Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDelysid.25
Stranger
Shifting geometric "pattern"
    #10250827 - 04/28/09 05:10 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Every single trip I've had, either with LSD or mushrooms, I noticed this complicated interwoven pattern that seemed to fit into anything I'd look at. It didn't matter it I was looking at the grass or the sky, or even that bumpy stuff on the ceiling, the pattern was there, slowly shifting. What is weird is that a lot of my friends see the same thing. It looks similar to this.

My question is, why do people see this? Is there a designer? Does it have to do with out brain chemistry/structure? Thanks.
Dom.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHarri

Re: Shifting geometric "pattern" [Re: Delysid.25]
    #10251116 - 04/28/09 06:03 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Not sure i was gonna ask the same thing

Offlinenocoast
Trichome Technician

Re: Shifting geometric "pattern" [Re: Harri]
    #10251207 - 04/28/09 06:16 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I think the complex, symmetrical, woven patterns seen on hallucinogens are just visual metaphors of one kind or another...trying to tell you something.

Offlinebongoboy2000
Bongoboy2000
Male
Loc: Seattle
Re: Shifting geometric "pattern" [Re: nocoast]
    #10251350 - 04/28/09 06:37 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

The fact that people of all cultures have been seeing these fractal, geometric patterns for thousands of years is pretty fascinating in my opinion...
I believe that it's some kind of window into our higher order.
At the most basic level of everything that exists, there is a perfect, simple system. simple shapes, simple lines...but as awareness expands, and your perspective gets larger, simple things become vastly more complicated. ie, us. It is a metaphor...in a way... but not like a literary metaphor. More like a 'answer to the meaning of life' metaphor.
I dunno..I don't have a very well defined theory on it yet... but I do believe it's much more meaningful than just "trickin' yer brain with drugs"

--------------------
...I got nothin..

InvisibleEllisDSox
King Hella!

#10251415 - 04/28/09 06:51 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Perhaps it's a visual representation of interconnectivity. Your mind perceives the universe as an interwoven unity, and your eyes see the fabric of existence.

Or, maybe it's just the nature of the human mind to function in terms of patterns and therefore this capacity becomes evident in a heightened state of mind.

Either way, I think this is something which automatically leads us towards the experience of oneness with the universe, as everything is literally seen as part of a single pattern.

--------------------
Disclaimer: If you have any kind of heart condition, my posts are not for you. You could literally die from reading the first couple of words in any one of them. Scroll down the page, live your life and prosper, but don't read my posts because your heart will probably explode. I am not joking.

InvisiblezSDMF
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: lost in nothing Flag
    #10251484 - 04/28/09 07:03 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

my LSD visuals aren't like that.  mushroom "visions," are much more similar IME.  2c-b however, everywhere I look when I fry pretty hard (~25-30mg HBr nasally) i can see those geometric patterns weaving and reforming constantly.

InvisibleMr Cyan
Re: Shifting geometric "pattern" [Re: zSDMF]
    #10252025 - 04/28/09 08:24 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

The chemicals being introduced to your brain heighten your brains system of tracking patterns, therefore your brain is able to recognize patterns not recognizable to the "naked brain" if you get what I am saying.

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Ascension Energy & Alien UFOs
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Inexpressible... Flag
Re: Shifting geometric [Re: Delysid.25]
    #10252087 - 04/28/09 08:31 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

You Said: "My question is, why do people see this?"

What an interesting question to a relatively-common experience. I've definitely experienced these fluid gemetric shapes and designs, but mostly during Closed Eye Visuals.

After remembering some of the knowledge I've learned from taking Psychology classes with a very hot 30-year old black-haired teacher named A-Drain-ya (the phonetic spelling, I don't know how to spell her real name), I can partially answer your question.

During the "Sensory and Perception" section, we learned about how the mind creates "patterns" from the mental stimuli of raw sensory data. For example, here's a sentence where the first in last letters are left in tact but the other letter within the middle of the word are all mixed up and you will understand exactly what I'm saying:

Lgciaol Cohas detaelpsery wntas to fcenrh ksis his atctatirve oedlr cisuon wlhie fegiinnrg her sprlpiey vngaia smoe tmie drunig tihs umnpiocg smemur.

Did you understand what I was saying? I would bet you did. That's because human brains are wired to notice patterns within chaos. This is also one of the reasons for the name I chose at the Shroomery.

Another example is facial-recognition: You may have experienced faces in floating fluffy clouds or in the random assortment of "bumps" on Stucco celiens (which *really* pop-out when I'm tripping), rain drops on a window, or ink blots Psychiatrists show you during therapy sessions, all while your completely sober. This happens because the human brain wants to "fill-in" or "make order" out of randomness chaos.

Facial recognition with real people not only is an amazing pattern-recognizing feature of the human brain, it also help humans evolve as a species. People need to recognizes other people's faces in order to determined who they are and what there intentions are, and the brain does this by looking for specific spacial patterns in the face, like the shape of a person's chin and its proportion to the person's nose.

Back to Psychology...
When it comes to mental disorders like Schizophrenia, even those people make "order" out of their randomly-occurring sensory hallucinations. One exception is a very bizarre and surprising funny mental disorder to watch called Disorganized Schizophrenia.

Basically, a person who suffers from Disorganized Schizophrenia, like its name implies, experiences "disorganized thoughts" to the point where they cannot communicate effectively to other people. Don't believe me? Look it a video on the Web, you will laughing your ass off as a person desperately tries to speak, only to speak complete word-salad gibberish! Watch it sober or tripping, you won't be disappointed! (I recommend watch it tripping)! I know, its cruel, but I believe its one of God's strange gifts to the world.

Lastly....

In my Psychology class, we also learned about Developmental Psychology, which is the study of how people learn when they are maturing babies. Many studies found that babies can recognize patterns even before they can talk (ex: the babies point to the object instead of saying something). Also, the fact that most people in the U.S. go to kindergarten school when they are young, and play with building blocks/lego's/peg-and-hole type toys, the concept of geometric shapes becomes "hard-wired" into our brains at a very early age. What would be interesting to find out is to ask a indigenous, native culture who has *never* seen a man-made geometric object in their life, like the Zambuki tribe of Ghana Africa, and give them a strong psychedelic. After/during their trip, ask them if they see any geometric patterns. 

On a similar concept combining geometric shape recognition and facial-recognition, the Greeks who made "created" the constellations we know today (Orion, Pegasus, The Big Dipper, etc.) did this because they saw shapes and "people" in the stars when they looked up at the night sky. These objects were actually created in the mind by the brain "completing" the incomplete object by "filling in the missing pieces" in the empty spaces between the stars.

Just some examples of how humans see geometric shapes.

Remember, humans see geometric shapes in sober baseline reality as well, but psychedelics "amplifies" those subconscious thoughts and makes them visual for us, just like emotions and colors are "amplified" by these substances. Its our brains way of making "order" out of the Logical Chaos that is the Psychedelic Hallucination.

Enjoy the Ride,
~ LogicaL Chaos ~

Edited by LogicaL Chaos (04/29/09 12:39 AM)

InvisibleCognitive_Shift
CS actual
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10252229 - 04/28/09 08:49 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Scientists are deducing the internal circuitry of the visual brain by mathematically reproducing the geometric hallucinations people see when they ingest mind-altering drugs, view bright, flickering lights or encounter near-death experiences.

Here is the link for the whole article.
http://physical-sciences.uchicago.edu/research/2002/articles/brain.html

--------------------
L'enfer est plein de bonnes volontés et désirs

Offlinemockingbird
It Goes Round And Round

Loc: 0high0 Flag
Re: Shifting geometric "pattern" [Re: Cognitive_Shift]
    #10253196 - 04/28/09 11:18 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

they happen they're there

--------------------

Offlinecrkhd
☾☼☽

Loc: A human sphere enfolding ...
Re: Shifting geometric "pattern" [Re: mockingbird]
    #10254345 - 04/29/09 06:38 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

It's probably the drug fucking about nicely with your visual cortex. How to explain DMT visuals though, LOL.

--------------------

"Everything there is, and all that there is, is a Pattern of unspeakable proportion. The Pattern contains everything that is, completely fixed in succession, all the minimal particles interconnected in every way that is. Every way that is is not every conceivable way, because not everything that can be conceived is manifest in the pattern."

"THE Human, you, is a miniscule but essential part of that pattern. In it lies complete fulfillment. It will never become something it is not, but it will never need to be anything else." - Wiccan_Seeker

"If boring drudgery was the way of the universe, everything would have killed itself long ago." - Spacerific

Invisibletruekimbo2
Cya later, friends.
Male User Gallery

Loc: ny Flag
Re: Shifting geometric "pattern" [Re: crkhd]
    #10254560 - 04/29/09 08:24 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

i've always figured i was watching the flow of my thoughts visually.  there was a huge thread on this a long time ago.

I only get those patterns open eye.  my CEVs are fucking insane.  i want to know where that shit comes from.

--------------------
You can check the last post in my journal for contact info.

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Shifting geometric "pattern" [Re: Cognitive_Shift]
    #10254577 - 04/29/09 08:34 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I get it
sort of like the henna patterns that you see on asian women's arms and hands
I think it is part of the holographic interference which is intensified during psychedelic due to persistence of fading signals.

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

OfflineTheMerryGangster
Be Good Family
Male

Loc: Here
Re: Shifting geometric "pattern" [Re: truekimbo2]
    #10255565 - 04/29/09 12:17 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

truekimbo2 said:
i've always figured i was watching the flow of my thoughts visually.  there was a huge thread on this a long time ago.

I only get those patterns open eye.  my CEVs are fucking insane.  i want to know where that shit comes from.

What is that New World Order shit about? It's freaky as fuck.

--------------------
Lysergic exploration.
Fungus-induced enlightenment.
Herbal healing.

"When you realize how perfect everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky." -Buddha.

:aum: Peace :peace:, Love :heart:, and Light :psychsplit: :aum:

*EVERYTHING I SAY ON THIS SITE IS PURELY FICTION*

OfflineNunbuh_Chrubble
I'm just a kittycat
Male User Gallery

Re: Shifting geometric "pattern" [Re: TheMerryGangster]
    #10256080 - 04/29/09 01:48 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

After I had smoked DMT for my first time I began trying to look up artists representations of DMT visuals. I was amazed to see the EXACT same patterns in the weaving of the Shipibo people in Peru who use ayahuasca!

My friends were amazed that it was exactly what they had seen also. There is a startling amount of corroboration with regard to DMT experiences, not just of the themes, but also the exact visuals themselves.

Come to find out, the Shipibo can sing these geometric patterns to each other! They developed a musical language that allow them to describe these patterns to one another. Unfortunately it's a dying language and it is being lost.

Truly a fascinating topic!

--------------------

"This day is a lover..."

~Rumi

InvisibleTroll Bot
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Shifting geometric "pattern" *DELETED* [Re: Nunbuh_Chrubble]
    #10256220 - 04/29/09 02:11 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Post deleted by Buckthorn

Reason for deletion: T

Invisibletruekimbo2
Cya later, friends.
Male User Gallery

Loc: ny Flag
Re: Shifting geometric "pattern" [Re: Troll Bot]
    #10258612 - 04/29/09 08:50 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

dmt visuals are way more complicated than that for me at least.

the tapestries are very beautiful though.  there is a shroomerite who sells those tapestries, he bought them when he visited those people.

pm me for info.

--------------------
You can check the last post in my journal for contact info.

OfflineMykologist
Often too lazy to post...
Male

Loc: I'm still here...
    #10258742 - 04/29/09 09:13 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

When I do shrooms, I can see these patterns moving through ceilings, grass, rough and contoured surfaces, etc.
  My CEV visuals are basically fractals with mandelbrot-like patterns.
With Salvia, I felt as though the entire world was painted over with endless fractals and elliptical apparitions.
  I read an article talking about how the brain is a homogeneous selective conductor; meaning how electrical impulses are guided in ever-changing paths throughout our brain. We don't truley understand how impulses are kept in selective paths. Imagine being able to control the path where electricity flows through a cube of metal. Our brains do it!
  Anyway, something about the chaotic pattern of our brain resembles almost exact chaotic patterns in mandelbrot and julia sets.
      But yeah, hallucinogens apparently confuse our brain's perception of senses, so our thoughts and inner-brain activity is layered all over our spectrum of understanding.
  I'm pretty stoned, :gethigh: don't know if the article actually said that or if those are my thoughts leaking their way onto the page. But a theory nonetheless...
Myk

--------------------

Where would you rather be?

InvisiblezSDMF
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: lost in nothing Flag
    #10258759 - 04/29/09 09:16 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

my DMT visuals, in 'regular,' earthly doses are extremely wild and vary every time.  there is nothing typical about them.  sometimes I will see a tree for every branch, piece of bark, and every intricate pattern nature has to offer for it.  sometimes, i see one huge brown thing sticking out of the ground with 3 or 4 huge green blobs.

breakthrough though, every single time no matter what.  it's the tetris effect, except not vertically.  very quickly my visual field gets overtaken by bright green, a shade only DMT has shown me, triangles.  they rapidly overtake every texture in my field.  i can literally watch say my computer screen turn to green triangle as the other half seems as normal as it could right before you are shot into hyperspace.

then I black out.  every time.

for some reason at this point in my life DMT and me do not get along too well

OfflineTheMerryGangster
Be Good Family
Male

Loc: Here
Re: Shifting geometric "pattern" [Re: Nunbuh_Chrubble]
    #10264120 - 04/30/09 05:37 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Nunbuh_Chrubble said:
After I had smoked DMT for my first time I began trying to look up artists representations of DMT visuals. I was amazed to see the EXACT same patterns in the weaving of the Shipibo people in Peru who use ayahuasca!

My friends were amazed that it was exactly what they had seen also. There is a startling amount of corroboration with regard to DMT experiences, not just of the themes, but also the exact visuals themselves.

Come to find out, the Shipibo can sing these geometric patterns to each other! They developed a musical language that allow them to describe these patterns to one another. Unfortunately it's a dying language and it is being lost.

Truly a fascinating topic!

Yeah those give somewhat of an idea of what I see on DMT except its way more intricate. Mostly I can relate to the fact that its a tessellation of patterns.

--------------------
Lysergic exploration.
Fungus-induced enlightenment.
Herbal healing.

"When you realize how perfect everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky." -Buddha.

:aum: Peace :peace:, Love :heart:, and Light :psychsplit: :aum:

*EVERYTHING I SAY ON THIS SITE IS PURELY FICTION*

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract