. i was thinking of making a mini terranium from a pickle bucket fairly big so i can put a pot inside of it. ive scrubed the terrocotta pot and bleached the pickle container, it still smells a little of pickle, but maybe when its time to grow the pickle juice smell will excite the muschies, it smells acidid.. i think bryne IS acidic but im not sure. and i was thinking of just casing the pot with either perlite - substrate - perlite for my pf jars and sticking this in a warm closet. i can use this bucket as both terranium and incubation chamber, unles my styrofoam cooler is big enough to hold the pot the styrofoam will conserve morer heat. i cut a hole in the lid of the bucket so like can pass into so naturally the babies no where the light is coming from. i know i will have to sterilize my pot in the oven, and rinse the bucket out again. maybe stick a hole where i could stick a blow dryer in and use it to circulate air when its time. but when ive finished casing the pot i plan to put plastic wrap to hold in moisture, keep out contaminants, after casing is colonized plan to lift wrap and fan or use blow dryer as i said before. well these are my ideas, if you can think of anything to add, i just kind of ranted, not REALLY making for a response, but it would be greatly appreciated  :laugh: . welll those are my plans so far, i just need my damn jars to colonize, and get some rye. but the rye is goign to take a while, i have no funds. o well alls well.  :smile:

--------------------
What?

Invisiblezeta
Stranger

#1034248 - 11/07/02 10:46 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

My log says the grain was simmered for 30 mins then loaded into jars and pressure cooked at 15psi for 70 minutes.

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

#1034687 - 11/08/02 12:34 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

yeah missing the wording makes a difference. i was reading and if you let it sit for 24 hours it would let all the bacteria come out, so soak, simmer, pc?

--------------------
What?

Invisiblezeta
Stranger

#1034863 - 11/08/02 01:45 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I just simmer and PC, haven't had contams in ages.

OfflineOn_the_Down-Low
Polyfil-ophile-Say it 3 timesfast.

#1046716 - 11/12/02 03:09 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

The 'dillo did actually find an old reference to growing mushies on DFA- dog food agar. Boil 1 cup df in 1L water. Strain mixture and stir in 15g. agar. Sterilize before use. Use in glass jars. Fruit it in the jars. Or you could prolly try a flat cake tek too.

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Re: Agar Substrate? [Re: On_the_Down-Low]
    #1047298 - 11/12/02 05:42 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

woah that flat cake sounds like a really good idea. thanks :smile: .

--------------------
What?

OfflineOn_the_Down-Low

#1047507 - 11/12/02 07:02 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Mold it like Jello and do it like a PF cake!! :shocked: That would look cool!!!
Someone posted about using lime Jello in place of agar- leave out the marshmallows. 

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Re: Agar Substrate? [Re: On_the_Down-Low]
    #1047804 - 11/12/02 08:51 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

i thought about gelatin but then i realized shit agar is just more nutritional than gelatin and its in the same family. well i think so... i dont know i think thats what i gathered you might want to research more. i looked on that dogfood tek but it said you had to put like foil and shit and then put vermiculite... i dont know why the hell you would put foil between vermiculite and the agar mold. why not put the agar in let it set then put sterilized vermiculite on top and then inject, once colonized birth and stick your mold on something. i dont know but i thought that would be cool too. shrooms growing from a gelatin. lol :smile:

--------------------
What?

OfflineOn_the_Down-Low

#1047855 - 11/12/02 09:08 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

It may be hard to get the agar 'cake' out of the jar.

New plan- Asian grocery stores carry agar for CHEAP. Add DF. Grow on DFA. Use jello molds.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Boomr Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates