Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinegulthor
Stranger
first time grower needs opinion
    #10158853 - 04/13/09 03:33 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Ya i am a first time grower and made a noob mistake.  I had my jars and substrate all steralized in the pressure cooker and was ready to inoculate when i discovered that the syringe was much larger than i anticipated. 

The syringe would not fit through the holes i made.  I now have bigger holes in the lids, but am wondering can i just change the lids and re-steralize in the PC or should i re-mix the substrate. 

The only thing i can think of that may be bad about re-steralizing is that my moisture of the substrate may go down.

What do you guys reccomend i do?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: first time grower needs opinion [Re: gulthor]
    #10158922 - 04/13/09 03:42 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

You could probably just make up a new lid, then in a glovebox take the old one off, clean the new one very well with alcohol and put it on your jar.

Another option would be to pressure cook your newly mad jar lid in foil, then in the glovebox do a swap.

Be sure to wear gloves, your sheding skin cells all the time.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

OfflineDeadDog
MingeTeasingBastard
Male User Gallery

Loc: La Chorrerra
Re: first time grower needs opinion [Re: veda_sticks]
    #10158976 - 04/13/09 03:50 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

if you get your pc up to temp,but not under pressure, then put lids with larger holes on jars and put them straight into your pc and tighten the lid and pressurize it as quickly as possible. if you do it like that there wont be enough time for moisture in sub to escape before pc gets up to pressure, which will hold the moisture where it is in ur sub. cook for 90mins, allow to cool naturally w/o removing lid.

you may also want to sit your jars in some rather hot water for a minute or two before putting in pc to make sure the glass doesnt break when u deposit in pc.

will take a bit longer but you will be gaurenteed 100% sterility.

--------------------
"You are the human equivalent of Bacterial Vaginosis, die now, thanks."

OfflineSapient
Mycology Student
Male

Loc: Africa
Re: first time grower needs opinion [Re: DeadDog]
    #10159429 - 04/13/09 04:45 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

If you are paranoid, replace the lids and resterilise, but simply changing the lids in a glovebox is not as dangerous as it sounds.

Assuming you will go with the first method anyway, pressure cooking again shouldnt dry out your grains too much.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags