Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineOttoGenerated
Stranger

Cell question. Pin question.
    #10150715 - 04/12/09 05:06 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

How many pins should the average PF cake get during it's first flush? I know it's entirely dependent on genetics, conditions, etc. I'm just asking for comparative purposes (to see how well I'm doing by comparison to the average).

Should I make a poll for this? I'm new and don't know if polls actually represent accurate information here. I really would love to see (slightly) more scientifically collected data on this board, just so we could gain a more accurate sense of what works and what doesn't more quickly, before jumping into time-consuming tests.

Also, watching the fruiting bodies of a fungus as they form is one of the most beautiful things you'll ever see. I'd love to understand the process on a cellular level. Does anyone have any links?

I'm also testing myself here, this is my guess as to how pins form:

Environmental changes trigger an increase or decrease in production of an enzyme (or coenzyme or whatever) which signals to the mycelium that it is time to divide. The cells divide, forming a ball of cells.

When the ball of cells reaches the limits of it's cellular replication, as signaled by environment and availability of organic materials and water, another chemical change occurs. This begins the specialization of the fruiting body's cells (this is when the color on the cap begins to appear, and the mushroom starts to take shape).

I think I might have part of that backwards. :smile:

I would love to see a chart of the life-cycle of a mushroom, does anyone have a good book they could recommend? I'd like to learn the names of all the processes, metabolic pathways, and chemicals involved in the life-cycle of a fungus.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: Cell question. Pin question. [Re: OttoGenerated]
    #10150738 - 04/12/09 05:34 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

You cant realy give an estimate number of pins, unless your growing from an isolate in controled conditions.

ginetics has a big factor, then comes fruiting conditions.

I dont think its an enzyme.

Once full colinisation is reached. Mycelium consolidates, eats food in preparation for fruiting. When conditions are right, knots form, pins grow (cell division) thne after the pin stage, cells are expanded with water trhough capilary action.

Pinning tigers are

Exaporation of moisture form the substrate
Fresh air exchange
High humidity at the surface of mycelium
Light

With multispore you can have such a veriety in results. Generaly, yo get the most mushrooms on the first flush, the each flush aftert will produce less but bigger mushrooms.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

OfflineOttoGenerated
Stranger

Re: Cell question. Pin question. [Re: veda_sticks]
    #10150752 - 04/12/09 05:45 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

All metabolic pathways are accompanied by an associated group of highly specific enzymes (and friends) which signal, initiate, control, etc. all biological processes.

Yes, it is an enzyme or group of enzymes.

You seem to be suggesting that specialization of primordial cells is concurrent with the process of knotting and pinning. That makes more sense.

But one must admit that it is amazing, almost unbelievable, that all of the specialized cells that exist in a mature mushroom existed at the completion of pin-formation. (shit's blowing my mind)

How does an average of 20 pins per half-pint cake sound based on your experiences? (a simple bad, acceptable, good, great would suffice). My guess: acceptable.

Edited by OttoGenerated (04/12/09 05:47 AM)

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
    #10150782 - 04/12/09 06:06 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

20 pins is pretty decent. I have seen more, and less. Ive seen cakes complelty covered in mushrooms.

A better judge of performance would be your flush weight. You could get a cake covered in pins, but your mushrooms will be smaller, or if you get less pins you may get bigger mushrooms.

weight is a better comparison. You can work out your substrates efficiency based on weight.

If you get 70 or more grams from 1 flush, thats pretty decent

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

OfflineApple core
Television Man

Re: Cell question. Pin question. [Re: veda_sticks]
    #10150879 - 04/12/09 07:26 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Psilocybe cubensis mushrooms are part of the phylum Basidiomycota:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basidiomycota

This has a general overview of its life cycle - there's far more specifics on the internet, but using this phyla will help you find more general info.

We did mycology as part of our microbiology lectures, so I learned quite a bit on it...

Really wanted to ask my prof about cubes specifically, but I thought
he'd wonder why I wanted to know! Just for research purposes of course... :tongue2:

Hope this helps a bit towards your quest for knowledge!

OfflineOttoGenerated
Stranger

Re: Cell question. Pin question. [Re: Apple core]
    #10152524 - 04/12/09 02:40 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Cool. Thank you both for the information. I love learning about this fungus. It's fascinating and beautiful.

OfflineOttoGenerated
Stranger

#10163216 - 04/14/09 10:10 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

How does 8 days in fruiting conditions, an average of 70 pins per cake (two have over 140!), and very little growth (pins are between 2 and 4 cm) sound for EQ?

Is there a problem? Most people seem to get their pins to fruition a little faster than this.

I won't be able to tend to my cakes for 3 days, seven days from now. I'm pretty sure the flush will be complete by then (right?). What should I do to keep the cakes happy while I'm gone?

I found something about using crumpled wax-paper to keep the microclimate correct. Will this work? Is there anything else I should do instead/in conjunction with this?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate