Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineantiphixion
Imaginary

Loc: I exist only in your head...
Terrarium Suggestions for Casing Tek (BRF Cakes)
    #10261319 - 04/30/09 09:01 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I've got 7 BRF cakes (5 half pint, 2 full pint) that are just about colonized and I'm thinking about trying out a casing tek this time around.  I haven't grabbed a hygrometer yet so I don't know how consistent the humidity in my terrarium is.  It was fine to fruit BRF cakes but from what I've read casing requires more precise control over humidity.  Will my shotgun terrarium likely be enough or should I get/make a new one?  How much should I be looking to spend on a decent hygrometer?  Also, what kind of yield would I be looking at?  Thanks for any replies.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePreparationH
apply daily

Loc: Amsterdam
Re: Terrarium Suggestions for Casing Tek (BRF Cakes) [Re: antiphixion]
    #10261358 - 04/30/09 09:12 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

just use a shotgun terrarium unless you're serious and will keep producing then buy a greenhouse.  I went from the bottom up and bought things in this hobby I never use anymore.  If i could have I wish I started with greenhouses and using rye to spawn to bulk which i know if you were competent enough to grow mushrooms from the pf tek you were competent enough to start bulk.

Invisiblenw_shroomy
NoN-stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Terrarium Suggestions for Casing Tek (BRF Cakes) [Re: PreparationH]
    #10261382 - 04/30/09 09:19 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

PreparationH said:
just use a shotgun terrarium unless you're serious and will keep producing then buy a greenhouse.  I went from the bottom up and bought things in this hobby I never use anymore.  If i could have I wish I started with greenhouses and using rye to spawn to bulk which i know if you were competent enough to grow mushrooms from the pf tek you were competent enough to start bulk.

:headbang:

--------------------
Spawn Ratio Calculator
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/7803673#7803673
I only grow edibles.Any info I give ONLY applies to gourmet mushrooms.

OfflinePreparationH
apply daily

Loc: Amsterdam
    #10261383 - 04/30/09 09:19 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

and yes just make sure your perlite stays damps and if you still feel uncomfortable about the humidity try wax paper method where you crumple the wax paper and lay it over a casing to hold humidity(if you do this you will be golden because the casing is already a micro climate)  think about this,  people have grown mushrooms without humidifier or anything just by preparing their casing correctly and leaving it go.  if you put some effort into it(which you will) yours will turn out better(which is great)

Every hygrometer I ever used is crap no matter what,  I just gave up and started playing with timers on my vicks v400 in my greenhouse to the point where w/e the humidity is I dont give a shit because the mushrooms grow perfectly.

Invisiblenw_shroomy
NoN-stranger
 User Gallery

#10261388 - 04/30/09 09:20 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

PreparationH said:
and yes just make sure your perlite stays damps and if you still feel uncomfortable about the humidity try wax paper method where you crumple the wax paper and lay it over a casing to hold humidity(if you do this you will be golden because the casing is already a micro climate)  think about this,  people have grown mushrooms without humidifier or anything just by preparing their casing correctly and leaving it go.  if you put some effort into it(which you will) yours will turn out better(which is great)

Every hygrometer I ever used is crap no matter what,  I just gave up and started playing with timers on my vicks v400 in my greenhouse to the point where w/e the humidity is I dont give a shit because the mushrooms grow perfectly.

Quote:

PreparationH said:

:headbang:

--------------------
Spawn Ratio Calculator
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/7803673#7803673
I only grow edibles.Any info I give ONLY applies to gourmet mushrooms.

Offlineantiphixion
Imaginary

Loc: I exist only in your head...
Re: Terrarium Suggestions for Casing Tek (BRF Cakes) [Re: nw_shroomy]
    #10263148 - 04/30/09 02:50 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks alot, I've got a few more questions if you could be bothered, haha.

If I use the wax paper idea do I still need to raise the humidity for pinning then drop it for the mushrooms to grow well?

Are you talking about a big green house or are there smaller ones you can just put in the corner of a room?

Could you suggest a bulk substrate while I use BRF cakes as spawn?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags