Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSwyfty Swyf
Shrugsy Shrugs

Loc: North Alabama
Were mushrooms and marijuana staples of the early Christians' lives?
    #10261490 - 04/30/09 09:51 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Is it possible that the stories of Jesus' life were made up and used by people as a means to keep a covert tradition afloat consisting of ingesting mushrooms for spiritual guidance?

There are many examples of what might be considered as possibly being symbology of mushrooms, weed, and alcohol within the story of Jesus' life.

The virgin birth - Mushrooms have no gender and procreate without sex. Cannibus is kept seperate from male plants in order to produce more THC.

Feeding the 5,000 - Ibotenic acid can be passed from one user to the next through urine

Communion - Eating the flesh of the mushroom that gave its life so that the user can "enter the kingdom"

Ressurection - Amanita muscaria can revive the ill or those near death and invigorate those suffering from arthritis, making the effects seem miraculous when given to the lame.  It also causes deep sleeps, so one might be considered dead before later "coming back from the dead."

Causing the blind to see - Marijuana is unparalleled for relief from optical maladies.  Also, one might consider his sober mind to be blind, only to be given sight by a mushroom.

--------------------
If you build it they will shrug.
:shrug:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMushroomTrip
Dr. Teasy Thighs
Female User Gallery

Loc: red panda village
Re: Were mushrooms and marijuana staples of the early Christians' lives? [Re: Swyfty Swyf]
    #10261520 - 04/30/09 09:57 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

In a fairy-tale world, it is so easy to see connections everywhere.

:etjesus:

--------------------
:bunny::bunnyhug:
All this time I've loved you
And never known your face
All this time I've missed you
And searched this human race
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

:bunnyhug: :yinyang2:

InvisibleSwyfty Swyf
Shrugsy Shrugs

Re: Were mushrooms and marijuana staples of the early Christians' lives? [Re: MushroomTrip]
    #10261674 - 04/30/09 10:30 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I'm not talking about fairy tales.

I'm talking about actual history.

I'm seriously considering being the 18th person to ignore you.

--------------------

OfflineMushroomTrip
Dr. Teasy Thighs
Female User Gallery

Re: Were mushrooms and marijuana staples of the early Christians' lives? [Re: Swyfty Swyf]
    #10261699 - 04/30/09 10:35 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Swyfty Swyf said:
I'm not talking about fairy tales.

I'm talking about actual history.

Can you present that "actual history"?
No need to get so over-emotional, I am entitled to my own opinion, just like you. :nono:

Quote:

I'm seriously considering being the 18th person to ignore you.

Go on. :cool:

--------------------
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

InvisibleSwyfty Swyf
Shrugsy Shrugs

Re: Were mushrooms and marijuana staples of the early Christians' lives? [Re: MushroomTrip]
    #10261734 - 04/30/09 10:43 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Do you think Christianity just materialized out of thin air?

Christianity currently exists, therefore there were early Christians.

--------------------

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

#10261741 - 04/30/09 10:45 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Swyfty Swyf said:
Ressurection - Amanita muscaria can revive the ill or those near death and invigorate those suffering from arthritis, making the effects seem miraculous when given to the lame.

Source?

--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

InvisibleSwyfty Swyf
Shrugsy Shrugs

Re: Were mushrooms and marijuana staples of the early Christians' lives? [Re: deCypher]
    #10261754 - 04/30/09 10:47 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Why does there there need to be one?

The same could be said for meth.

Give some to someone in bed with the flu, and they may likely get out of bed.

--------------------

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

#10261771 - 04/30/09 10:50 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Swyfty Swyf said:
Why does there there need to be one?

The same could be said for meth.

Give some to someone in bed with the flu, and they may likely get out of bed.

That's completely different from helping to cure a medical condition or even specifically alleviate arthritis.

--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

InvisibleSwyfty Swyf
Shrugsy Shrugs

Re: Were mushrooms and marijuana staples of the early Christians' lives? [Re: deCypher]
    #10261782 - 04/30/09 10:53 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I didn't say anything was a cure, I was insinuating that maybe the "miracles" described in the Bible were actually caused from the short-term effects of mushrooms.

--------------------

OfflineMushroomTrip
Dr. Teasy Thighs
Female User Gallery

#10261890 - 04/30/09 11:17 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Swyfty Swyf said:

Depends on what you understand by "thin air".
If by it you mean the lack of existence of a messiah, then yes, this is probably the case.

Quote:

So?
How does this mean in any way what you're trying to imply with the mushrooms and all that?

--------------------
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

OfflineMushroomTrip
Dr. Teasy Thighs
Female User Gallery

#10261893 - 04/30/09 11:17 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Swyfty Swyf said:
I didn't say anything was a cure, I was insinuating that maybe the "miracles" described in the Bible were actually caused from the short-term effects of mushrooms.

Again... source?

--------------------
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

InvisibleSwyfty Swyf
Shrugsy Shrugs

#10262053 - 04/30/09 11:46 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

MushroomTrip said:
Quote:

Swyfty Swyf said:

Depends on what you understand by "thin air".
If by it you mean the lack of existence of a messiah, then yes, this is probably the case.

Please do not assume that I mean anything, unless I say it.

Regardless of whether or not Christ was the messiah, Christianity has been practiced for around 2,000 years.

Quote:

Quote:

Mushroom Trip said:So?
How does this mean in any way what you're trying to imply with the mushrooms and all that?

I am interested in hearing people's knowledge on early Christian history, in an effort to ponder whether or not some of the "miracles" or customs alluded to within the Bible were recorded to act as a code for their actual intentions for them to be interpreted as symbolism for use of marijuana and Amanita muscaria.

Edited by Swyfty Swyf (04/30/09 12:02 PM)

InvisibleSwyfty Swyf
Shrugsy Shrugs

#10262077 - 04/30/09 11:50 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

MushroomTrip said:
Quote:

Swyfty Swyf said:

Again... source?

Do you understand that the title of this thread is a question?

I am not trying to prove anything, as the answers are likely lost within the past.

That does not mean that we cannot discuss what may have been a possibility, in an effort to understand the symbolism of authors dead and gone.

--------------------

Offlinelaserpig
Weedmaster_P

#10262078 - 04/30/09 11:50 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Uh, nah dude. I don't think so. As far as I know, shrooms are believed to have been completely unknown outside of South America in the first century AD. Cannabis is a little more likely since it's been used in the Middle East for quite some time, but I'm not sure it goes that far back and I strongly suspect that even if it did it was very, very uncommon.

--------------------
Weedmaster P knows the truth.

InvisibleSwyfty Swyf
Shrugsy Shrugs

Re: Were mushrooms and marijuana staples of the early Christians' lives? [Re: laserpig]
    #10262096 - 04/30/09 11:53 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

What about Amanita muscaria?

--------------------

Invisibledaytripper23
?
Male

Loc: Flag
    #10262174 - 04/30/09 12:06 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

An appeal to historical authority can only go so far as to who has written the history.

Anybody here who has been to a few catholic masses, "eat this bread and drink this wine" should immediately know what is up. That is an intuition though:

Documented history is simply more generalized than describing these specific rituals. The early Roman Catholics destruction of pagan temples and art, as well as both "friendly" (as the op is alluding to) and forced indoctrination of those people's traditions is well documented. The most solid proof you will be able to find is how Christian Holidays are conveniently stacked upon previous pagan holidays. But any more than that, especially concerning for the ritual itself; just like any truly psychedelic concern, whatever you think is going to have to be based partly on intuition.

Think about it, you had to figure it out this way in your own day, when the whole world is right in front of you to touch. It is hard enough to find reliable information even in this present moment. There is an entire body of convincing lies today (in that respect, we are the minority), let alone what has built up after 2000 years.

Rituals, such as incense burning, meditations, drug-lingo, its all at least partly geared towards a certain discretion. (drug lingo to avoid being arrested, incense to cover up smoke...etc) Even if you are not religious about it, you look to hide the fact in many ways. Psychedelics are taboo, even as they were for "sanctioned" shamans, all the way to there current role.

The question here is to what lies in between.

Well what is it? This is unclear because it is an aspect of our being that is not typically recorded in history.

It is along these same lines of unrecorded information, that we generally consider ourselves so enlightened in the present moment. This is why we are apparently justified in our conflicts and wars, our fashions are "cool" and not "fads", basically, all of that which our historical perspectives tend to emphasize as almost entirely petty.

Of course drawing these 2 points is not enough, it is what lies in between. What actually lies in between is not my point, though. Connecting these points is secondary to the basic circumstances that I am trying to emphasize.

It is within that realm of what we overlook in recording history, a record of what is profane/profound, taboo and sacred.

These rituals even disintegrate in formalized and approved traditions. For those who are cynical of the church outside of a knee-jerk reaction to dogma, perhaps you might wonder why they participate in an empty ritual.

What I am saying, is if you limit your perspective to seeing a tradition that is both entirely and simply meaningless, and always has been, you will inevitably miss the more complex subtleties of how specific corruptions came into being, such as these empty rituals.

Note that I am not saying that such a perspective is unreasonable, because I think it is entirely reasonable to avoid  traditions. For instance, I have not interested myself in Islam, even though I would really like to know what is going on in the middle east. Maybe I will one day, but what I am saying, is that my current perspective that is entirely outside of this would not have the expertise to investigate certain rituals or complexities of the situation.

But maybe even this sort of philosopher might wonder how such blinding dogma came into being? Do you ever wonder how people can be "just be so stupid"? I do not consider myself stupid for not entirely formulating an atheism by age twelve (a time where one is becoming very cynical of fairy tales). I was forced to go to church for the first 17 years of my life, so I had five or so years to just sit there and wonder at this.

People are not just "stupid", what happened was a gradual process.

So what I am saying, is that there probably wouldn't be any proof to many such claims, whether they are true or not.

To this one in specific, like any concern with psychedelics; do you really think there is going to be such an appeal to authority? We can't even find an authority in our present moment, let alone within history.

--------------------
Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
  The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
  The frumious Bandersnatch!

OfflineMushroomTrip
Dr. Teasy Thighs
Female User Gallery

#10262198 - 04/30/09 12:11 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Swyfty Swyf said:
Do you understand that the title of this thread is a question?

Of course: "Were mushrooms and marijuana staples of the early Christians' lives?"
Do I win a prize? :laugh:

Quote:

I am not trying to prove anything, as the answers are likely lost within the past.

You're asking a question. In what are you basing your assumptions? Surely it must be something, otherwise why ask such a question?

Quote:

That does not mean that we cannot discuss what may have been a possibility, in an effort to understand the symbolism of authors dead and gone.

Of course we can discuss anything as a possibility.
In order to check the approximate measure in which this could be so, we'll have to check the probabilities.
What makes you think that this is indeed what's behind those symbols?

--------------------
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

InvisibleSwyfty Swyf
Shrugsy Shrugs

#10262263 - 04/30/09 12:28 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I have not made any assumptions.

You are the one who assumed things.

You were all ginned up to get into an argument, so you did not comprehend my original post.

I gave some examples of "what might be considered as possibly being symbology of mushrooms, weed, and alcohol within the story of Jesus' life."

I can't help but wonder if the authors of the Bible had hidden meanings behind their messages.

I am curious to hear people's thoughts.

--------------------

OfflineMushroomTrip
Dr. Teasy Thighs
Female User Gallery

#10262338 - 04/30/09 12:43 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I am asking again: what makes you think that the authors of the bible meant to use mushrooms, marijuana, and amanita as symbols? Nothing?

Of course I'm assuming, I'm getting no coherent answer from you.

--------------------
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

InvisibleSwyfty Swyf
Shrugsy Shrugs

#10262395 - 04/30/09 12:51 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

MushroomTrip said:
I am asking again: what makes you think that the authors of the bible meant to use mushrooms, marijuana, and amanita as symbols? Nothing?

Of course I'm assuming, I'm getting no coherent answer from you.

I don't think that said symbols were used for said substances, I wonder if it could have been the case, as I have said now for the third time.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order