Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleveggieM

Dutch court upholds 'magic mushroom' ban
    #10164343 - 04/14/09 02:06 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Dutch court upholds 'magic mushroom' ban
April 14, 2009 - AFP

THE HAGUE (AFP) — Dutch "magic mushroom" vendors lost a court appeal Tuesday against a December 1 government ban on the hallucinogenic recreational fungi.

"The magic mushroom ban is not unjust," the Appeals Court in The Hague said, dismissing a challenge by the owners of the so-called "smart shops" that sold the drug.

"The effect of the ruling is that the magic mushroom ban, effective from December 1, 2008, remains in place."

The ban was introduced by Health Minister Ab Klink, who believes consumption of the fungi "can lead to unpredictable and risky behaviour".

It followed the death in 2007 of a French teenager who had taken mushrooms before jumping to her death from an Amsterdam bridge, reigniting a national debate over tolerance of the substance.

The ban, approved by lawmakers, forbids the cultivation and sale of 186 species of "shrooms" or "paddos", which also grow naturally in the wild.

The dried variety has been illegal in the country for several years.

"We are deeply disappointed," Paul van Oyen, a spokesman for the magic mushroom vendors' association VLOS, told AFP. "The court is allowing the minister to get away with lies."

VLOS maintains there is no proof that magic mushrooms are dangerous and is demanding compensation for the loss of income.

Before the ban, there had been six magic mushroom growers in the Netherlands, 180 smart shops, and a few hundred employees in an industry with an annual turnover of 15-20 million euros (20-26.5 million euros), according to the VLOS.

Authorities say about 90 percent of the 1.5 million to two million doses consumed in the Netherlands every year were bought by foreign tourists.

"We will not pursue this in the courts," said Van Oyen. "It is too expensive. We will retire to lick our wounds."

The magic mushroom ban is seen as part of a hardening stance on recreational drug use by the traditionally liberal Dutch, who have also been closing some cannabis-vending coffee shops.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedoom876
Stranger

Re: Dutch court upholds 'magic mushroom' ban [Re: veggie]
    #10164413 - 04/14/09 02:15 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

"We will not pursue this in the courts," said Van Oyen. "It is too expensive. We will retire to lick our wounds."

If they give up all together, that will be shit.

--------------------

Fight for a large loving government that can take care of its people, kill our criminals, and preform the huge industrial tasks our corporate overlords refuse(wanna greenwash me some more Exon?)

Not this weak travesty that let millions starve and sucks corporate cock while failing at every turn.

OfflineShroomerRoss
Male

Re: Dutch court upholds 'magic mushroom' ban [Re: doom876]
    #10164685 - 04/14/09 02:56 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

yeah big disapointment:confused:

OfflineWaking_Eyes
Stranger
Re: Dutch court upholds 'magic mushroom' ban [Re: ShroomerRoss]
    #10164909 - 04/14/09 03:30 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Doesn't alcohol lead to risky and unpredictable behavior?

Invisiblemr.bixby
Routine waxes cold
Male

Loc: The West is the Best
Re: Dutch court upholds 'magic mushroom' ban [Re: Waking_Eyes]
    #10164959 - 04/14/09 03:37 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Where in the world can I buy grown mushrooms of this variety (think?research?) now?  Can the United Nations and every other government worldwide make this naturally occuring mushroom outlawed?:sherlock:

OfflineBeanhead
IS IRONIC PARADOX
 User Gallery

Loc: Geospatial inversion.
Re: Dutch court upholds 'magic mushroom' ban [Re: mr.bixby]
    #10165032 - 04/14/09 03:48 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Edited by Beanhead (06/29/15 11:09 AM)

OfflineT-Rex
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: NY
Re: Dutch court upholds 'magic mushroom' ban [Re: Beanhead]
    #10165089 - 04/14/09 03:56 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Well amsterdam is never gonna be the same

Offlineneopet nub
Stranger

Re: Dutch court upholds 'magic mushroom' ban [Re: T-Rex]
    #10165267 - 04/14/09 04:24 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Florida is cheaper anyways

--------------------
Ego death from weed!

Offlinepsychedelia56
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Dutch court upholds 'magic mushroom' ban [Re: T-Rex]
    #10165282 - 04/14/09 04:26 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Well, I do support the dutch in banning public sales of magic mushrooms. Quite honestly, magic mushrooms are so easy to grow that they should only be allowed to be consumed if they're grown in the safety of your own home. The reason I believe that is because mushrooms are not for everyone - I agree that they are a very beneficial substance, however the right substance with the wrong person can lead to "risky and unpredictable" behaviour. Alcohol is more tolerated due to its social acceptance, however mushrooms are an entirely different ball game. We are now talking about mind-expanding drugs, not dumbing ones like alcohol.

Just think about it. Alcohol is the kind of drug any person can do and expect to get the same feel/experience from it. Mushrooms on the other hand are quite unpredictable. For the most part I myself can expect to have a good time on zoomers, as I always do, but even then that doesn't always happen. I had my first "bad trip" the other day, which really surprised me. Although I considered it a good trip regardless, it can still happen. Now, fortunately I am quite mentally capable and I was able to keep myself together and still learn from it at the same time. But with the way people are these days, I wouldn't want the sacred mushroom to be in the hands of punks or people who don't know what they're getting themselves into.

Honestly, society is not ready to handle the amazing amount of knowledge mushrooms are going to bring. It's just not the right time. I would have hoped that they would have allowed you to grow magic mushrooms on your own for non-profit reasons, but it doesn't seem so. On that part I disagree, but removing them from the public I feel is a good decision.

--------------------
[quote]Shad0w said:
A Bong is like the "fukit" of getting high...... You are smoking out of a bong for one reason. And one reason only. To get super high out of your mind.[/quote]

Invisiblemr.bixby
Routine waxes cold
Male

Re: Dutch court upholds 'magic mushroom' ban [Re: neopet nub]
    #10165288 - 04/14/09 04:27 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

neopet nub said:

But still, I'd rather buy it from a vendor than picking it in a wild area.  Though even that could be fun, but I'd finally have to research about finding wild shrooms.

Invisibleshroomzey
Humble Student
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10165739 - 04/14/09 05:30 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

The ban will only makes things worse.  People who want to trip will still continue to trip, its just that now rather than purchasing through a coffee shop.. an established business and/or place that can inform its customers on the substance, people will be picking up from dealers.

Lets just push that back into the black market.

--------------------

200 years from now, we will look back and laugh at ourselves for how stupid we were.
My Glovebox
Find a respected member of the community and study them.  I give thanks to: RogerRabbit, agar, hyphae, Nibin, fahtster, The shroomy 1, monstermitch, FooMan, HippieChick, Blue Helix, eatyualive, mycofile, and many, many more.
Never accept mediocrity, always return the love that is given to you.

Offlineambc
mycominded
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: PNW
    #10165763 - 04/14/09 05:35 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

what will this do to the supply of prints to for microscopy?

--------------------

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site

Re: Dutch court upholds 'magic mushroom' ban [Re: ambc]
    #10165815 - 04/14/09 05:44 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

"can lead to unpredictable and risky behaviour".

alcohol or mushrooms? im always confused over what drug they are talking about here.

OfflineGroomies
Ghost
 User Gallery

Re: Dutch court upholds 'magic mushroom' ban [Re: psychedelia56]
    #10169140 - 04/15/09 01:29 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

How bout instead of making it illegal all together. just make it illegal to buy, sale or trade. meaning its free, which takes it out of the public market and black market and people who really want it can grown their own.

:vaped:

--------------------
:hotidea::hotidea::hotidea:

Invisiblemr.bixby
Routine waxes cold
Male

Re: Dutch court upholds 'magic mushroom' ban [Re: Groomies]
    #10171532 - 04/15/09 01:10 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Groomies said:
How bout instead of making it illegal all together. just make it illegal to buy, sale or trade. meaning its free, which takes it out of the public market and black market and people who really want it can grown their own.

:vaped:

Thats a good plan, it would be great to have a hobby like that without fear.  I'd give out shrooms for free to people that understood it and would take it responsibly.

Offlineneopet nub
Stranger

#10172225 - 04/15/09 03:22 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

mr.bixby said:
Quote:

neopet nub said:

But still, I'd rather buy it from a vendor than picking it in a wild area.  Though even that could be fun, but I'd finally have to research about finding wild shrooms.

Get the Stamets book about mushroom identification. And, even if you don't want to hunt, you can buy them for a couple dollars a gram.

--------------------
Ego death from weed!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale