Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAnastrophy
Stranger
 User Gallery
dont soak grain just bring to boil then pc?
    #10154959 - 04/12/09 10:20 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Rye grain isn't as easy as pf cakes

So my first batch I made 3 jars from grain I soaked for 24 hours, intended to make 5 jars but ran out of grain. I said shit, well I saw on here you can skip soaking, bring grain to a boil, simmer for a minute and then strain and pressure cook.

So the 3 jars that were soaked...all contamed

The 2 that used the unsoaked grain are going good.

1 jar was 80% colonized, I shook it, but the colony had clumped all the grain together. None stuck to the bottom or sides of jars. After shaking this jar all the grain loosened up. Figured ill let it colonize more then use this jar to do g2g transfers.

So I'm gonna make 10 more jars. I want to make sure I can skip soaking, seemed to work wonderfully.

Let me know for sure. Ill be spawning to coir/verm.coffee grounds and using dishwashing bins to fill with the sub, then put those on a layer of perlite in a bigger bin.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Trusted Cultivator
Re: dont soak grain just bring to boil then pc? [Re: Anastrophy]
    #10155034 - 04/12/09 10:35 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

If it works 4u do it, I stick to RRs rye tek cuz it works 4 me.  there are a bunch of ways to prep grains, the key is to do what suits you and you still get optimal results.

--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
Click here ^ for the AMU forum
VVV AMUs Free Active/Edible/Exotic Spore Print or Syringe or Edible Culture Trade Thread VVV
"Man is the sex organ of the machine world" ~  Marshall McLuhan

InvisiblefahtsterM
Now With 33%More Faht
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #10155036 - 04/12/09 10:35 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

you can skip it, especially if it works for ya. :wink:

OfflineAngryPhil
Herenow

#10155047 - 04/12/09 10:37 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

i've never worked with rye but in my experience WBS doesn't need to be soaked. the point of soaking is to germinate endospores so they become more vulnerable and can be more easily killed by PCing, but this seems to be a myth judging from most of what i've read about it. but if you tried not soaking and it worked better than soaking, then don't soak. most of the time your own experiences are the most reliable source you can learn from.

--------------------
The creation takes hand of the chisel...

Edited by AngryPhil (04/12/09 10:38 PM)

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: dont soak grain just bring to boil then pc? [Re: AngryPhil]
    #10155870 - 04/13/09 01:37 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Rye should be soaked for at least a few hours before boiling.  You want it to hydrate slowly to avoid burst kernels.  Getting the moisture slightly off will affect the speed of colonization, but doesn't cause it to get contaminated.  Contaminants are caused by mold or bacteria, thus either your sterilization was incomplete, your filters are bad, or your sterile procedure wasn't up to par. I'd suggest my grain tek.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags