Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   OlympusMyco.com CVG Mushroom Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineIcAnFeeLthErain
How ya like your Chang's Sauce?
Male

Loc: Bright Side of the Road
Worm Castings
    #10178179 - 04/16/09 02:19 PM (15 years, 3 days ago)

Does anyone here make their own worm castings?  I was considering using them in my casing mix, or substrate perhaps.  Where are worm castings most beneficial?  Do they need be pasteurized?

--------------------
"We are here to awaken from the illusion of our separateness" -Thich Nhat Hanh

Take your sweet time, everything is a once in a life time experience.

Cakes?  No Thanks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineshroomer17
Stranger
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
Re: Worm Castings [Re: IcAnFeeLthErain]
    #10178268 - 04/16/09 02:32 PM (15 years, 3 days ago)

I've seen guides on making your own woemcastings. Iirc, I think you out a bunch of soil, shredded newspapers and earthworms in a bin with some holes for oxygen and just leave it for a month or so. You should be able to find a guide on a gardening or pot growing website.
Castings are great in soil for plants and as a starter for compost tea for your plants. You can use them at about 10% by volume in your mushroom substrates too, but yes they need to be pasteurised

OfflineBugzy
Magician
Male User Gallery

Re: Worm Castings [Re: shroomer17]
    #10178307 - 04/16/09 02:36 PM (15 years, 3 days ago)

You can get castings for like $12-13bks for a 30lb bag

--------------------
American by Nature....  unamerican by Law :mafioso:

"Out of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."

OfflineFender
Stranger

Re: Worm Castings [Re: Bugzy]
    #10178559 - 04/16/09 03:16 PM (15 years, 3 days ago)

Worm Castings work well.  But they can be a little expensive.  In my experience, home made compost works the best. That is if you have the room and patience to make it.  Straw or leached manure are my favorite, cheap, and easy bulk substrates for dung loving fungi. 

And I would not recommend worm castings for a casing.  I know a lot of people use a nutrient rich casing, but I am old school and believe that the casing should be void of nutrients.  50/50 plus is all I use, and have never been let down by the results.

And yes worm castings need to be pasteurized at 160-170 degrees Fahrenheit for 2 hours is perfect.

Offlinedekanem
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Worm Castings [Re: Bugzy]
    #10178688 - 04/16/09 03:44 PM (15 years, 3 days ago)

Hehe - funny thing finding this - I am taking a break from harvesting castings :smile:

My cat and his girlfriend can really tell a difference visually when including worm shit in a substrate.  It's fairly easy and there's many other reasons and benefits from vermicomposting so I would highly recommend it.  There are a ton of great resources on the net as well.

That being said, it's taken me several months to get the swing of things, and just like growing mushrooms (so I hear) there's a lot of places to screw up.  I just took some pictures after reading this post:

Eating and shitting..

Harvested goodness

Make sure you get the right worms - you wont find them big digging with a shovel..

If people are interested, I could write a little tek or something on my experiences including some tips specifically suited to growing shrooms.  Worms are exposed upstairs though and cats were helping earlier so I have to cut this off here.

In short, yes :smile:

InvisibleBrainiac
Rogue Scientist
Male

Loc: 與您的女朋 Flag
Re: Worm Castings [Re: dekanem]
    #10178701 - 04/16/09 03:46 PM (15 years, 3 days ago)

Cool link with alot of info

http://www.redwormcomposting.com/

--------------------
:Awesketch:

:cool: Fair is Fair :devil:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   OlympusMyco.com CVG Mushroom Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck