Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinewutthe4k
Sativa Cyborg
Male

Loc: Third stone from the sun
Terrarium idea...approval?
    #10284055 - 05/04/09 02:27 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

i am going to buy a large tub and put a layer of perlite at the bottom (a few inches) to maintain humidity. 3 holes will be drilled on each the two longer sides and 2 holes on the shorter sides. some type of filter will be put over the holes (these will provide airflow.) finally, a 15 watt compact fluorescent bulb will be hooked inside which will be connected to a timer that is set on a 12/12 cycle.

suggestions for improvement are appreciated but i don't want to do anything complicated...such as using air pumps and whatnot.

thanks

--------------------
a glimpse of the divine...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleShroominit
Part Time Mycologist

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Terrarium idea...approval? [Re: wutthe4k]
    #10284102 - 05/04/09 02:35 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Suggestion for improvement is follow a tek. Either do a shotgun (drill tons of small holes in all 6 sides) or do a monotub which requires spawning to bulk (holes just like you described, no perlite).

The problem with yours is that the perlite will never evaporate water off because it gets little to no airflow and the filtered holes will impede airflow too much to get proper circulation unless you run a fan in the room or fan the FC every hour.

Offlinewutthe4k
Sativa Cyborg
Male

Re: Terrarium idea...approval? [Re: Shroominit]
    #10284187 - 05/04/09 02:51 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

i like the idea of the shotgun...i didn't notice it when i was looking at the teks. i have a few questions though:

when fanning it out...do i need to spray lysol in the air or something first? what about the contaminants in the air?

also, regarding airflow, is it alright to keep it in my closet?

also, what is the point of drilling holes on the bottom and whatnot...won't the perlite fall through the holes?

thanks for the help

--------------------

OfflineDudester67
eat a dick win a pony
    #10284221 - 05/04/09 02:59 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Shroominit said:
The problem with yours is that the perlite will never evaporate water off because it gets little to no airflow

That's actually not right.  Perlite will provide plenty of humidity even in a sealed, still air terrarium.

Wutthe4k, I assume you're building a standard FC for cakes or trays and not a monotub setup, which has different requirements.

If you're going to drill holes for circulation it's better to drill more holes (and smaller holes) all around the terrarium.  There's no need to put a filter over them.

And be mindful about putting your light inside the terrarium:  Some people do it, but even a fluorescent bulb can heat up the terrarium by 5-10 degrees.

Edited by Dudester67 (05/04/09 03:55 PM)

InvisibleShroominit
Part Time Mycologist

Folding@home Statistics
    #10284286 - 05/04/09 03:12 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Dudester67 said:
Quote:

Shroominit said:
The problem with yours is that the perlite will never evaporate water off because it gets little to no airflow

That's actually not right.  Perlite will provide plenty of humidity even in a sealed, still air terrarium.

Actually it is quite right. With no air movement perlite will barely get the RH up to 60%, we need 90% or more. I have done this test in my house. If you have differing data, please show it to me, I am interested to see it.

Also, that does not even take into account the fact that you will get all sorts of nasties growing without proper air exchange.

Quote:

wutthe4k said:
1.what about the contaminants in the air?
2.is it alright to keep it in my closet?
3.won't the perlite fall through the holes?
thanks for the help

1. Contams don't really matter to fully colonized cakes.
2. Yes it is OK to keep in a closet, especially a large one, but you will need air circulation of some sort and probably have to exchange the closet air at least once a day. Would be better if you could keep it opened or put a fan inside with it.
3. No, you will need coarse perlite (not Miracle Gro sized perlite) it should be about 1/4-1/2" pieces.

:peace:

OfflineDudester67
eat a dick win a pony
    #10284302 - 05/04/09 03:14 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

wutthe4k said:
when fanning it out...do i need to spray lysol in the air or something first? what about the contaminants in the air?

No.  At this stage in the growing process fresh air circulation is your best defense against contams.
Quote:

wutthe4k said:
also, regarding airflow, is it alright to keep it in my closet?

closets are ok, but not ideal
Quote:

wutthe4k said:
also, what is the point of drilling holes on the bottom and whatnot...won't the perlite fall through the holes?

do a search for RR explaining his shotgun tek.  In my experience, holes is all 6 sides aren't totally necessary.

InvisibleShroominit
Part Time Mycologist

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Terrarium idea...approval? [Re: Dudester67]
    #10284345 - 05/04/09 03:20 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Dudester67 said:
Quote:

wutthe4k said:

do a search for RR explaining his shotgun tek.  In my experience, holes is all 6 sides aren't totally necessary.

If you don't mind my asking,how long is your experience?

The idea that the shotgun is based on is regular air circulation + physics of water vapour. Air circulating through the container will flow in and upward through the perlite and out the top carrying vapour with it. Normal air currents will drag vapour upward and the tub walls help to keep it in. Air circulation is everything and if the bottom is blocked up you lose about 2/3 of your humidity creating area on the perlite.

OfflineDudester67
eat a dick win a pony
    #10284394 - 05/04/09 03:26 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Shroominit said:
Actually it is quite right. With no air movement perlite will barely get the RH up to 60%,

If you have several inches of damp perlite in your FC and your RH is only 60%, you either have a bad hygrometer or you've drilled way too many holes.  The evaporation of water off of perlite does not require air movement.  I promise.  I've been doing this on and off for over 10 years.

InvisibleShroominit
Part Time Mycologist

Folding@home Statistics
    #10284426 - 05/04/09 03:30 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Dudester67 said:
Quote:

Shroominit said:
Actually it is quite right. With no air movement perlite will barely get the RH up to 60%,

If you have several inches of damp perlite in your FC and your RH is only 60%, you either have a bad hygrometer or you've drilled way too many holes.  The evaporation of water off of perlite does not require air movement.  I promise.  I've been doing this on and off for over 10 years.

That is with no holes. It was an experiment. Water stopped evaporating off the perlite because there was no circulation.

OfflineDudester67
eat a dick win a pony
    #10284560 - 05/04/09 03:50 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Shroominit said:
That is with no holes. It was an experiment. Water stopped evaporating off the perlite because there was no circulation.

I suspect a bad hygrometer.  Or possibly the perlite wasn't damp enough.  Serveral inches of damp perlite should give you RH in the upper 90's for several months.  With regular mistings it will last even longer.  I urge you to try your experiment again.

Remember, the shotgun tek was only unveiled a few years ago.  If you read some old Nook or Mycotopia threads you'll see that sealed terrariums with perlite were in vogue for many years.  Some people still use them (which is not advisable) but they require more prudent and thorough manual fannings.  Anyway... I don't mean to argue with anyone.  I just wanna help!

OfflinePed
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
    #10284621 - 05/04/09 03:59 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

A simple way to add FAE to this kind of setup is to add an aquarium pump.  Put an ordinary aquarium stone on the end of the aquarium tubing, and sink that beneath the perlite layer.  Fresh, humidified air will bubble up in to your tupperwarium.  Punch a hole in the top of the tub and cover it with micropore tape for exhaust.  You can put a piece of micropore tape over the aquarium pump intake if you want to be extra safe, but I've never had a problem with cakes contaming.  You can use one of those long "bubble curtain" aquarium stones to help the FAE to move evenly throughout the terrarium.  All of this can be found at a pet store for under C$50, except for the micropore tape which you can find at any drug store.

As far as lighting goes, I'd keep the bulb external.  Running a wire in to a 100% rH environment with water-saturated perlite at the bottom seems unnecessarily risky.  When I used a tupperwarium, I cut a large rectangle out of the lid and covered it with plastic sheeting.  I sealed the edges with sheathing tape and suspended the fluoro bulb above the tub.

This was the exact setup I used with my first successful grows.  I ran 36 1/2 pint jars in there over the course of three cycles, and they produced excellent fruitbodies each time.

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

Offlinewutthe4k
Sativa Cyborg
Male

#10284638 - 05/04/09 04:01 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

okay i think i have a pretty good outlook on it now thanks guys =]

one last question...the 12/12 light cycle starts once the cakes are fully colonized, correct? and how do you know when pinning is complete and its time to fruit? don't the pins just keep getting bigger?

--------------------

OfflineDudester67
eat a dick win a pony
    #10284769 - 05/04/09 04:21 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

wutthe4k said:
how do you know when pinning is complete and its time to fruit? don't the pins just keep getting bigger?

The transition from pinning to fruiting doesn't require any action on your part.  You may be reading an old tek that recommends waiting for primordia to develop before you birth your jars.  This is not necessary. 

You should birth your jars at least one week after they look completely colonized on the outside.  (Some people birth sooner, but I have found that giving the substrate ample time to consolidate is extremely beneficial).  After birth, do a "dunk & roll" and move cakes to your fruiting environment.  This is when the light cycle and all other fruiting conditions are introduced.  Keep up your fanning & misting, and pins will come.
I would urge you to use the search function and read the archives, there's a ton of good info there.  GOOD LUCK.

Edited by Dudester67 (05/04/09 04:24 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck