Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinelysergicide
Aurora Borealis
Male

Loc: 41.8861° N, 12.4851° E
A look into the schizophrenic mind
    #10202370 - 04/20/09 03:36 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

i already posted this in the health & well being forum, but knowing that many few of you ever venture over there, i decided to post it in the pub and maybe it'll get some more views from some interested users. :smile:

well anyways, i saw these videos a year ago in my psychology class. even though i've seen them over and over again, they're just still so amazingly interesting to me. i figured i'd share them with you guys and hopefully you will feel the same way. psychology is such an interesting topic, and i just wanted to share these videos with you.

all i know is that apparently they are called "a case study in schizophrenia" and it documents 2 separate patients: gerald and heather. i knew schizophrenia was a very serious condition, but just seeing it play out on film like this makes it so much more intriguing to me how the brain works.

well, enjoy, and tell me what you think!

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineskatealex2
////////////////
 User Gallery

Re: A look into the schizophrenic mind [Re: lysergicide]
    #10202418 - 04/20/09 03:46 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

take psychedelics :gethigh:

Offlinelysergicide
Aurora Borealis
Male

Re: A look into the schizophrenic mind [Re: skatealex2]
    #10202432 - 04/20/09 03:49 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

haha i wonder what a psychedelic trip for somebody on schizophrenia must be like. must be exclusively intense and surely horrifying, no matter what conditions; i think schizophrenia is a very scary disease and i don't know if it would be possible for somebody afflicted (at least as bad as gerald & heather) to have a pleasant trip.

what do you guys think of the videos though?
did they interest you in the least?

InvisibleCognitive_Shift
CS actual
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10202457 - 04/20/09 03:55 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Those were both pretty much full blown cases of schizophrenia imo.

--------------------
L'enfer est plein de bonnes volontés et désirs

InvisibleCognitive_Shift
CS actual
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10202462 - 04/20/09 03:56 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

lysergicide said:
what do you guys think of the videos though?
did they interest you in the least?

Psych major.

--------------------

Offlinelysergicide
Aurora Borealis
Male

Re: A look into the schizophrenic mind [Re: Cognitive_Shift]
    #10202476 - 04/20/09 03:59 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I'm not a psychology major but I took a psychology class in high school and I was amazed with how much I learned. It was such a fantastic class.

Did you enjoy the vids though?

InvisibleCognitive_Shift
CS actual
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10202486 - 04/20/09 04:00 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I have seen them before.  Yeah they are interesting.

--------------------

OfflineStatisticons_win
Stranger

#10202517 - 04/20/09 04:06 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

my brother is schizo and he isn't fun when we get tripped together.  Its not something I hope any of you ever hae to go through, having shizo family.  That shit is positievley un good. Having your head split in to, everywhree you go there is ome in the rear view, and no matter how often you are told it just isn't true, you know the feds are out to get you. it really sucks.  Man, we were gonna go see the dead the other night but he was worried about a hit.  i was like just make sure you wear your tie dyes, they won'tbeable to see you.  He was like dude, they are gonna kill me, if I see this one dude we are in trouble.  we didn't go.  he loves the dead, he is really the one that tunred me on to them.  It really sucks.  He use to be such a sweet heart, now he doesn't even know who is out to kill him and who isn't.  it makes things real tough at home.

In my book schizo getsa  big thumbsdown.

--------------------

OfflineKickleM
Wanderer
 User Gallery

Re: A look into the schizophrenic mind [Re: Cognitive_Shift]
    #10202548 - 04/20/09 04:12 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I only watched the first one, but I was kind of offended by it.

The editing was annoying -- ie when he was going to explain why the picture had a headache (which I felt could be telling why HE has a headache/psychological pain) they muted him and talked over him. How can anyone make an accurate judgment of that? I was really interested in what he was saying, and they just cut him off.

Then, in the second half with his mom, sheesh, what a lop-sided conversation that was. Don't listen to anything he's saying, just assume he's trying to ignore you. Yeah, he's the way he is out of spite... And doctors, please, reinforce this by telling him he needs to listen to his mom. Great, good work, pretend he's just like you and control it. Don't listen to him, don't ask what's going on for him...

Granted, I have to take into account the situation they were in. It was a consultation in which they were trying to get Gerald to stay put. But still, that's what they show for education? That doesn't give me any idea of what Gerald is like. That gives me an idea of what the system is like, and it seems like the system has no good way to deal with Gerald.

--------------------
Why shouldn't the truth be stranger than fiction?
Fiction, after all, has to make sense. -- Mark Twain

Offlinelysergicide
Aurora Borealis
Male

Re: A look into the schizophrenic mind [Re: Kickle]
    #10202683 - 04/20/09 04:34 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

But still, it's just how he's presenting these thoughts or ideas despite the given situation. His head must be a mess of thoughts I'm sure.

Offlineigwna
The Cap'n
Male

Loc: New England, USA
    #10202693 - 04/20/09 04:36 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

very interesting. i would love to see these illnesses fixed somehow.

i wish it was as easy as a controlled psychedelic trip or something.'

i really feel for these people. it scares the shit out of me  people with these illnessess get at me somehow.
i used to go to a mental home cause i had anxiety and i met tons of people with horrible mental illnesses.

i  talked to them though.

:shineon:

--------------------
I don't believe in cops, bosses, or politicians. Some call that anarchism. I call it having a fucking heart that beats.

Edited by igwna (04/20/09 04:37 PM)

Offlinelysergicide
Aurora Borealis
Male

Re: A look into the schizophrenic mind [Re: igwna]
    #10202730 - 04/20/09 04:42 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

theMERRYiguana said:

i really feel for these people. it scares the shit out of me  people with these illnessess get at me somehow.
i used to go to a mental home cause i had anxiety and i met tons of people with horrible mental illnesses.

i admit i don't get out and see people like these often, but a few times i was at my psychiatrists office and i see quacks. not people that are obviously "out of it", but drugged up lizards who could barely walk or function. that kind of shit scares me. why do they put themselves through that?

but yeah, back to the schizophrenics.

how they present their ideas or outlooks on the world is so unique and obscure, yet in some way enlightening because we're forced to reconsider what we already know and forced to reconsider what is right or "logical".

i think i would love to just sit down one day with a schizophrenic and have a conversation, and just see where it goes.

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: SF Bay Area Flag
    #10202774 - 04/20/09 04:54 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

lysergicide said:
But still, it's just how he's presenting these thoughts or ideas despite the given situation. His head must be a mess of thoughts I'm sure.

So that makes him crazy?

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

Offlinelysergicide
Aurora Borealis
Male

Re: A look into the schizophrenic mind [Re: Poid]
    #10202788 - 04/20/09 04:57 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Poid said:
Quote:

lysergicide said:

So that makes him crazy?

Not at all. I never said that, and I don't "decide" those types of things.

I was just noting that the effects of this person's condition were interesting to me.

People have their own ways of talking, but when you get very visual and metaphorical and often times illogical like that, it makes you unsure how to interpret it, or what they truly meant.

OfflineStatisticons_win
Stranger

#10202792 - 04/20/09 04:58 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

lysergicide said:
Quote:

theMERRYiguana said:

i admit i don't get out and see people like these often, but a few times i was at my psychiatrists office and i see quacks. not people that are obviously "out of it", but drugged up lizards who could barely walk or function. that kind of shit scares me. why do they put themselves through that?

how they present their ideas or outlooks on the world is so unique and obscure, yet in some way enlightening because we're forced to reconsider what we already know and forced to reconsider what is right or "logical".

i think i would love to just sit down one day with a schizophrenic and have a conversation, and just see where it goes.

seriously, it usually goes very poorly. especially if they aren't on their presrcibed meds.

--------------------

Offlinelysergicide
Aurora Borealis
Male

Re: A look into the schizophrenic mind [Re: Statisticons_win]
    #10202812 - 04/20/09 05:03 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Statisticons_win said:
Quote:

lysergicide said:
Quote:

theMERRYiguana said:

seriously, it usually goes very poorly. especially if they aren't on their presrcibed meds.

i wonder what they think of "us"? if they think that we're crazy for judging them, or what?

OfflineStatisticons_win
Stranger

#10202827 - 04/20/09 05:08 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

my brother thinks we are all crazy cause we can't see the grand scheme of things.  He is baffled by my suspected inability to understand the machinations that pervade absolutely our lives.  Little does he know that I see them, i am just able to relegate them to their proper places.  Its weird, his fears are absolutely irrational.  they hospitalized him for four years and he wouldn't take his meds cause the feds were involved, but as soon as the moved him to a state facility he started taking them.  that wasn't until after obama was elected though.  three weeks after Obama's inaug they finally let him go. they stole four years of his life.

--------------------

OfflineKickleM
Wanderer
 User Gallery

#10202838 - 04/20/09 05:11 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

lysergicide said:

The presentation is what's interesting to me. I, as someone else in this thread, am a psych major.
Likewise, as still another in this thread, I have a relative with schizophrenia.

I know how it can screw with a family dynamic. My mother goes a little batty herself over the condition. That doesn't stop me from wanting to hear how his day was, regardless of how he presents it. In fact, the more difficult it is to understand, the more interested I become. That's just my nature, and as a future psychologist, I feel that it is a crucial component. Perhaps I'm still overly optimistic and unrealistic, believing that given the opportunity to express how they're feeling, a schizophrenic individual will in fact be able to do so in their own way, not just spout nonsense as I feel it is often made out.

"We cannot change anything until we accept it. Condemnation does not liberate, it oppresses." - Carl Jung

In the video, I didn't witness curiosity, I witnessed condemnation.

"It all depends on how we look at things, and not how they are in themselves." - Carl Jung

--------------------
Why shouldn't the truth be stranger than fiction?
Fiction, after all, has to make sense. -- Mark Twain

Edited by Kickle (04/20/09 05:14 PM)

Offlinelysergicide
Aurora Borealis
Male

Re: A look into the schizophrenic mind [Re: Kickle]
    #10202913 - 04/20/09 05:27 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Kickle said:
Quote:

lysergicide said:

The presentation is what's interesting to me. I, as someone else in this thread, am a psych major.
Likewise, as still another in this thread, I have a relative with schizophrenia.

I know how it can screw with a family dynamic. My mother goes a little batty herself over the condition. That doesn't stop me from wanting to hear how his day was, regardless of how he presents it. In fact, the more difficult it is to understand, the more interested I become. That's just my nature, and as a future psychologist, I feel that it is a crucial component. Perhaps I'm still overly optimistic and unrealistic, believing that given the opportunity to express how they're feeling, a schizophrenic individual will in fact be able to do so in their own way, not just spout nonsense as I feel it is often made out.

"We cannot change anything until we accept it. Condemnation does not liberate, it oppresses." - Carl Jung

In the video, I didn't witness curiosity, I witnessed condemnation.

"It all depends on how we look at things, and not how they are in themselves." - Carl Jung

You are right about the video, it does seem like a very condemning thing now but I didn't see that before because I wasn't paying attention to a lot of the aspects that you were. You're a psych major so I'm sure you're picking up on things that I'm not.

InvisibleMEEZIE
Incognito

Loc: USA Flag
    #10203041 - 04/20/09 05:56 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Thats scary to think of having such a constant feeling of paranoia. I mean, ive had bad trips where i was totally paranoid. and have felt "stuck" like that, like it would always be like that, and that was scary, but to actually always feel like that....wow scary thought

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder