Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecoolboarderguy
Hunter and Gatherer
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Id request psilocybe subaeruginascens ?
    #10220574 - 04/23/09 02:32 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Hey guys , some of you have been in my spring thread  but I thought I would post these in the main forum. These are growing in oregon. Just starting to realy pop up this last week.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleParaboloid
mountain goat

Loc: Subpellis
Re: Id request psilocybe subaeruginascens ? [Re: coolboarderguy]
    #10220632 - 04/23/09 02:45 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

edit: nvm I have no idea, they resemble stuntzii but from the bluing pics in the other thread ide say jet li might be right on track, they kinda look like those cyanofibs that were recently found and confirmed.

--------------------
With black clouds storming
I walk without umbrellas into these woods
Don't need em cause the mighty trees above will shelter me good
I'm eating berries from the bushes of the heavenly good

Edited by Paraboloid (04/23/09 02:47 PM)

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Id request psilocybe subaeruginascens ? [Re: Paraboloid]
    #10220639 - 04/23/09 02:47 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Cap color is off for stuntzii, looks like Psilocybe subaeruginascens sensu Guzman.

Quote:

they kinda look like those cyanofibs that were recently found and confirmed.

They look nothing like that, those looked more like liberty caps that were growing from wood chips.

OfflineStrophariaceae
mycologist
 User Gallery

Loc: Marvelous Marin County, C...
Re: Id request psilocybe subaeruginascens ? [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #10222206 - 04/23/09 07:49 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I concur with Alan on this – P. subaeruginascens sensu Guzmán. As always, I'd love to see micro-images just to nail it down for sure, but I'm pretty sure that's what it is. Considering that I have confirmed collections of this species from Seattle (which also lack the characteristic campanulate shape of many of the Bay Area collections), it makes perfect sense that it should be turning up in Oregon.

Oh, and there's no way that's P. cyanofibrillosa (by which, I mean the real one) – have another look at Workman's picture of that one.

Edited by Strophariaceae (04/23/09 07:51 PM)

Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

Re: Id request psilocybe subaeruginascens ? [Re: Strophariaceae]
    #10222854 - 04/23/09 09:26 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

jeez, that DOES look like p subaeruginascens I've found in the Bay Area..especially the second photo

Richmond, California, 2006

p subaeruginascens

although around the Bay Area the pins are much darker, then turn lighter after a few days. The pins on the lower left of the second photo would be much darker if they were from around here, san francisco..at least what we've sen so far

Edited by auweia (04/23/09 09:37 PM)

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Id request psilocybe subaeruginascens ? [Re: auweia]
    #10223264 - 04/23/09 10:37 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Also the annulus in his pics seems a bit more substantial than the subaeruginascens from the bay area.

Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

Re: Id request psilocybe subaeruginascens ? [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #10228559 - 04/24/09 08:28 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

another way to look at it...it's probably psilocybe of some kind..eat one single mushroom....if hendrix peaks down from the clouds, it's probably subaeruginascens

tough call on those pics tho..it could be. I see a little scaly action on the stem in the first photo, similar to the bay area kind. maybe it's some other new variant, like the way the ones in southern california are another variant

how do they smell?..strong?

Offlinecoolboarderguy
Hunter and Gatherer
 User Gallery

#10228729 - 04/24/09 09:19 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I'm sure these cant be P. cyanofibrillosa . I have eaten a few and did feel effects. Still need to eat a full dose. More potent than cubensis for sure. These smell incredibly strong. Stronger than azures or cyans. The were only that light because it was a nice day and was starting to dry out right before they got a lot of water. A lot of times the pins are darker.

Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

#10228783 - 04/24/09 09:36 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

ok...they could be some new variant then...I know that tyhe ones from southern california near Los Angeles are different from the San Francisco kind, not quite as potent and not as vigorous mycelium growth either

but if you ate just a few and felt it, it's probably not stuntzii. subaeruginascens definitely smells stronger than cyans and IS stronger than cyans, for the SF variety

come to think of it, I think there's two different varieties within the SF Bay Area..

see all the documentation here >  http://mushroomobserver.org/name/show_name/5513

see the Curecat collection. I've only seen wavy gills like that on a few specimens, so I think there's at least a couple different strains appearing

I can tell you for sure, that if you eat 5 average size specimens, only half fully mature, that's a heavy trip, with the ones I found in SF at least. I haven't done it, but a friend has, and you ought to hear the answering machine message he sent while on it...hehe..yeah he was actually able to dial the number

Two average specimens are quite enough for me, thank you, but that's only for the variety I found in SF and Richmond, and cyans or friscosas don't appro9ach that potency at all...my guess is, for the subaeruginascens I found, the potency is at least 1 1/2 times that of cyans

I can't speak for the other varieties found, but we've gotten a few clues that it's not quite as potent, or more like cyans, or a little less

still, if you already tried it, you have a basic handle on the potency already, and regardless of whether it can be properly identified, you certainly have something there...stuntzzi would be more like 10-20 before you feel it

oh yeah, one other thing...the pics you posted so far seem a little immature and close to pin stage. Thery ought to get bigger if you don't pick them, so come back and post some more when they get bigger..post a few picked upside down shots of the gills too

Edited by auweia (04/24/09 09:49 PM)

Offlinejet li
The One
Male User Gallery

Loc: penis double yew
    #10228919 - 04/24/09 10:05 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

coolboarderguy said:
I'm sure these cant be P. cyanofibrillosa . I have eaten a few and did feel effects.

Just curious; What about P. cyanofibrillosa would not give you effect when eaten?  Are they notorious for being a weak shroom?  I have never heard that.  I always thought they were just below par with the Big boys....cyans/azures/baeos.

Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

Re: Id request psilocybe subaeruginascens ? [Re: jet li]
    #10229246 - 04/24/09 10:56 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

proper p cyanofibrillosa is also relatively rare and is known to only occur in Washington...I don't live there as I live in San Francisco, but over the years there hasn't been much regarding this species, except to confuse it with 'friscosa' (slang)  a variant of p cyanesense, which is more common in San Francisco than anywhere else

p subaeruginascens, however, which is the subject of this thread, is an entirely new phenomena altogether, and is currently classified under a whole new section (stuntzae), seperate and distinct from the 'cyanescens complex' that includes cyans, fibrillosa, and 'friscosa'

yeah, it's complicated and difficult and it's getting more difficult with each passing year, because we're seeing stuff now that has never been seen before, within the last 5 years or so...The amount of new and interesting species appearing is on the increase.

it's a real challenge now for the experts to even stay on top of the major discoveries, much less the minor ones

a real flood of onformation....keep us busy allright....sheesh

p cyanofibrillosa is known to be similar to p cyanescens in strength, when fresh (west coast variety), but consistently loses much of it upon drying, which is a unique characteristic..In contrast, p cyanescens usually loses about half the potency after 6 months in open air in a dark place in a dry paper bag

contrast to that, p subaeruginascens loses less than 10 % after 3 years in the same conditions, on top of being more potent than cyans, which is extremely unusual for any species in the psilocybe genus ( I was shocked to discover this artifact)

the more photos you can post, the better it gets

Edited by auweia (04/24/09 11:42 PM)

Offlinejet li
The One
Male User Gallery

Loc: penis double yew
    #10229528 - 04/24/09 11:49 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Hmmmm...interesting.  I am interested.  I'm going to try and find some info on these, concerning microscopy.  thanks for the info.  I am a newb to these new species.  later.

Offlinecoolboarderguy
Hunter and Gatherer
 User Gallery

Re: Id request psilocybe subaeruginascens ? [Re: jet li]
    #10229630 - 04/25/09 12:18 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

This is really interesting! Im excited about the whole idea. I didnt mean to say fibs were not potent, those were to separate ideas. Sorry for the confustion. Im just sure they arent because of the lack of any fibers on the stems. Here are some more pictures

Invisiblecaphillkid
Coquus Boleti

Loc: Jet City
    #10231394 - 04/25/09 02:04 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Damn, very exciting finds there Coolboarderguy.

Offlinecoolboarderguy
Hunter and Gatherer
 User Gallery

Re: Id request psilocybe subaeruginascens ? [Re: caphillkid]
    #10231994 - 04/25/09 04:17 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks everyone Unfortunatly these are close to a frequented trail so I have to pick some early that are way to noticeable to people.

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
    #10232093 - 04/25/09 04:37 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

P. subaeruginascens sensu Guzmán characteristically grow in the Spring, so that's consistent.  The annulus is indeed more pronounced, but I can also tell it is fragile and collapses against the stem creating a blue ring, just like the ones I've collected.  I've only seen the wavy gills from two patches, but it later turned out that the patches were transplants from the same individual organism, so yeah, I've only seen that trait consistently in one "patch" so to speak.

Cool find.  I think this is the first confirmed (with photos) report from Oregon that I've seen.

--------------------

Invisiblecaphillkid
Coquus Boleti

Loc: Jet City
Re: Id request psilocybe subaeruginascens ? [Re: CureCat]
    #10242868 - 04/27/09 01:39 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Coming to a Washington area near you!  :crazy2:

(from an S.F. print provided by a gracious Shroomery member)

Edited by caphillkid (04/27/09 01:39 PM)

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
Re: Id request psilocybe subaeruginascens ? [Re: caphillkid]
    #10243313 - 04/27/09 02:58 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

For a second there I thought the mason jars were floating.

--------------------

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a Chemical Vacation
Re: Id request psilocybe subaeruginascens ? [Re: CureCat]
    #10243333 - 04/27/09 03:01 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

They are levitating, what with all the magic inside of them.

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

Offlinecoolboarderguy
Hunter and Gatherer
 User Gallery

Re: Id request psilocybe subaeruginascens ? [Re: German Kahuna]
    #10244721 - 04/27/09 06:40 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Is that alder you're spawning it to? Has anyone thought about horse manure and woodshavings? I remember reading that in one of the books.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds