Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
Founders of the Pirate Bay sentenced to a year in jail for breaking copyright laws
    #10183212 - 04/17/09 07:22 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/5170170/Pirate-Bay-four-jailed-for-breaking-copyright-in-Swedish-file-sharing-trial.html

Experts believe the ruling could be the first step towards ending illegal downloading, which has cost music and film companies billions of dollars in lost revenue.

Founders Peter Sunde and Gottfrid Svartholm Warg, along with two other employees Fredrik Neij and Carl Lundström, were sentenced to a year in jail after being found guilty in a Swedish court of making 33 copyright-protected files accessible for illegal downloading on the website Piratebay.org.

The four were also ordered to pay $3.6 m (£2.4m) in damages to copyright holders, including Warner Brothers, MGM, Columbia Pictures, 20th Century Fox Films, Sony and Universal, according to Swedish media reports.

In a Twitter posting before sentencing, Mr Sunde said: "Nothing will happen to TPB [the Pirate Bay], this is just theatre for the media."

The Pirate Bay provides a forum for its estimated 22 million users to download content. The site has become the entertainment industry's enemy No. 1 after successful court actions against file-swapping sites such as Grokster and Kazaa.

Defence lawyers had argued the men should be acquitted because The Pirate Bay does not host any copyright-protected material. Instead, it provides a forum for its users to download content through so-called torrent files. The technology allows users to transfer parts of a large file from several different users, increasing download speeds.

But the court found the defendants guilty of helping users commit copyright violations "by providing a website with ... sophisticated search functions, simple download and storage capabilities, and through the tracker linked to the website".

Judge Tomas Norstrom told reporters that the court took into account that the site was "commercially driven" when it made the ruling. The defendants have denied any commercial motives behind the site.

John Kennedy, the head of the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry, said the verdict was "good news for everyone, in Sweden and internationally, who is making a living or a business from creative activity and who needs to know their rights will be protected by law."

Supporters set up a website dedicated to the trial, and the defendants sent updates from the court hearings through social network Twitter.

Forrester Research analyst Mark Mulligan said: “The music industry has come out of this with a ruling that is more positive for them than many had been expected." But he warned that the epidemic of file sharing will continue to grow via instant messaging, email and blogs, as well as file sharing websites.

He said the verdict could have implications for Google, as it provides links to illegal content.

Dawn Osborne, copyright lawyer at intellectual property firm Rouse, said: “Pirate Bay have been thumbing their nose at the establishment for too long and the view of many content owners will be that they have finally got what they deserved.

“Copyright protection is crucial to ensuring that creativity and innovation continue and much needed economic prosperity returns. The case shows that breach of these rights potentially has very serious consequences.”

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineiateshaggy
i haxor 360s
Male User Gallery

Loc: 612 Warf Avenue, next to....
Re: Founders of the Pirate Bay sentenced to a year in jail for breaking copyright laws [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #10183225 - 04/17/09 07:28 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

yet the bay lives on.

--------------------
You are a filipina sex goddess who wants to fuck me until I fall asleep, so then you can tickle my balls and see if the legend of my diamond filled nutsuck is true.  I am a white man from costa rica, who smells like lime jello.

I can flash/jtag/repair 360's, pm for details.

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
Re: Founders of the Pirate Bay sentenced to a year in jail for breaking copyright laws [Re: iateshaggy]
    #10183339 - 04/17/09 08:22 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I really wish I understood their law better so i could have a legitimate opinion of this.

I will say though that the whole case seemed to reek of the state pursuing actions that weren't illegal simply because they were unpopular.  The democratic will to clearly outlaw what these folks were doing wasn't there and yet rather than recognize that due process and fairness requires shit to be against the law before people are held to account for the law- the state went ahead anyways trying to shoehorn what they clearly thought should be illegal into what was a questionable set of existing law.

Anyone read the language and can dig up the actual statutes they violated?  I wouldn't even no where to begin if I had a translater.

I just want to read what the law says. 

Anybody whos not so ignorant on the issue should feel free to school me on this- I just know what I've heard about their court rulings in the past and the supposed differences in their law on torrents and the US's.

OfflineWindmiller
Stranger

Re: Founders of the Pirate Bay sentenced to a year in jail for breaking copyright laws [Re: johnm214]
    #10183434 - 04/17/09 08:53 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

ive kind of been following this but i didnt read the article. i think tpb is still up b/c they hid the servers, how u do that, i dont know.

i think that our copyright laws are bad anyway, if someone creates a file that can be copied x a million without physical manifestation, why should they be reimbursed for that? intellectual property is BS

OfflineRombaZomba
Stranger

Re: Founders of the Pirate Bay sentenced to a year in jail for breaking copyright laws [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #10183990 - 04/17/09 11:16 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

OfflineHydroCan
Coprinus Comatus
Male

Re: Founders of the Pirate Bay sentenced to a year in jail for breaking copyright laws [Re: RombaZomba]
    #10184044 - 04/17/09 11:27 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

“Assisting in making copyright content available”.
Peter Sunde: Guilty. Fredrik Neij: Guilty. Gottfrid Svartholm: Guilty. Carl Lundström: Guilty.

The four receive 1 year in jail each and fines totaling $3,620,000.

I can’t believe that would happen. They didn’t do anything illegal.

What the hell kind of law is “Assisting in making copyright content available”.  That means yahoo, google, Microsoft live search, all their dev teams and management should be put in jail… because search engines aid in “Assisting in making copyright content available”.  What a joke, what a corrupt system, I wonder how much the judge was pressured.

--------------------
Come check out Toronto Best Graffiti's

www.youtube.com/thegongshows

Subscribe !

OfflineWindmiller
Stranger

Re: Founders of the Pirate Bay sentenced to a year in jail for breaking copyright laws [Re: HydroCan]
    #10184117 - 04/17/09 11:41 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

there is no such thing as a fair trial

OfflineRuNE
bomberman

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: tartarus
Re: Founders of the Pirate Bay sentenced to a year in jail for breaking copyright laws [Re: Windmiller]
    #10187248 - 04/17/09 09:24 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Mr Sunde said: "Nothing will happen to TPB [the Pirate Bay], this is just theatre for the media."

My hero.

--------------------
~Happy sailing~

Offlinesupra
computerEnthusiast
Loc: TEXAS
Re: Founders of the Pirate Bay sentenced to a year in jail for breaking copyright laws [Re: johnm214]
    #10187332 - 04/17/09 09:46 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

johnm214 said:
I really wish I understood their law better so i could have a legitimate opinion of this.

I will say though that the whole case seemed to reek of the state pursuing actions that weren't illegal simply because they were unpopular.  The democratic will to clearly outlaw what these folks were doing wasn't there and yet rather than recognize that due process and fairness requires shit to be against the law before people are held to account for the law- the state went ahead anyways trying to shoehorn what they clearly thought should be illegal into what was a questionable set of existing law.

Anyone read the language and can dig up the actual statutes they violated?  I wouldn't even no where to begin if I had a translater.

I just want to read what the law says. 

Anybody whos not so ignorant on the issue should feel free to school me on this- I just know what I've heard about their court rulings in the past and the supposed differences in their law on torrents and the US's.

I don't know much about it either, but was under the impression that the torrents themselves are not illegal, since they are not copyrighted material.  TPB actually contains no copyrighted materials, just files that point to a swarm that people can join in and share the actual copyrighted media with each other...

peace

Offlinedieselkush
Stranger

Re: Founders of the Pirate Bay sentenced to a year in jail for breaking copyright laws [Re: supra]
    #10192297 - 04/18/09 09:18 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

maybe im wrong but didnt this happen a long while ago when tpb got raided? Im pretty sure they had won this case in court. I know isohunt is going through the same thing and are close to wining. but tpb has had so many court and legal issues its hard to follow.

OfflineCoughing_Anon
Ninja

Re: Founders of the Pirate Bay sentenced to a year in jail for breaking copyright laws [Re: dieselkush]
    #10265440 - 04/30/09 08:38 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Poor guys...  :frown:

Invisibleeligal
Noobie

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: California
Re: Founders of the Pirate Bay sentenced to a year in jail for breaking copyright laws [Re: Windmiller]
    #10275489 - 05/02/09 09:47 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Windmiller said:
there is no such thing as a fair trial

--------------------
\m/ Spanksta \m/

"do you have the freedom to do with your nervous system what you want?"

"MolokoMilkPlus said:
I'll respect you if you let me give you a blow job"

"tactik said:
respect the can."

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom