Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineabshroomery
Stranger

Can i make a pf-style cake out of a Coir-bulk?
    #10162562 - 04/14/09 05:36 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Hi all
Finally it's time to fruit my first growing projects! Thanks for all your help, I would have failed miserably without it=) I have a monotub of coir-verm-coffee spawned with rye in fruiting conditions right now, and i have a little tupperware box filled with the same combination. The tupperware box is meant to be a gift to a friend. As you can see in the pic it's a little box, so I was wondering if it would be wise to birth the box like you would birth a jar in PF-tek. Or should I just leave the box and add some casing? I'll add a verm only casing. I know it's not optimal but I don't have time to pc everything.. verm is okay in the oven right? What do you guys think? Just let it sit with casing or birth the thing?

Thanks in advance

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: Can i make a pf-style cake out of a Coir-bulk? [Re: abshroomery]
    #10162569 - 04/14/09 05:43 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

That looks alittle odd, whats all the frosty stuff on the top??

you can leave it in the tray and fruit it uncased, casing is optional with bulk substrates and with coir it perferms well without a casing layer.

you could fruit it out of the tray as a cake, ive seen people do it before. upto you i guess

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

InvisibleFractalXplora
Grainiack
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #10162571 - 04/14/09 05:44 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

you could leave it as it is, add casing, mist it, then leave see through plastic bag over the top with a few air holes in for FAE. Should fruit oki.

--------------------

InvisibleFryinHard
Hamburgerler
I'm a teapot

Loc: McDonalds
Re: Can i make a pf-style cake out of a Coir-bulk? [Re: FractalXplora]
    #10162839 - 04/14/09 07:54 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Absolutely you can. once fully colonized, turn the container upside down (with lid on) and gently tap untill you feel the "coir cake" slide down to the lid.

then carefully open the lid and lift the container off the "coir cake", take some sort of rack with legs and press it up against the bottom and carefully flip it over with both hands.

one hand on the lid and the other on the bottom side of the rack pressed up against the bottom of the "coir cake". then place into you FC.

i find that you can do this with anything. straw, poo, coir.... think of the straw log concept. just find you own way to make it easy to remove your sub once colonized. maximize your fruits by utilizing top, sides, and bottoms. no need to worry about side pinning!!!!

Edited by FryinHard (04/14/09 08:12 AM)

Offlinerizingfire
Mycoticus psychoticus
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: North-east USm'f'nA
Re: Can i make a pf-style cake out of a Coir-bulk? [Re: FryinHard]
    #10162843 - 04/14/09 07:56 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

unless you put polyfil on top of your project you have cobweb pretty bad....H2o2 will take care of that though pretty quick...

--------------------
aka NHMI

InvisibleFryinHard
Hamburgerler
I'm a teapot

Loc: McDonalds
Re: Can i make a pf-style cake out of a Coir-bulk? [Re: rizingfire]
    #10162855 - 04/14/09 08:02 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

rizingfire... then just take out the polyfill before you flip it. i use micropore tape for gas exchange while colonizing coir. then there is no need to adjust anything.

Offlineabshroomery
Stranger

Re: Can i make a pf-style cake out of a Coir-bulk? [Re: FryinHard]
    #10169388 - 04/15/09 03:16 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks for al the answers! However I have already put a verm casing on it and it's colonizing atm, so I'll leave the cake experiment for next time=) thanks for the suggestions tho. And to answer the question about the white stuff on top, thats polyfill. I wrapped the box in two layers of foil with a large cutting in both layers with polyfill in between. I thought that would be the easiest way to allow gas exchange without perforation the lid of the box.

Greets!

OfflineDuggstarMDiscord
 User Gallery

Loc: Ireland
    #10169414 - 04/15/09 03:38 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

You don't need such a large hole for gas exchange.  All you need is a couple of tiny slits.  I wouldn't worry too much about contamination if you have pasteurized correctly.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck