Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisiblePsiloseeker
The Psilo Seeker
Male
P Torch cultivation
    #10241664 - 04/27/09 09:26 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I have a rooted 12" P Torch cactus arriving in a few days (many said stay away from Torch as you never know what you are getting, I took a chance with a supposedly reputable vendor < mod edit - no vendor discussion in the ethnogarden, so don't leave clues to vendor names!!!!!! any idiot could figure out which vendor you are talking about from that! > A few questions:

The plant should be potted and rooted.  When it arrives should I immediately transfer to new pot and soil mix?  What is a good soil mix, go to organic nursery and ask for cactus mix or will Lowes/Depot work fine?

Is it ok to cut and start 2 plants right away or stay with one for now?  Never cut/rooted before so I don't want to screw it up but having 2 cacti instead of 1 would be nice.

Plan is to keep in front of a south facing window which gets 4-6 hours of fairly direct sun per day.  Open the window a crack during days to provide fresh air.  Perhaps put outside on sunny patio on days I am certain it won't rain.  Water when first planted, then just lightly mist once in a while when soil gets dry. Live in northeast US.  Does all this sound good?  Any corrections/other advice?

Thanks!

Edited by Dr. uarewotueat (04/27/09 08:29 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHarveyWalbanger
Demiurge
Male

Loc: 8b
Re: P Torch cultivation [Re: Psiloseeker]
    #10243080 - 04/27/09 02:13 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

You got anywhere sunnier than a window? 4-6 hours is a teaser for these guys.

In my experience, water and soil nutrients are completely negotiable with these plants.  Sunlight is not.. Especially with faster growing specimines, like torches.

OfflineDr. uarewotueat
Peyote Farmer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Uk / Philippines
Re: P Torch cultivation [Re: Psiloseeker]
    #10245518 - 04/27/09 08:37 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

The plant should be potted and rooted.  When it arrives should I immediately transfer to new pot and soil mix?  What is a good soil mix, go to organic nursery and ask for cactus mix or will Lowes/Depot work fine?

it depends how big the pot is...
if it needs repotting (which it probably will) then remove it as carefully as possible so not to damage the roots.
some root damage will occur no matter how careful you are so allow the plant to sit dry in its new pot for a week before watering.
cactus roots need time to callous before they come into contact with water, the same as cactus flesh.

Quote:

Is it ok to cut and start 2 plants right away or stay with one for now?  Never cut/rooted before so I don't want to screw it up but having 2 cacti instead of 1 would be nice.

do as you wish with it, halving it and rooting the tip section is a good way to propagate more plants.

Quote:

Plan is to keep in front of a south facing window which gets 4-6 hours of fairly direct sun per day.

a bit more light would be nice as Harvey said.
i would put it outside on your patio, don't be scared to let it get rained on, just give it shelter when you know that you will be getting consecutive days of rain.
adjust it to a full sun position over the course of a month though, as you don't know how much sun it was recieveing before and you don't want to risk sunburning it.

--------------------
View My Gallery

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules