Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineNeuroticTrip
PrefrontalCortex

Autoclavable bags! Sterilizing substrate! G2bags.
    #10146924 - 04/11/09 09:52 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Okay, so I've got my grain jars colonizing, and I've put some autoclavable bags on order. I already have an impulse sealer, and intend on using it because the bags are cheap, and I just like the obsessive level of sterility. (Pasteurization may be an effective technique, but I just want easy results right now).

So I'm wondering how I would go about this. I COULD just fill the bags with grain which has been soaked etc. like the jars, then after sterilization, pull them out, mix in colonized grain, shake, impulse seal... then after colonization cut open, add a casing layer, and use the bag as a fruiting chamber.

OR... I've heard a benefit of autoclavable bags is using mixed substrates. So perhaps I could do a whacky coir/coffee/straw combo or something.

One last important question... Instead of inoculating the bags with grain, could I impulse seal before pressure cooking and use a SPORE SYRINGE to inoculate?

Looking forward to some good shiitake.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineneopet nub
Stranger

Re: Autoclavable bags! Sterilizing substrate! G2bags. [Re: NeuroticTrip]
    #10147143 - 04/11/09 10:56 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Don't use spores for coir, it won't work as well and would be purely luck if it did.

BTW, don't steralize your coir/coffee mix.  It will kill all of the beneficial bakkkteria

--------------------
Ego death from weed!

OfflineDuggstarMDiscord
 User Gallery

Loc: Ireland
    #10147969 - 04/11/09 01:32 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

It is very unlikely that you will be able to get the spores to germinate on coir, that is why we use grains in the first place.

You seem to have a misunderstanding about pasteurization and sterilization.  We pasteurize because it gets rid of the harmful contaminations but leaves behind beneficial micro-organisms which will actually help your mushrooms grow.  It is not a subordinate technique to sterilization.  The only reason that we sterilize grains is because grains are highly nutritious and very susceptible to contaminations which the mycelium could not compete with, so we need to inoculate them in absolutely sterile conditions.

Edited by Duggstar (04/11/09 01:33 PM)

OfflineDuggstarMDiscord
 User Gallery

Loc: Ireland
    #10147997 - 04/11/09 01:40 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

NeuroticTrip said:
One last important question... Instead of inoculating the bags with grain, could I impulse seal before pressure cooking and use a SPORE SYRINGE to inoculate?

Looking forward to some good shiitake.

I'm not very experienced with edibles, but I have heard that Shiitake rarely fruit from spores anyway.  What you need to do is get some culture from a proven fruiting strain and use that to inoculate.

OfflineNeuroticTrip
PrefrontalCortex

Re: Autoclavable bags! Sterilizing substrate! G2bags. [Re: Duggstar]
    #10148717 - 04/11/09 05:12 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks for the help guys. I'm thinking the answer to my question is to obviously use liquid culture with the autoclavable bags.

OfflineLaden
Oi81
Male User Gallery

Loc: somewhere in va
    #10148784 - 04/11/09 05:29 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Uline has some 4mil poly bags that work well also. I bought a bag of 1000 12x16 off of ebay, and havent even put a dent in em in 4 months of continuous use. there like 65 bucks but i got mine for $20 :smile: i dont impuse seal though. I just fold over the top and loosly tape, then pasturize, and after cool i mix my grain spawn and sub in 12qt kitty litter trays. Then, i cover with alum foil to colonize. works nicly!

--------------------
"I believe in a long, prolonged derangement of the senses to attain the unknown. Our pale reasoning hides the infinite from us."
jim:mushroom2::crazy::mushroom2:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds