Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleTherian
Stranger
 User Gallery
Identification guides for Midwest
    #10212792 - 04/22/09 09:53 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I have searched prior posts concerning best mushroom identification guides, but there does not seem to be any consensus.  I live in the Midwest and am interested in local edible mushroom identification.

I don't want or need texts which have mushrooms identified from the pacific northwest or far eastern seaboard, as this most likely would only lead to confusion/identify irrelevant species.

I have been looking at both edible wild mushrooms of Illinois and surrounding areas, or perhaps mushrooms and other fungi of mid continental united states.  Does anyone have any experience with either of these texts? Any preference on these or others specifically meant for the Midwest?

Although each doesn't have my particular state in their listings I'm sure the species would be more relevant. It does seem as though the Illinois text has more species which are indigenous to the grasslands ( or at least it seemed to in the description on amazon.com)

I am mainly looking for something with LOTS of good color photographs along with keys.

Thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Identification guides for Midwest [Re: Therian]
    #10217564 - 04/23/09 12:12 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

In general books about the eastern US should do a pretty good job of describing the mushrooms you'll find. The geographical divide in the US coincides reasonably well through most of the country with the continental divide in the Rocky Mountains.

A good author you might want to look for books by would be Alexander H. Smith, who was based in Michigan.

If you're looking for edibles, Michael Kuo has a pretty good book out on edibles. Another great book is by Alan Bessette. (Google those names - you'll find the books I'm thinking of, and might find others you'd like).

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract