Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineshroombab
Visionary
Female User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Very small tek...
    #10186126 - 04/17/09 05:30 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Hey there

I've got myself one measly quart of colonized rye grain. Just questioning what my best options are here. I'm completely overwhelmed by the options, but would like to make the most out of my 1 quart as possible. Using a mono or dub tub seems to be the most practical route.

Any suggestions?

Thanks y'all

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineiskinbash
Male

Re: Very small tek... [Re: shroombab]
    #10186143 - 04/17/09 05:36 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Spawn it to a small batch of poo/coir. Use maybe 2 or 3 times as much poo/ coir as spawn to make your tray. That's what I would do.

--------------------
*iskinbash is merely a fictional character placed in a real life environment.

Offlineshroombab
Visionary
Female User Gallery

Re: Very small tek... [Re: iskinbash]
    #10193794 - 04/19/09 05:34 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

If I use a 1:4 to 1:6 ratio, thats like 5-7 quart jars of total substrate - what size tub do you think should be a good size?
I could put it in a tray inside a bigger monotub - but wouldn't the space then be too big to retain enough humidity for the amount of substrate?

Thanks!

Edited by shroombab (04/19/09 05:36 AM)

Offlineshroombab
Visionary
Female User Gallery

#10228523 - 04/24/09 08:19 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Update: (these are Mazatapecs btw)

After more research, I discovered that it doesn't matter a great deal about the empty space in the tub, as long as its got space for the shrooms to grow, and enough holes for FAE in relation to the size of the tub?

I thought I'd post my experiences here, and update with pics as I go,
THIS IS NOT A TEK, this is just a journal of what I'm doing, for feedback, support and fun. I'm just a first timer...

I went with a sterilite filing tub. 14.25" L x 9.5" W x 12.25" H
Because it seemed to be the right dimensions for my 1:5 ratio to end up as a 4" sub depth, with enough room for growth without dub-tubbing it. I made two holes flush with the top of casing / sub depth, on the long sides. Four holes all together.

For my substrate I used:

2 Quarts Coir
1 Quart Store bought Cow Manure (no amonia smell)
1 Quart Verm
1/2 Quart Spent Coffee grinds
1/2 Quart Gypsum

I ended up buying "oat hay", and dolomite lime, which after reading into, I decided better not to use, as its not recommended. Although all the advice says, just find a tek and follow it, this is not always possible when you can't find all the ingredients. Next time I would like to use Hpoo instead of, or as well as the cow manure. And if I decide to do a casing, I will try to find the right lime.

I got all the ingredients to field capacity, loaded them into jars, and sat them in boiling water at 140-160f for one hour.

Once cool I layered my substrate with the grain, into my tub, lined with black plastic, taped with black tape around the outside up to the level of substrate, and taped up the four holes. And I used the lid that came with the tub for the colonization part.

I've stored the tub on a high shelf, where the room temp is around 72F room temp, where it shall sit until fingers crossed I get a nice even colonization without contams. : )

Thanks community! You are the only ones I have to share this with...

Offlineshroombab
Visionary
Female User Gallery

#10295242 - 05/06/09 03:58 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Hey - update / questions

so its day 11 of colonization. I moved the monotub to a new room (had no choice) at day 5 when it was rapidly colonizing. The temp in the new room was lower and it took me a while to get settled and get the temp rigt again, and I noticed that it stalled, or at least slowed down a lot.

I didn't notice any change from days 5-8, then after I got the temp up in the room to about 72, and opened the lid twice to look inside and get a little FAE, I noticed it started growing but very slowly.

At day 10 I started to notice little brown lumps (not pins). and now day 11, I see two baby pins just under an inch long, that are growing but squashed flat to the surface of the substrate. Are these aborts?

I see more of the lumps too. Although the substrate doesn't look like others pics of fully colonized, there is white covering the whole top layer, that was like that since day 5 but its just not as thick and white as other people's

I'm sure it started pinning because I opened the lid and introduced FAE as well as shine light on it sometimes to see it, as well as dropped the temp, but I had no choice, it didnt do anything and the bottom felt cold for three days.

Should I just put it into full fruiting conditions now? Or wait a bit longer? It really seems to want to fruit...

http://

Edited by shroombab (05/06/09 04:16 AM)

Invisibleshroomiin
unprofound

Loc: Zone 6 Flag
    #10295341 - 05/06/09 04:49 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

shroombab said:
Hey there

I've got myself one measly quart of colonized rye grain. Just questioning what my best options are here. I'm completely overwhelmed by the options, but would like to make the most out of my 1 quart as possible. Using a mono or dub tub seems to be the most practical route.

Any suggestions?

Thanks y'all

i would have spawned it to a bunch of coir and made as many casings as i could out of it.

InvisibleRICE ROCKETZ
BELLA CHUCHA
Female User Gallery

Loc: DIRTY EASTCOAST
Re: Very small tek... *DELETED* [Re: shroombab]
    #10295398 - 05/06/09 05:23 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Post deleted by RICE ROCKETZ

Reason for deletion: delete

--------------------
ALL COMMENTS POSTED ARE FROM OTHERS KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIMINTATION AND QUESTIONS ARE PURELY BASED ON MY CURIOUSITY OF THE THIS PART OF THE SCIENTIFIC FIELD.

InvisibleRICE ROCKETZ
BELLA CHUCHA
Female User Gallery

Re: Very small tek... [Re: RICE ROCKETZ]
    #10295400 - 05/06/09 05:26 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Just case it using the many methods available on here, if you got one quart I'd play safe and use the dummie tek. Depends on your skills, Just my opinion.

--------------------
ALL COMMENTS POSTED ARE FROM OTHERS KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIMINTATION AND QUESTIONS ARE PURELY BASED ON MY CURIOUSITY OF THE THIS PART OF THE SCIENTIFIC FIELD.

InvisibleRICE ROCKETZ
BELLA CHUCHA
Female User Gallery

#10295408 - 05/06/09 05:31 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

After casing, incubate 2-3 days, then drop temp.to like 68 lets say, introduce fae. I seen pins in a few days on my friends buddys casing everytime.

--------------------

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
    #10295627 - 05/06/09 07:22 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

temp drop is not a pinning trigger, its not required. dropping the temp to 68F would slow things down.

You can fruit at the same temps as incubation, you can fruit higher. They arnt picky.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

InvisibleRICE ROCKETZ
BELLA CHUCHA
Female User Gallery

Re: Very small tek... [Re: veda_sticks]
    #10297897 - 05/06/09 04:37 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

veda_sticks said:
temp drop is not a pinning trigger, its not required. dropping the temp to 68F would slow things down.

You can fruit at the same temps as incubation, you can fruit higher. They arnt picky.

Different strains are picky, some you have to drop the temp a lil then raise back up to fruiting temps, not refrigirate them like alot do but thats how I've seen things happen. I noticed a temp drop speeds things along, thats my opinion.

--------------------

Edited by RICE ROCKETZ (05/06/09 04:51 PM)

Offlineshroombab
Visionary
Female User Gallery

#10300295 - 05/07/09 12:07 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for the responses but Im still in the dark.

It stopped colonizing and started pinning even though I didn't put it into fruiting conditions. Should I wait longer (its day 12 now), or should I just put into fruiting conditions?

more pins are coming....they are all popping through. I have two or three babies that are 1.5 inches ish, and a whole bunch of little pins.

I never planned to case, because I dont want to risk it going wrong. I'll try that next time.

its mazatapec cubes.

Invisibleshroomiin
unprofound

Loc: Zone 6 Flag
    #10300810 - 05/07/09 04:51 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

well at this point man its too late youve already got fruit its not going to start colonizing again. i would break it up after your first flush and try to spawn it to something and case. i dont know how effective it will be but thats whati would do.

InvisibleRICE ROCKETZ
BELLA CHUCHA
Female User Gallery

#10312681 - 05/09/09 12:29 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

How many cakes are pinning and what FC are you using? If I was you just start a casing with the other cakes, just use verm for ya 1st time(casing for dummies look it up). My dude skipped the cakes all together back when he started. People say casings hard, its actualy very simple and you can be all ghetto and just cover the casing with a a big bottom piece of a ziplock bag tent or something. After you start on verm, you can start playing with mixtures.

--------------------

InvisibleRICE ROCKETZ
BELLA CHUCHA
Female User Gallery

#10312685 - 05/09/09 12:32 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

shroombab said:
Thanks for the responses but Im still in the dark.

It stopped colonizing and started pinning even though I didn't put it into fruiting conditions. Should I wait longer (its day 12 now), or should I just put into fruiting conditions?

more pins are coming....they are all popping through. I have two or three babies that are 1.5 inches ish, and a whole bunch of little pins.

I never planned to case, because I dont want to risk it going wrong. I'll try that next time.

its mazatapec cubes.

Oh and asides what someone said Maz is a tricky pinner, alotta times you gotta drop the temp.

--------------------

Offlineshroombab
Visionary
Female User Gallery

#10313079 - 05/09/09 02:20 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I'm not using cakes. Its rye grain in a monotub. All the info is here in this thread, including the ratios that I used for my substrate.

Well now I've got two big mushrooms growing. and about five-eight smaller ones, and from what I can see, a lot of primordia that may or may not be aborted due to my janky technique.

I had the holes taped up and the lid on until this morning, I'd just been fanning everyday, but not misting cause I could see a lot of moisture on the surface of the substrate. Now I've let that evap off, misted and changed the lid to cling wrap, poked holes in it, and opening up my side holes and filled with polyfill, and turned a light on. (before I was just using ambient light from the windows and some are growing down.)

Now, my only fear is that the substrate does not look completely colonized, it looks very furry on top. It smells as it should, and from my inspections, I really can't tell if I have cobbweb. The areas that look like they could be cobbweb, haven't spread, and some have got pins. I guess only time will tell. Either way, I will pick these soon as I see the veils tearing already on the bigger ones.

thanks for the responses.

Edited by shroombab (05/12/09 02:40 AM)

InvisibleRICE ROCKETZ
BELLA CHUCHA
Female User Gallery

#10313158 - 05/09/09 02:39 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Better luck on your next flush, check your perameters, I think Maz aborts alot on 1st flush, alotta strains do. Try using Mad seasons bags, after they get 30% percent colonized shake em, then put the bag into a square tight box that will hold the sub together. Some reason theyre bags dont colonize all loose and stuff. After its colonized break it up and case it. Mad Season Bag=$12.00 Spores(SPOREWORKS recommended)=$18.00 try using EQ's they're potent and very easy to pinn, find a pan or tubberware container or go to the dollarstore. Follow casing tek for dummies and watch you'll get some great flushes, plenty of pinns.

--------------------

Offlineshroombab
Visionary
Female User Gallery

#10317205 - 05/10/09 01:36 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

So here is what it looks like now. The veils have torn on the larger ones, and the smaller ones aere still growing steadily. Im going to wait just to determine the strain. It looks more like mazzies now, but hard to tell and the vender of the spores isn't reliable.

So, given that the sub looks like it does, do you think crumbling would be the best option? or just carefully dunking and draining without breaking it up?

I tried to pull the one growing down out and it snapped, and was totally dark blue in the middle. From what I've read this is a good sign. It's about what I usually eat, so Im gonna test it once its dry.

Part of the stalk is exposed in the substrate. Is that bad?

p.s. I know it looks a weird colour at the bottom but the pic is deceiving, the myc looks pretty healthy all over at the moment.

Edited by shroombab (05/10/09 01:42 PM)

Offlineshroombab
Visionary
Female User Gallery

#10324337 - 05/11/09 09:13 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Here's how they are a day later:

Still researching on harvesting times, and what the best thing to do with my 75% colonized sub in between this flush and the next.

Offlinefungusapien
Nomad
Male

Loc: PNW Flag
    #10324462 - 05/11/09 09:34 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

That looks pretty close to full colonization. When using coir it doesn't always develop that completely white surface like some subs. Dunking it carefully isn't a bad idea, as casing layers are not absolutely necessary.
As far as the cobweb situation, you will know if it's cobweb. It will look a bit like that polyfil you have stuffed in those holes. Also, it spreads super fast.

my shitty experience with cobweb on colonizing coir

--------------------
"It achieved symbiosis with human society early by associating itself with domesticated cattle." - T. McKenna

take a vacation, leave yourself behind...

**All posts are for research purposes only, and all content of said posts is hypothetical and entirely fictional.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds