Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinemeatcakeman
the search for bodhisattva
Male User Gallery

Loc: el sol
Looking for a Gun
    #10230275 - 04/25/09 07:44 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Recent occurrences in my life have caused me to be a bit more inclined to buy a gun.

Since I'm not 21 yet, I cannot legally purchase handguns... Though disappointing as it sounds, I haven't ruled out that option.

Because of the issue on legality, I have to focus my sights on rifles and shotguns.*

*or somehow utilize the black market in acquiring a handgun, which I exponentially prefer due to its size and reliability.

I am looking for a firearm that is reliable, easy to use, and very good at what it does. I don't really have any hobbies in the sporting or hunting department, so a tactical gun would be more desirable; I also want to get a little hands-on experience with firearms before I go to Officer Candidate School to become a Naval officer. Also, I'm a full-time college student, so I don't exactly have a large spending potential.

Any suggestions, comments, advice, etc. are welcome.

Also, are there any options in purchasing a firearm online in which I can somehow bypass the Firearm Transfer through an FLL dealer, i.e. importing, online pawning, etc.?

--------------------
大开眼界

:awegroove:
:fbsnugs::fbsnugs::fbsnugs:
Hasta siempre, comandante.
:mattz:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: Looking for a Gun [Re: meatcakeman]
    #10230333 - 04/25/09 08:42 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

For home defense, a shotgun is really preferable for a number of reasons.

If you are talking about carrying a gun on you when you go out, please reconsider- this is a bad idea.

OTOH, as an officer you'll be required to carry and qualify with a handgun, likely a .45. Local gun club or shooting range will have all the info and help you need- go have a talk with them.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

OfflineVisionary Tools
Male User Gallery

Re: Looking for a Gun [Re: Doc_T]
    #10230383 - 04/25/09 09:08 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah, go for a shotgun. For short to medium range combat (which, in defending a home, is what you'd be doing) you want a shotgun. Easier to hit than with a pistol, and more stopping power.

As for a pistol, I'd go with a revolver, purely as revolvers are easier to maintain, and will serve you for the rest of your life.

In terms of a rifle, you want something that you can rest easily, so a bipod is useful (or, wrapping rope around a tree, then twisting it so it works as a handle for the barrell) and a good sight. You want nothing smaller than .3 inches caliber, which has a range good up to about 800 meters, if hunting for your own food takes your fancy.

--------------------

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Looking for a Gun [Re: Visionary Tools]
    #10230401 - 04/25/09 09:18 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Also with a shotgun, less chance of punching through a wall and killing your kid, your dog, your neighbor.

TV gives you an odd impression of guns. When you're actually in the military and using firearms professionally, you'll see what I mean.

For now, just take my word for it- guns on TV are about as realistic as drugs on TV.

--------------------

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Loc: FL
    #10233600 - 04/25/09 09:33 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

meatcakeman said:
Recent occurrences in my life have caused me to be a bit more inclined to buy a gun.

Since I'm not 21 yet, I cannot legally purchase handguns... Though disappointing as it sounds, I haven't ruled out that option.

Because of the issue on legality, I have to focus my sights on rifles and shotguns.*

*or somehow utilize the black market in acquiring a handgun, which I exponentially prefer due to its size and reliability.

I am looking for a firearm that is reliable, easy to use, and very good at what it does. I don't really have any hobbies in the sporting or hunting department, so a tactical gun would be more desirable; I also want to get a little hands-on experience with firearms before I go to Officer Candidate School to become a Naval officer. Also, I'm a full-time college student, so I don't exactly have a large spending potential.

Any suggestions, comments, advice, etc. are welcome.

Also, are there any options in purchasing a firearm online in which I can somehow bypass the Firearm Transfer through an FLL dealer, i.e. importing, online pawning, etc.?

the only thing a throw away gun is good for is killing people and not getting traced.  otherwise they are useless, you cant ever use it to protect yourself, because it is an illegal gun.

as stated above for home defense, get a shotgun.  you can find a charles daly 12ga at a gunshow for a reasonable price, around $250 new.  its a fine shotgun for the price and certainly good enough to defend yourself.  you can also check out pawn shops and gun shops, both have used guns.

i would wait until you turn 21 to get a handgun.

--------------------

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

#10233695 - 04/25/09 09:55 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Visionary Tools said:
Yeah, go for a shotgun. For short to medium range combat (which, in defending a home, is what you'd be doing) you want a shotgun. Easier to hit than with a pistol, and more stopping power.

As for a pistol, I'd go with a revolver, purely as revolvers are easier to maintain, and will serve you for the rest of your life.

In terms of a rifle, you want something that you can rest easily, so a bipod is useful (or, wrapping rope around a tree, then twisting it so it works as a handle for the barrell) and a good sight. You want nothing smaller than .3 inches caliber, which has a range good up to about 800 meters, if hunting for your own food takes your fancy.

revolvers in theory and  purported "experience" are more reliable, but i think it all boils down to personal choice.  i have 5 pistols, 4 semi's and 1 revolver.  none of which have ever jammed on me, one being an original ruger mark pistol, thousands and thousand of rounds and not one jam.

the major setback to a revolver is fewer rounds and longer reload time.  a potentially lethal combination if there are more than one intruder or you are not a marksman.  i love my revolver, but i would grab any one of my semi's or 12ga over it any day.

there are several calibers under .3 that are more than suitable for hunting, its all about how well you shoot.  and most hunting is done within the 100-300 meter range.

--------------------

OfflineBrownThumb
Versed in sterility
 User Gallery

Re: Looking for a Gun [Re: LeftyBurnz]
    #10233737 - 04/25/09 10:06 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Umm, I would DEFINITELY AVOID purchasing any guns through the black market.  That is a recipe for ending up in jail, where you aren't going to have anything more than a plastic spork to defend yourself from gangs roaming through the showers.  Seriously, you do not want to get caught with an illegal gun.  And, as someone else pointed out, you can't use it.  Even if you try to claim self-defense, you're going to be in a load of shit for having it in the first place.

My advice is, if you are finding yourself in situations where you need to protect yourself with a gun, you should get a new life.  Move.  Get new friends.  Find a new hobby.

I've seen lots of young gang members in the hospital.  Many leave with colostomy bags, spinal injuries, disfiguring wounds, lost eyes, etc etc. 

Seriously, do everything you can to avoid even the possibility of getting shot and ending up with a colostomy bag.  It is worse than the worst trip you've ever had, and it lasts a lot longer.

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Re: Looking for a Gun [Re: BrownThumb]
    #10233789 - 04/25/09 10:21 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

i have a throw away hidden somewhere if the need ever arises.  but i certainly wouldnt use it to defend myself.

--------------------

Offlinemeatcakeman
Male User Gallery

#10238075 - 04/26/09 06:02 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I had a "hot" gun once, back in high school. 'Twas a Beretta 9mm. Served its purpose well.

Luckily, I recirculated it back onto the streets via gang-affiliated relatives. I'm not looking to obtain such a firearm again though :lol:. I was thinking more along the lines of Chinese imported firearms, or pawn shops working under the table.

Whatever. I'll just wait another year or so to ensure the legality of any handgun purchase.

Hmmm. I'll definitely look into getting a shotgun. CA banned assault rifles, so that leaves me with only a few plausible options.

--------------------
大开眼界

Offlinemeatcakeman
Male User Gallery

#10238508 - 04/26/09 07:21 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I have my sights set on this bad boy.

:crazy2:

--------------------
大开眼界

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10238632 - 04/26/09 07:38 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

As a substitute phallus?
Should work just fine, unless you need even more over-compensation.

(Seriously, I'm glad you decided on a shotgun. Assault rifle? Gimme afukken break.)

--------------------

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

#10238720 - 04/26/09 07:53 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

nothing wrong with semi automatic rifles with pistol grips.  the biggest joke is the term "assault rifle".

select fire constitutes an assault rifle, not a high capacity magazine and a pistol grip.

and either way it boils down to the people, not the weapons.

--------------------

InvisibleJRayV
former guy on couch
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: l Flag
    #10239234 - 04/26/09 09:14 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I agree that a shotgun is the best choice - preferably a pump since

they're significantly cheaper and have more than adequate speed for

defensive use.

Also, I recommend you check out the Mossberg 500 and Remington 870

series as they both have excellent reputations and are available in

different models for less than $400.

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

Re: Looking for a Gun [Re: JRayV]
    #10241069 - 04/27/09 04:20 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

my charles daly field tactical AW is a 870 copy, well built for the price, $250.

--------------------

InvisibleJRayV
former guy on couch
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: l Flag
    #10241483 - 04/27/09 08:21 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Yea that's another good one for the same price as the others.

OfflineVisionary Tools
Male User Gallery

#10241518 - 04/27/09 08:37 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

leftysurprise said:
Quote:

Visionary Tools said:

revolvers in theory and  purported "experience" are more reliable, but i think it all boils down to personal choice.  i have 5 pistols, 4 semi's and 1 revolver.  none of which have ever jammed on me, one being an original ruger mark pistol, thousands and thousand of rounds and not one jam.

the major setback to a revolver is fewer rounds and longer reload time.  a potentially lethal combination if there are more than one intruder or you are not a marksman.  i love my revolver, but i would grab any one of my semi's or 12ga over it any day.

there are several calibers under .3 that are more than suitable for hunting, its all about how well you shoot.  and most hunting is done within the 100-300 meter range.

I stand corrected. For me, I don't like pistols. In a fight, I'd go for a shotgun because I wouldn't trust my aim under pressure.

As for the arguements over 7.62 versus 5.56 rounds, I'm still going to go with the bigger bullet. I know 5.56 are more than powerful enough to kill someone or even a cow, but there's very cheap bolt action rifles that are still accurate despite their age (lee enfield no.1 mkIII. Look for the Indian made Rifle 7.62 mm 2A if you can, that uses the 7.62NATO round. There's also a number of mosin nagants and garand rifles that are good)

That's why I'd go for a rifle of that sort. Plus, shooting at things over half a mile away is cool, you can't argue at that.

--------------------

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Looking for a Gun [Re: JRayV]
    #10241638 - 04/27/09 09:21 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

JRayV said:

defensive use.

Not to mention the noise they make when you pump a round into the chamber. That'll stop any sane and normal person right where they are.
"It's ok dude, I was just leaving. Thanks, have a nice day." Like that.

--------------------

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

#10243110 - 04/27/09 02:20 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Visionary Tools said:
Quote:

leftysurprise said:
Quote:

Visionary Tools said:

I stand corrected. For me, I don't like pistols. In a fight, I'd go for a shotgun because I wouldn't trust my aim under pressure.

As for the arguements over 7.62 versus 5.56 rounds, I'm still going to go with the bigger bullet. I know 5.56 are more than powerful enough to kill someone or even a cow, but there's very cheap bolt action rifles that are still accurate despite their age (lee enfield no.1 mkIII. Look for the Indian made Rifle 7.62 mm 2A if you can, that uses the 7.62NATO round. There's also a number of mosin nagants and garand rifles that are good)

That's why I'd go for a rifle of that sort. Plus, shooting at things over half a mile away is cool, you can't argue at that.

well ive been shooting for years and i could shoot a mole off of your ear if i wanted to, so accuracy isnt a problem for me, if it was however i think i would still go for my 9mm, if its in my home then it is close proximity and i feel better about having 16 rounds in the gun and 16 more in my pocket instead of 7 that i have to pump.  in the time it takes me to unload the 7 from my 12ga, i could have let off damn near all 32 of those 9mm rounds.

and besides thats in the home, you cant carry a shotgun around in public lol.  if your aim is your problem then i would just go to the range and work on your aim.  its a valuable skill that could save your life one day.

well we werent talking about affordability vision :wink:, i was just disputing your points on hunting and size v.s power.  if its affordability youre talking about then mosins are incredibly reliable and very accurate for 100+ year old military surplus.  i got my 91/30 for $75 and 1440 rounds for like $150, and i plan on getting a synthetic stock for $60(shave a few pounds off of the rifle and make it more comfortable to shoot)thats alot of power for the price, good for hunting, however not something i would depend on for defense. bolt actions are only good for hunting and sniping anymore.

nope, cant argue the awesomeness of long distance shooting, thats for sure.  :awesome:

--------------------

InvisibleLeftyBurnz
Mr. I Eat Butthole
Male User Gallery

#10243134 - 04/27/09 02:23 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Doc_T said:
Quote:

JRayV said:

defensive use.

Not to mention the noise they make when you pump a round into the chamber. That'll stop any sane and normal person right where they are.
"It's ok dude, I was just leaving. Thanks, have a nice day." Like that.

depends, if you have an unarmed intruder then hell yes they will run, you wont even have to say anything, however if you have someone that is armed with a firearm, it could trigger an intense adrenaline rush and you might have a firefight in your home, so before you think the beautiful click clack of a pump will do the work, you had better hope youre a better shot or dont run out of ammo first.

--------------------

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10243684 - 04/27/09 03:58 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Well, that's another great reason for a shotgun, you don't really have to be that good a shot- anything in the general area will work. As for as running out of ammo first, there's more TV imagery. If you are in the same room as somebody else, and both of you are shooting, running out of ammo isn't really likely.

Though if you have armed individuals breaking into your home, I'd say a better use for your money would be a U-Haul.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom