Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleDisco Cat
iS A PoiNdexteR

Questions about registering some domain names.
    #10146413 - 04/11/09 03:18 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

There are a few domain names that I'd like to register and hold on to, but not host a site at for possibly a while still. I don't know how any of this works, and I have these questions:

Does it matter who I register the domains with? Meaning, when the time comes that I'd like to develop and host sites at those addresses, can I move them to a site hosting provider, say maybe Bluehost?

Can I host a site from home (with no additional cost to the domain registration?), having full and independent control over where the address looks for the data to load as the webpage?

How can I go about anonymizing contact info, so that no personal information appears in a whois search?

Who would you recommend that I register the domains through?

Thanks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDisco Cat
iS A PoiNdexteR

Re: Questions about registering some domain names. [Re: Disco Cat]
    #10149712 - 04/11/09 10:07 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Halp.

I saw that Dreamhost is having some deal - which says that it ends today, but I think it's actually a perpetual thing for first timers. Gives you 1 year of domain hosting + registration for $9.24 - 92% off regular pricing for a year. Could I swap domain hosts from them within the year if I wanted to? Just not sure how this all works.

Invisibletak
geo's henchman
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: nowhereland
Re: Questions about registering some domain names. [Re: Disco Cat]
    #10150243 - 04/12/09 12:57 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

You are pretty much on the money if you use a standard registrar. I personally have used namecheap.com and the whois return will show either a specified name(can be fake) or straight denied.

Most domain registrars offer some sort of dns solution, some better than others. There are a number of web based dns servers that you can admin for your domains without being tied to another service, without having to host dns on your local connection.
Some support dynamic dns so your domain will continue to forward to your ip once it changes.

--------------------
The DJ's took pills to stay awake and play for seven days.

InvisibleDisco Cat
iS A PoiNdexteR

Re: Questions about registering some domain names. [Re: tak]
    #10150827 - 04/12/09 06:41 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

namecheap.com actually looks very good. Concerning url forwarding, they say:

* Forward/redirect your domain name to any other URL/website on the web.
    * You can cloak the URL using the URL Frame feature.
    * URL forwards are ad-free.

and concerning whois protection, they say:

* For a limited time, we are providing WhoisGuard Protection with every new domain registration or transfer.

Transferring domains to and from them is also free.

I've been browsing hostingreviewsbyusers.com, and they seem to have a good review process, which weeds out affiliates and other disingenuous submissions. After doing some reading, Dreamhost sounds like a bunk deal. I think I'll likely register several domains with namecheap.com and host with lunarpages.com.

Also, right now, most everybody I've looked at is having an Easter sale, anywhere from 20% - 50% off for 1+ year packages, so I'm lucky in that regard.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom