Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedeformedreality
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Is it really all that necessary to start out with PF cakes?
    #10246521 - 04/27/09 11:01 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I'm an ex grower and have recently been looking over the forum and was just curious on peoples thoughts on if its really necessary for beginners to bother learning how to do pf cakes. Personally its completely different than monotub grows so you still have to learn everything one way or another. For the ammount of material and time that you put into pf cakes you really don't get all that much out of it compared to the mountains of mushrooms you get from monotubs. I started out with pf cakes and once I went mono I never looked back.
What should noobs learn first?
You may choose only one

Votes accepted from (04/27/09 11:01 PM) to (No end specified)
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: Is it really all that necessary to start out with PF cakes? [Re: deformedreality]
    #10246547 - 04/27/09 11:03 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I started with WBS. Cased it straight, then spawned to coir+coffee. Didn't try cakes until much later, they always seemed really complicated and fussy.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

OfflineKlepticon
Stranger

Re: Is it really all that necessary to start out with PF cakes? [Re: Doc_T]
    #10246572 - 04/27/09 11:06 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I started with just rye spawns cased with 50/50.  Had pretty decent success (for not following teks completely, doh!)
Now I'm much wiser and experienced (after oh 4 months or so) and i stick with monotubs

Offlinedeformedreality
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Is it really all that necessary to start out with PF cakes? [Re: Doc_T]
    #10246588 - 04/27/09 11:07 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

When i did cakes it seemed like i only got a couple decent harvests of about 2-4 grams dry per cake and then would get some horrid spiderweb mold. With monotubs ive gotten up to 12 harvests off a tub with about 2 oz dry per each harvest and they all were pretty damn potent all the way till the end when it just stopped producing and started to mold. and in the end the monotub was way easy to make and maintain.

--------------------

Offlineshurte
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Is it really all that necessary to start out with PF cakes? [Re: deformedreality]
    #10246646 - 04/27/09 11:16 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

It has nothing to do with material. It's all about finding your balance.

I couldnt find brf/verm so I tried popcorn, wbs, cracked corn. I found the teks for everything except cc was far far too wet. cc was boil for 15min and pc.

It turned out that was the correct moisure I needed. Makes perfect fast cakes. Tried shotgun. Yet again moisure problems. Mono bucket with coir/cc is best for me.

OfflineAlienTechKilla
iStalk

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Is it really all that necessary to start out with PF cakes? [Re: shurte]
    #10247526 - 04/28/09 03:51 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Did three cake grows and just recently started my first mono. I think the mono was easy enough to set up. No fanning, misting, bothering the grow every few hours. The sterilizing tek was similar for the spawn, the only extra step is pastering substrate, which is easy enough if you can knock up jars with no contams. I found that a shotgun FC is actually harder to set up then Ohmatics mono for me. I wish I stated with monos.

ATK

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: Is it really all that necessary to start out with PF cakes? [Re: AlienTechKilla]
    #10247606 - 04/28/09 04:42 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

You seem to be forgetting the biggest deciding factor and thats unless you have a pressure cooker or are willing to spend some money on one. Then pf is all you can do until you get one.

You dont need to start at the PF tek, but its recomended. its meant as a learning tool, it shows you the very basics with a minimal investment and you get some mushrooms out of it too.

Ive suggested to people on various occasions that if there feeling confident, skip the PF tek and do grains.

Also, monotubs can be started with pf cakes. You can use cakes as spawn.

2-4 dry grams per cake could be the result of bad ginetics, or poor fruiting conditions.

I have no idea how you could have problems with moisture in a shotgun fruiting chamber, unless oh you improvised like so many always do, by either not drilling the holes the right size, missing out alot, or the most commen, not driling the bottom holes.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Offlinekingjames488
Stranger
Re: Is it really all that necessary to start out with PF cakes? [Re: veda_sticks]
    #10247760 - 04/28/09 06:00 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

well i STILL think people should do cakes for a first grow.
a LOT less to go wrong.
also theres less chance of contams and if something does contam, its usually only a couple jars, not a whole monotub.

i got about an ounce from like 7 cakes and one i cased...
only thing i didnt really like was the fruits were smallish :S

and you can always spawn cakes to some bulk sub. so you can start making caked and if you change your mind you can make a monotub or w.e from them .

OfflineDeadDog
MingeTeasingBastard
Male User Gallery

Loc: La Chorrerra
Re: Is it really all that necessary to start out with PF cakes? [Re: kingjames488]
    #10247795 - 04/28/09 06:16 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

doing cakes is a good way to quickly find some good genetics to clone, or build up a reserve of spore prints.

IMO the pf-tek is almost fool proof, and cakes still have their uses even once u move onto bigger projects.

--------------------
"You are the human equivalent of Bacterial Vaginosis, die now, thanks."

Offlinekingjames488
Stranger
Re: Is it really all that necessary to start out with PF cakes? [Re: DeadDog]
    #10248343 - 04/28/09 09:40 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

DeadDog said:
IMO the pf-tek is almost fool proof, and cakes still have their uses even once u move onto bigger projects.

yup, PF has VERY good chances against contams.
my first grow, 8/8 jars... 0% contamination rate following the tek.

OfflineChrisWho
Psilosopher

Re: Is it really all that necessary to start out with PF cakes? [Re: kingjames488]
    #10248360 - 04/28/09 09:45 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I started by casing straight grains last year... It's not really that hard if you just follow one of the good teks, and don't try to do any guess work... Plus it gives you a feel for casing.

I will say that I did pf cakes once, but it was just for kicks.

--------------------
Drugs don't have spiritual potential, human beings have spiritual potential. And it may be that we need techniques to move us in that direction, and the use of psychoactive drugs clearly is one path that has helped many people.
-Andrew Weil

Offlinemordah
Stranger

Re: Is it really all that necessary to start out with PF cakes? [Re: ChrisWho]
    #10248746 - 04/28/09 11:05 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

ill start with monotub just because i cant sit around my cakes for days duaring fruiting process, probably will use grains as i got massive bag from god knows where and spawn that in to the coir/coffe bulk

OfflineChrisWho
Psilosopher

Re: Is it really all that necessary to start out with PF cakes? [Re: mordah]
    #10248765 - 04/28/09 11:07 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Sounds like a plan....

--------------------
Drugs don't have spiritual potential, human beings have spiritual potential. And it may be that we need techniques to move us in that direction, and the use of psychoactive drugs clearly is one path that has helped many people.
-Andrew Weil

Offlinek4ge
Male User Gallery

#10248770 - 04/28/09 11:08 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Just make sure you do your reading if your planning to do bulk.
PF isn't necessary to start, it's just easy.

--------------------
All posts by this user are not to be taken seriously.
Seriously.

Offlinemordah
Stranger

Re: Is it really all that necessary to start out with PF cakes? [Re: k4ge]
    #10249065 - 04/28/09 12:04 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

definitely mate, i've done quite a lot of research already but there is no harm to do some more,ill keep you updated. trying to get some half decent gear now. Lads and babes from UK, do you know where can i get presto 23q PC? somebody mentioned in early posts that they are available,but i cant locate one.. sorry about thread hijack.. first and the last time, auch!

OfflineMad River
Reverend, Churchof Todd
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Great Lakes Region, U...
    #10249201 - 04/28/09 12:29 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Offlineatomic1
enthusiast
Male

Loc: Appalachia
    #10249205 - 04/28/09 12:29 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I vote casings/bulks to start with 100%. I'm not knocking the pf tek, its just that if you're smart enough to take the time to read, understand, and execute it then there's no reason to not skip it to get bigger and better yields.  Casings, bulks, and monotubs aren't really more difficult. If you can read and follow a tek  and be clean then you'll be pumping out great yields in no time.  The pf tek has just been around so long and is so trusted and reliable that it has become almost a right of passage for beginners b4 they move on. People get stuck in their ways. Its all fine and well and especially if you don't have a PC but if at all possible to bypass the cakes then IMO do so. If you have a PC it seems a waste of time

Offlinemordah
Stranger

Re: Is it really all that necessary to start out with PF cakes? [Re: Mad River]
    #10249231 - 04/28/09 12:35 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

thats US unfortunately they don't ship to uk.. thanks anyways

OfflineMad River
Reverend, Churchof Todd
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Great Lakes Region, U...
    #10249454 - 04/28/09 01:23 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I don't know if there's something like Craigslist where you live. You can also try eBay, garage sales, second-hand stores like Goodwill and The Salvation Army (whatever you have in your area like that). Other online sites, try the trading area here at the Shroomery, etc.

I got mine off Craigslist.

Invisiblebosch
Re: Is it really all that necessary to start out with PF cakes? [Re: Mad River]
    #10249650 - 04/28/09 01:59 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

PF Cakes are kind of just a novelty.

Useful to learning how the lifecycle works, basically, and that's all cultivation is when you come down to it; you are forcing a certain species of fungus, usually from it's first stage in its lifecycle, spores, to it's last, fruiting bodies which produce those spores. Cakes have pretty low yields and are basically just as much work as bulk meathods, so it seems moderately silly to me if the intention is to try to produce a lot of fruit.

That being said, knowing how the growing works in relation to lifecycles isn't terribly nessicary for easy species, like cubes, which I assume most in MC are trying to grow. They nearly grow themselves, just follow good cultivator's directions to the T :P. And, as stated before, cakes can be used for casings, so...

Can you find any places around that have canning supplies in general? Jars, etc. They should probably at least know of a place where you can get a PC. They don't seem to be as popular of appliances as they once were, but a lot of places with kitchen stuff will have one or two.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck