Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinelaserpig
Weedmaster_P

If we're gonna repair society, we'd better start now.
    #10280194 - 05/03/09 07:51 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I'm addressing this to members of The Shroomery's Pub, but these are things I'd like to say to every open-minded person who has even a trace of an idea that society needs fixing.

We all know shit's fucked up. Everyone here has looked at a condo complex filled with people who hate their lives, who barely know themselves let alone those around them, and shaken their heads. Our society has people living in ways which are wholly unhealthy and unnatural.

We know why shit's fucked up, too -- or we have an idea at least. People don't question things, people try to live outside the moment, people fear getting close to others. I used to think in some of those ways, and many of you probably did too. In fact I doubt any of us are wholly free of them. There's a myriad of problems but they can all be solved, and we're living proof (which isn't to say we're perfect, but we've sure as hell taken steps in the right direction).

I think that the goal of repairing society, though it may seem the largest and most impossible goal one could have, is actually quite easy. Because all we have to do is get people to see reason. All we've got to do is teach people what is actually healthy for their bodies and their minds.

We oughta be drafting up plans. We oughta be figuring this out. First step, second step, intermediate goals, and so on. An internet forum doesn't seem like (and isn't) the place to stage a social upheaval from, but it's a great place to communicate ideas. And guess what? That's step one.

Step one is talking to each other and agreeing on the causes of underlying problems. We can do that here. So let's get the ball rolling, eh? Let's start throwing out ideas, anything that seems helpful, whether it be specific ideas or just potential structure for our thinking. I'll start:

- First off, we can't start at the bottom. By which I mean, our first targets can't be those which are the most indoctrinated. We need to skim off the top of society, opening the eyes of the intelligent and self-aware who just haven't had their push yet.
- We need to present this in a friendly way. A great example of this is John Lennon's "Imagine." Totally radical, and yet approachable. Scaring people off is counterproductive.

If this sounds insane to you, I understand why, but I ask you to consider something which I believe to be a trusim: there are only two possible causes for failure. One is the perception of defeat, and the other is complete extermination. You've never lost until you've said you have, and knowing that we're right protects us from giving in to that. And nobody is going to be trying to exterminate us, so we're clear there too. We just need to go about this the right way and always look to what we can do now.

Let's just start brainstorming. Worst case scenario is we prove we can't put our money where our mouths are and this fizzles. Even in that scenario, we've still made each other think about this just a little bit harder than before, and made our ideas just a little bit more solid and communicable.

--------------------
Weedmaster P knows the truth.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineWapakz
1000 Needles
 User Gallery

Re: If we're gonna repair society, we'd better start now. [Re: laserpig]
    #10280305 - 05/03/09 08:07 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Things are starting to get this way with Canada too. Once we kick the Conservatives out we can let the healing begin...

--------------------

Invisibledr_gonz

. [Re: Wapakz]
    #10280336 - 05/03/09 08:12 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Offlineg00ru
lit pants tit licker
Male User Gallery

Loc: georgia, us
    #10280357 - 05/03/09 08:14 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Be a microcosm of the type of society that you would like to see.  It's really all you can do.

--------------------
check out my music!
drowse in prison and your waking will be but loss

OfflineTypicalTripper
CannabisCuddling Canuck

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
Re: If we're gonna repair society, we'd better start now. [Re: Wapakz]
    #10280362 - 05/03/09 08:15 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

You think Ignatieff will change anything ? They're all the same , these career politicians.  It has to start from grassroots organizations and large-scale social movements.  Something that truly represents what people think when a democracy is running for agendas. 

Check out the World Social Forum. It's an international forum designed as a space for discussion on alternatives

"another world is possible"

there's a forum (OpenWSF, I think) that's currently open and invites all of then 130 000 participants to discuss their ideas and further develop subjects that were presented during conferences at the last Forum , in Brazil.

Good idea for a thread.  It's just hard to reach a consensus with as much diversity, internet drama and cynicism as the shroomery :crazy2:

Invisibleshowme
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: If we're gonna repair society, we'd better start now. [Re: dr_gonz]
    #10280376 - 05/03/09 08:16 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Right on. You've got a lot more hope than I do... at the moment.

I'd allow myself to get more absorbed into this but I've behind on a research paper.

Excuses, excuses

--------------------
Imagination is the organ of meaning.

InvisibleCognitive_Shift
CS actual
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: If we're gonna repair society, we'd better start now. [Re: showme]
    #10280390 - 05/03/09 08:19 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

"Lets print more money and create more debt."
- Our "leaders"

--------------------
L'enfer est plein de bonnes volontés et désirs

Invisibleadrug

#10280394 - 05/03/09 08:19 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quick, someone call the Society Repairman!

InvisiblePyroBurns
душа кофе

Re: If we're gonna repair society, we'd better start now. [Re: g00ru]
    #10280413 - 05/03/09 08:22 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

guruu said:
Be a microcosm of the type of society that you would like to see.  It's really all you can do.

:japsmile:

As much as I like to help people a lot of people actually don't want to be helped. We will never reach utopia but as long as you do your best to make a good impact and get other people to think you've done your job.

--------------------
Remember to cut your nails regularly.

OfflineTypicalTripper
CannabisCuddling Canuck

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
Re: If we're gonna repair society, we'd better start now. [Re: PyroBurns]
    #10280444 - 05/03/09 08:28 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah my opinion for a brighter future is restricted to small groups.  I don't have a universal plan.  I don't have an answer for every culture.  But I figure if I can build a sustainable community with like-minded individuals, and try to live out my solution, then I will have done my part.

Offlinelaserpig
Weedmaster_P

Re: If we're gonna repair society, we'd better start now. [Re: TypicalTripper]
    #10280608 - 05/03/09 08:57 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I think a bright future may be restricted to tight groups anyway. I mean, the only people you know are those you interact with, and it's impossible to interact with a whole nation. For this reason, I think the idea of a nation is fundamentally flawed.

I think one of the best ways to encourage change on a large scale is to embrace it on a small one. If enough people form their own peaceful societies and prove that the idea works, the rest of society will have to admit their ideas have worth.

--------------------

OfflineTangerines
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: woodwork Flag
    #10280621 - 05/03/09 08:59 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Well first off we should take the entire state of California off the map.  Then we can go from there.

Invisibleadrug

#10280622 - 05/03/09 08:59 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

laserpig said:
I think one of the best ways to encourage change on a large scale is to embrace it on a small one. If enough people form their own peaceful societies and prove that the idea works, the rest of society will have to admit their ideas have worth.

Not necessarily...never has the whole of society fallen in lock step on any matter I can think of.

Offlineunretarded
Tick and poisionoak collector
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cali
Re: If we're gonna repair society, we'd better start now. [Re: adrug]
    #10280733 - 05/03/09 09:19 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I will give you my take on it from a almost 40 year olds perspective.......you are still young and the world needs more people to think like this.

But,you will be lucky to hold your little chunk of the world together and it will take most of what you have to do so.Lifes alot harder than it seems ,even though I have had it easy,life just falls apart every now and then for no apparent reason.
You will do good to hold your own over a lifetime and not end up in a bad way.

I am taking what little I have and moving into the middle of nowhere to watch the sun come and go and the seasons change like they have since the beggining of time,I have talked till I am blue in the face ,tried to get people to change and saw that nobody will change untill they want to and as long as they have money/shelter and food ,there is no reason for them to change.

I applaud your efforts ,but you are just the latest generation ,in a long line of generations that wanted change and tried to make it happen.Its not the people ,people are good for the most part and you will see that as you get older...it`s the blueprint we function under that makes change hard,it`s the ways in which business is conducted and rewards are gained that make things they way they are,we do things for profit ,instead of the good of man and no matter how hard you want to change the result it gets blocked by the blueprint,the result of profit is always going to be the same,no matter how educated or what beliefs we have .
When things start to change will be when things are done for the good of mankind and with the effect it has on the planet in mind.....no change will come when profit is the goal.

--------------------
I love our leaders and the feds ,they are great people and the laws they make help us!:rofl2:

Offlinelaserpig
Weedmaster_P

Re: If we're gonna repair society, we'd better start now. [Re: unretarded]
    #10280821 - 05/03/09 09:35 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I'm quite sure that everyone at the age of 19 feels like me: that they're at the forefront of something big. And it's pretty clear that they're all almost entirely wrong. 

The goodness of people is what hope for change relies on. The problem, as you say, is the blueprint we're all taught to follow. Resisting it is damn hard and though I'd like to think I can somehow, that seems less than likely ... unless a critical mass of resistant people can be reached.

My hope is that more people can be taught that collaboration is profitable. Not in the sense of dollars and cents, but in terms of real happiness. People are good at accomplishing goals ... all we need for the world to work well is to have the right goals.

--------------------

Offlineunretarded
Male User Gallery

#10280968 - 05/03/09 10:01 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I agree 100 percent ,but they way it is set up now ,you spend most of your time following the system that is in place to meet your basic needs,8 to 10 hours a day and 5 to 6 days a week....it leaves little time for much else and it`s usually hard enuff that people just want to drink or relax when not providing for basic needs....that leads to the new car ,which requires more work and the new flat screen to help forget about all the unhappy time spent meeting your needs......it`s a hard to break cycle ,when people just want to relax or be left alone in thier free time.
I think alot of people feel the way you do ,but have very little left in them after work to change the blueprint we function under,because untill that blueprint is changed,thinking or feeling a certain way changes nothing in the blueprint,it only makes understand even more that it is wrong and that leads to depression and more drinking/new cars/luxury items to escape those feelings of being caught in a system that we dont like.

Most adults ,by the time they realize this are to deep in to the system to change,with families and debt and years of schooling invested,they feel the better option is to make the best of how it is,rather than start over.

Thats why I am basically getting out,getting enuff land to hunt, fish,grow food ,raise animals,run off of wind and solar power and reduce my exspenses to almost nothing.I consider myself lucky and will be able to enjoy what little life I have left in peace,far away from the rat race and confused people.
I have some plans to make some extra money in a way I am willing to live with,40 hours a week at some shit job ,making some shit item or providing some service to the wealthy is not something I can do anymore.I will not scarifice who I am and what I believe in anymore for some money to survive.
I think this is the best that can be done under the current blueprint we function.

I think alot of people are starting to feel the same way ,because of the lack of sales in new cars/exspensive luxury items and the increase in home seed sales,rural land is hot right now away from the city and off the grid living is becoming real popular even with the rich,which have the same ideas we have,but are usually trapped much farther inside of the system than we are.

--------------------
I love our leaders and the feds ,they are great people and the laws they make help us!:rofl2:

OfflineMuppet
Nomadic Jester
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: (523) 327-2836
Re: If we're gonna repair society, we'd better start now. [Re: unretarded]
    #10281104 - 05/03/09 10:28 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

unretarded said:
Life's alot harder than it seems...it just falls apart every now and then for no apparent reason.

ain't that the truth  :lol:

--------------------

:craven:  Ravings of a Madman  :craven:

Offlinereelbigfish2020
זּḩԑ ḋƦӚӐđ ᶆᾴἧ!

Loc: Athens, OH
Re: If we're gonna repair society, we'd better start now. [Re: Muppet]
    #10281212 - 05/03/09 10:53 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I think we spend too much time trying to get by, working most of our life to buy more stuff. I think we need to build machines to do all work possible and leave people to do whatever they wish. there should be no money, nothing should cost anything. everything is free, you just pick up stuff and use it as you need. nothing can get stolen, you couldn't be greedy. public transportation should be provided, super fast and efficient trains connecting major cities. like the ones built in japan, but only with todays technology. the question shouldn't be how much all this would cost, but if we have the resources to pull it off. this is pretty much the zeitgeist/venus project idea.
they have a really structured and well funded company. you should check out their site, i bet you would agree with a lot of their points.
http://www.thevenusproject.com/

Edited by reelbigfish2020 (05/03/09 10:54 PM)

OfflineChubba
Vape hungry

#10281268 - 05/03/09 11:03 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I subscribe to the school of thought that there needs to be an EXTREME drop in population before we reach any sort of utopian society.

Offlineunretarded
Male User Gallery

Re: If we're gonna repair society, we'd better start now. [Re: Chubba]
    #10281318 - 05/03/09 11:14 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

There is plenty of room and more than enuff to go around ,I live in cali for now and there is literaly hundreds of square miles 5 minutes from where I live that have no people or houses.
Not to mention utah or wyoming where there are thousands of square miles unpopulated,we all just want to live in the same places and it makes the world seem overpopulated,nevada is basically empty along with new mexico and south western texas,mid missouri is empty.

The more people we have ,the more the work gets distibuted,if it was not for profit,we would only have to work a few months a year to meet our needs.
Solar power requires very little work,wind power requires very little work and can charge electric cars from those with very little work ,polution or waste of finite resources.We just need to spread out a little more ,but work makes that not possible for most.

But I agree with you ,we can slow down the breeding anytime now ,there is no shortage of people.
Best way to make this happen is not to have kids.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder