Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineprotestsong
City Fox
Female User Gallery

Loc: north of the 49th
WBS jars 17 days in, only 1 jar showing signs of growth. *PICS*
    #10175765 - 04/16/09 01:21 AM (15 years, 4 days ago)

this is my first ever grow, and i probably should have gone with the PF tek, but i wanted a large yield in time for summer, so i went straight into grains.

17 days ago i inoculated 5 half quart (500mL) WBS jars wish a spore syringe i got from a non-sponsor.

the jars have been incubating in a cardboard box wrapped in a black garbage bag on the highest shelf in my kitchen, with no other source of heat. it is officially spring here, but there are still bits of snow outside. today's high was only 17 degrees Celsius.

i don't have a thermometer so i have no idea what the temp is inside my apartment, and unfortunately, i don't control the heat in here, the building manager does, and it's already been turned off for the summer.

so far only one jar is showing sings of growth. at least, i'm 99% sure that this is mycelium, and not a contam:

so i'm wondering if it's worth keeping these jars and seeing if any more myc shows up, or if i should start over using the PF tek.

is it too late for the other jars showing no growth? will the spores have died because it's too cold? or have they just stalled?

it's obvious i'm going to have to set up some sort of heat source. i hear the TiT works wonders, but since i'm very low on space, and funds, i was wondering if i could use something like an electric blanket, or a hot water bottle you use when you're sick, and stick that in the plastic bag and moniter the temp.

either way i'll definitely be investing in a thermometer so i can stop guessing.

any thoughts or words of encouragement would be fan-fucking-tastic!

thanks guys

--------------------
"Everything you can imagine is real." - Pablo Picasso

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one" - Albert Einstein     

"He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it." - Douglas Adams

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye." - Miss Piggy

Edited by protestsong (04/17/09 02:34 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCaptainCrunch
Contrary ToPopular Belief

Loc: Somwhere Over the rainbow
Re: WBS jars 17 days in, only 1 jar showing signs of growth. *PICS* [Re: protestsong]
    #10175801 - 04/16/09 01:31 AM (15 years, 4 days ago)

dude,, one word TIT grain should already be done colonizing by 17 days, last wbs i did took 10 days to fully colonize at a temp of 81 degrees Fahrenheit. you need to get the jars into an incubator period.

Offlineprotestsong
City Fox
Female User Gallery

Re: WBS jars 17 days in, only 1 jar showing signs of growth. *PICS* [Re: CaptainCrunch]
    #10176207 - 04/16/09 05:23 AM (15 years, 3 days ago)

thanks... i figured as much.

so i shall be building a TiT asap. is it too late to salvage my WBS jars? remember only one of the 5 jars i inoculated have any visible myc. is there any point in putting them in my TiT, or should i just start over?

also, the area i live in goes through extreme fluctuations in temperature, (hint: it's the geographical center of Canada, and we're in the middle of the 2nd worse flood in 100 years. serves us right for building a city in the middle of a flood plain!)

the winters are fucking cold, but the summer months can be brutally hot, so in the near future i may need to cool down my TiT instead of heating it up. (i don't have a/c in my apartment.) would putting ice in the water instead of the fish tank heater have the desired effect?

thanks again

--------------------

"He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it." - Douglas Adams

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye." - Miss Piggy

OfflineDeadDog
MingeTeasingBastard
Male User Gallery

Loc: La Chorrerra
Re: WBS jars 17 days in, only 1 jar showing signs of growth. *PICS* [Re: protestsong]
    #10176227 - 04/16/09 05:39 AM (15 years, 3 days ago)

i would have said the opposite, keeping them in a box in a black bin bag will be suffocating them. if you need to heat them use a space heater in the room they are in , incubators IME cause more problems than they solve.

edit:

taken 7 days after inoculation, shaken once, and stored next to my tv between 18-25C

--------------------
"You are the human equivalent of Bacterial Vaginosis, die now, thanks."

Edited by DeadDog (04/16/09 05:44 AM)

Offlineprotestsong
City Fox
Female User Gallery

Re: WBS jars 17 days in, only 1 jar showing signs of growth. *PICS* [Re: DeadDog]
    #10176247 - 04/16/09 05:49 AM (15 years, 3 days ago)

thanks dog.

i did a lot of reading about this earlier on when i was entertaining the thought of growing, but of course i didn't manage to retain much of that info!

i put the box with the jars in it inside the plastic bag because that's what they did in that "magic mushroom growing made easy" video on youtube. and because the flaps of the box don't meet in the center, leaving about 2 inches open where light can get in.

i could actually borrow a space heater like tomorrow, if i wanted to. i'd much rather go that route then bother with a TiT if it is indeed more trouble than it's worth. what would you suggest i incubate my jars in if my current set up is too suffocating?

a rubbermaid-type tupperware? or should i just take the box out the bag and store it in a dark closet along with the space heater? (carefully monitored of course.)

thanks again

edit: alas, i don't own a tv, but that's a great idea!

--------------------

Edited by protestsong (04/16/09 05:53 AM)

InvisibleGanja420Boy
Heroic Doser
 User Gallery

Loc: CoSmoS
    #10176261 - 04/16/09 05:59 AM (15 years, 3 days ago)

Since you had them incubating in a cardboard box wrapped in a garbage bag I would say they are contaminated with bacteria, also buying from a non shroomery vendor didn't help any.

Being 17 days in I would chuck them and start over and next time don't incubate just leave them on a shelf or something and at a temp around 70 - 78 degrees.

OfflineDeadDog
MingeTeasingBastard
Male User Gallery

Re: WBS jars 17 days in, only 1 jar showing signs of growth. *PICS* [Re: Ganja420Boy]
    #10176445 - 04/16/09 08:04 AM (15 years, 3 days ago)

i let my jars get plenty of air and light, if you just sit them on a shelf or table in a small room, then run the space heater just enough to keep the room a nice ambient temp, so your comfortable wearing a t shirt in that room without feeling at all like you want to put a jumper on. thats how i gauge w/o looking at thermometer, if im chilly then its too cold for my mycaelium.

--------------------

Offlineprotestsong
City Fox
Female User Gallery

#10179348 - 04/16/09 05:23 PM (15 years, 3 days ago)

thanks so much guys. thanks for your patience with a total newbie, and yay! no one ripped my head off!

i guess i'll be starting over with WBS since i have all the supplies already, though in hindsight, i would have gone with the good 'ole PF tek!

two more questions:

is it worth keeping that one jar that started showing growth, or is just a contam risk to the other jars? could i keep it in a separate area and see what happens?

and what's the best covering for WBS jars? currently i'm using micropore tape... that's it. i took the tinfoil off a couple days after inoculation.

i have no idea where to find tyvek in canada, since i don't think we can get it for free at the post office! what is it exactly? paper-y or plastic-y?

should i be punching a bigger hole in the lids (apart from the inoculation ports,) and stuffing it with polyfil and then wrapping in tinfoil?

thanks a million times over!

--------------------

Edited by protestsong (04/16/09 05:27 PM)

OfflineDeadDog
MingeTeasingBastard
Male User Gallery

#10179562 - 04/16/09 06:00 PM (15 years, 3 days ago)

i use two 8mm holes drilled in lids, stuff the holes with stuffing taken from my nieces toys ( i just refill them with whatever i can grab, ya know, rusty nails, broken glass, anthrax ) , polycotten or polyfill its called. i cover that with a coffee filter just to act as a dust cover.

id hang onto that other jar, i wouldnt see it as a contam risk to other jars.

and i reckon u are better off with grains, the only thing that stopped me from starting with them was the lack of a pressure cooker. cakes still have their place, im about to birth some PE6 cakes that will be fruited to select clone candidates.

--------------------

Offlineprotestsong
City Fox
Female User Gallery

Re: WBS jars 17 days in, only 1 jar showing signs of growth. *PICS* [Re: DeadDog]
    #10179762 - 04/16/09 06:42 PM (15 years, 3 days ago)

haha, right on.

alright, time for take two!

thankyou thankyou thankyou! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

--------------------

Offlinewasting_space
....JerkO'lantern....

Loc: halloweentown
    #10179810 - 04/16/09 06:49 PM (15 years, 3 days ago)

If you are looking for tyvek go to usps.com you should be able to get a grip of envelopes mailed to you from them...  I am currently working with WBS right now and have noticed that the irregular surface area of the WBS seems to hold a little more water than with rye, thus resulting in in some stalling jars due to excessive moisture....  So maybe some of the your jars have alittle too much moisture inside of 'em eh?

--------------------

Offlineprotestsong
City Fox
Female User Gallery

#10179999 - 04/16/09 07:18 PM (15 years, 3 days ago)

that's possible... but from what i can tell there is no visible moisture in the jars. in fact i was worried i might have let the WBS dry too much!

any number of things could have contributed to my failure, so i guess we'll never know!

thanks for the tyvek tip, i'll look into it!

peace

--------------------

Offlinewasting_space
....JerkO'lantern....

Loc: halloweentown
    #10180386 - 04/16/09 08:11 PM (15 years, 3 days ago)

The basic way to tell if there is too much moisture in the jars is by shaking them...  If there is serious clumpage then the grains are probably too wet...  Its basically a learning process to determine how much clumpage in the grain jars is too much......  I am not the most knowledgable mycologist but I would suggest using quart jars next time and filling them 2/3s the way full with WBS so they can be shaken to determine moisture content....

--------------------

Offlineprotestsong
City Fox
Female User Gallery

Re: WBS jars 17 days in, only 1 jar showing signs of growth. *PICS* [Re: wasting_space]
    #10182633 - 04/17/09 02:33 AM (15 years, 3 days ago)

thanks for the info.

i had to buy half quart jars because my pressure cooker is really small and quart jars are too tall for it. (but hey i got it for free so i'm not complaining!)

to check for the correct moisture content, i used the spoon test, the hand test, and the paper towel test. no seeds stuck to the spoon or my hand, and there was no moisture left behind on the paper towel.

dog, i forgot to ask: do i need to poke separate holes in the lids for the spore syringe? or can i use the holes stuffed with polyfill as injection ports? if so, do i just insert the needle tip through the polyfill and squirt in the spore solution?

thanks again!

--------------------

Edited by protestsong (04/17/09 02:43 AM)

OfflineDeadDog
MingeTeasingBastard
Male User Gallery

#10182958 - 04/17/09 04:57 AM (15 years, 3 days ago)

just inoculate through the polyfill , dont worry about your hot needle damaging it too much, ive found damage from heat in pc and from the needle is minimal.

--------------------

Offlineprotestsong
City Fox
Female User Gallery

#10185359 - 04/17/09 03:06 PM (15 years, 2 days ago)

great! thanks for the umpteenth time! :grin:

--------------------

OfflineHeavenCanWait
Stranger
Re: WBS jars 17 days in, only 1 jar showing signs of growth. *PICS* [Re: wasting_space]
    #10186665 - 04/17/09 07:32 PM (15 years, 2 days ago)

Quote:

wasting_space said:
If you are looking for tyvek go to usps.com you should be able to get a grip of envelopes mailed to you from them.

Just tried this, signed up, they don't ship abroad (tried shipping some to the UK)

'The Postal Store is not accepting International orders at this time. '

Offlinekomsija
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #10187697 - 04/17/09 11:20 PM (15 years, 2 days ago)

This is my first Jars:)
After 4 days
Its not a pure white couler...is this couler normal in this period after 4 days...or is it just have to be pure,pure white????

Offlineprotestsong
City Fox
Female User Gallery

Re: WBS jars 17 days in, only 1 jar showing signs of growth. *PICS* [Re: komsija]
    #10188186 - 04/18/09 03:29 AM (15 years, 2 days ago)

yeah i didn't think they'd send a bunch of tyvek to another country, but it was worth a shot!

i found another jar showing a tiny bit of growth today!

so i'll hang on to those two jars and see if the mycelium keeps spreading.. but in the meantime i've got another batch of WBS soaking, and i'll go out and buy some polyfill tomorrow. hopefully i'll have better luck this time around!

cheers

--------------------

OfflineDeadDog
MingeTeasingBastard
Male User Gallery

Re: WBS jars 17 days in, only 1 jar showing signs of growth. *PICS* [Re: komsija]
    #10190376 - 04/18/09 02:26 PM (15 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

komsija said:

This is my first Jars:)
After 4 days
Its not a pure white couler...is this couler normal in this period after 4 days...or is it just have to be pure,pure white????

im not 100% but that looks a little like cobweb mold.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates