Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Loc: clarity Flag
diet and spirituality
    #10133023 - 04/08/09 09:08 PM (15 years, 11 days ago)

thought I'd throw a thread out to see what people's thoughts are on this...

how much do you feel diet effects wellbeing... beyond the obvious physical wellbeing... but holistically/spiritually/etc

lately i've been eating very little and i've been feeling amazing... i think there's something special to calorie restriction mixed with trying to stay mindful... perhaps the energy saved from digestion....

i'm also a vegetarian... but i've been thinking about trying veganism... getting rid of dairy (seems to clog things)... maybe even do some sort of fresh food diet for a while

obviously physical health should remain a concern, getting the right nutrients and such... but does anyone have specific experiences with diet adjustments affecting mental/spiritual states?  :happyheart:

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNoteworthy
Sophyphile
 User Gallery

Re: diet and spirituality [Re: deff]
    #10133176 - 04/08/09 09:41 PM (15 years, 11 days ago)

I think you are what you eat.

You should be aware of how your choices effect what must die in order for you to live.

Life depends on death, because the building blocks of life are precious and do not spring forth out of nowhere under current earth conditions.

So to appreciate your life should also be to appreciate the death that supports it.

In order for this, you need to know what you are eating and take responsibility of your choices

--------------------

Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Re: diet and spirituality [Re: Noteworthy]
    #10133191 - 04/08/09 09:45 PM (15 years, 11 days ago)

I agree with that... even if one doesn't ascribe to karmic ideas... causing suffering out of ignorance is never a good thing. Being mindful of what you eat, like being mindful of anything, is a good thing.

I also think that trying to do away with routine eating might be beneficial. Eat when hungry, and eat what you feel your body requires. Don't eat out of excessive pleasure as that way of viewing food... and thus life by extension... is one of asleep awareness.

Ideally I'd also like to get into growing my own food when I get my own place... a nice garden to grow seasonal foods... also a nice relaxing hobby I would imagine. :smile:

--------------------

OfflineNoteworthy
Sophyphile
 User Gallery

#10133221 - 04/08/09 09:51 PM (15 years, 11 days ago)

I think the tastiest food is usually the healthiest. That is, once you grow out of your childhood sweet-tooth stage, and keep your fat intake to a reasonable level. So i think eating for taste is a good way of looking at food.

but more of an auxiliary perspective than a primary one

--------------------

Offlinejvm
I knew the pieces fit!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio Flag
    #10133238 - 04/08/09 09:56 PM (15 years, 11 days ago)

I always feel better fasting and after fasting, since it seems to be a cleansing. I've also had thoughts of it being unnecessary to indulge in the amounts of food the average person eats to get the 'daily nutritional value'.

Then sometimes i wonder if we need food at all to survive under stress/fear free conditions.

Invisibledaytripper23
?
Male

Loc: Flag
    #10133272 - 04/08/09 10:05 PM (15 years, 11 days ago)

Eating may not be quite as synonymous with your conditions of existence than you may believe. That is mentally speaking; because you do have to eat to live, but you also live to eat. Its good to learn the difference. I am on a post mushroom trip fast at the moment (I have fasted a few times); even to my amateur understanding of this, it is very enlightening as to what fundamental conditions are. Also, when I want to make changes to my diet, fasting is a good way to lead up to this. Or maybe it is more appropriately, that fasting generally precedes and often triggers diet changes, and gives a more tangible meaning to them.

--------------------
Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
  The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
  The frumious Bandersnatch!

Edited by daytripper23 (04/08/09 10:32 PM)

Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Re: diet and spirituality [Re: jvm]
    #10133276 - 04/08/09 10:06 PM (15 years, 11 days ago)

hmmm I imagine if one spent their life in meditation they'd need very little food (akin to asceticism)

I've heard of yogis who transcend the need to ever sleep... they no longer require it as they always stay near the center (and expend very little wasted mental energy)

--------------------

OfflineDiaboleros
Devil's spawn

#10134680 - 04/09/09 07:05 AM (15 years, 11 days ago)

Cool exact same thing happened to me recently. I didn't eat anything at all for a week, didn't sleep for a few days, and my body and mind completely healed. The only thing I did was smoke weed, but even my eyes and face didn't get affected! No physical or bodily signs whatsoever. So maybe the 2012 prophecy is true afterall and the world is starting to awaken.

OfflinejivJaN
yes
Male User Gallery

#10134706 - 04/09/09 07:22 AM (15 years, 11 days ago)

Quote:

I think you are what you eat.

I disagree completely.
I think.. your body is what your body eats.

f.e. I used to be a vegetarian. My spirit was satisfied.. but my body was not.
Every vehicle .. needs its own fuel.
You cant give water.. to a car that runs on gas.

I eat meat now.

My point is.. certain body types.. require a certain type of nutrition.. You would be surprised to know that some individuals actually need a lot of nutrients your body would probably reject in the same quantity.

The diet.. is simply meeting the needs of the body.
A diet.. is almost egotistic in its nature.
I say.. use your intuition.
Eat .. what feels good. Not to your taste buds.. but to your well being.
Generally.. a healthy balance would be good for almost all people.
Moderation.. and bombarding the body with unavoidably important vitamins , minerals etc..

Other than that..
I think .. the water you drink is probably the most important part of your daily substance intake.

:peace:

--------------------

---------------------

All my posts in this forum are strictly fictional.
They are derived from an acute mental illness , from which i am forced to lie compulsively.
I have never induced any kind of mind altering substance in my life  and i have no intentions whatsoever of doing anything illegal.
If I have ever suggested such a thing it would have most likely been , due to my personality disorder and i probably do not remember it at all..

InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under the C
    #10134834 - 04/09/09 08:08 AM (15 years, 11 days ago)

Quote:

hmmm I imagine if one spent their life in meditation they'd need very little food (akin to asceticism)

Amazingly, not moving requires less energy than moving. Real depth here, folks.

Quote:

I've heard of yogis who transcend the need to ever sleep... they no longer require it as they always stay near the center (and expend very little wasted mental energy)

Hearing stories is all the evidence that I need. :rolleyes:

--------------------

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

#10134854 - 04/09/09 08:14 AM (15 years, 11 days ago)

Quote:

how much do you feel diet effects wellbeing... beyond the obvious physical wellbeing... but holistically/spiritually/etc

This is too vague to properly respond to. Can you clarify?

I had a friend that was a total fruitarian. The acid ruined the enamel on his teeth.

--------------------

Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Re: diet and spirituality [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #10134937 - 04/09/09 08:48 AM (15 years, 11 days ago)

Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:
Quote:

Amazingly, not moving requires less energy than moving. Real depth here, folks.

I wasn't implying anything else...

Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:
Quote:

Hearing stories is all the evidence that I need. :rolleyes:

For what it's worth: http://anandaproject.org/sunyoga/ :grin:

--------------------

Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

#10134943 - 04/09/09 08:50 AM (15 years, 11 days ago)

Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:
Quote:

This is too vague to properly respond to. Can you clarify?

I had a friend that was a total fruitarian. The acid ruined the enamel on his teeth.

How do you guys always have a fruitarian friend. I believe Swami used to as well :grin:

edit: wait, just made the connection haha

Anyways all I'm getting at is... does diet effect inner state as opposed to just bodily health. I'm sure you're not skeptical of conscious experience.

--------------------

Edited by deff (04/09/09 09:04 AM)

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

#10134992 - 04/09/09 09:03 AM (15 years, 11 days ago)

Quote:

does diet effect inner state

All ingested substance effect inner state. As that is a physical response, I fail to see how it qualifies as spiritual.

--------------------

Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

#10135012 - 04/09/09 09:09 AM (15 years, 11 days ago)

Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:
Quote:

does diet effect inner state

All ingested substance effect inner state. As that is a physical response, I fail to see how it qualifies as spiritual.

What is spirituality to you? Playing racket ball and living healthy? Clearly something happens when one lives healthy .. mentally. Now if one is seeking understanding/wisdom/peace/mindfulness/w.e. diet may have an impact. Forget calling it spirituality.

From my own experience, eating too much seems to dull my "awareness", if that makes any sense

I was wondering if other people, in the spirituality forum, might have had experience with this. I believe you once mentioned a macrobiotic diet... which I also find interesting...

--------------------

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

#10135734 - 04/09/09 11:31 AM (15 years, 11 days ago)

Do an experiment.

Eat nothing but McDonald's for two months.  Note how you're feeling by the end.  Then do the same, except eat nothing but healthy, home-cooked food.  Note how you're feeling by the end and compare to the aftermath from fast food.

The results should not be counter-intuitive.

--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

OfflineCannashroom
Smoke two Joints
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere
Re: diet and spirituality [Re: deCypher]
    #10135871 - 04/09/09 11:54 AM (15 years, 11 days ago)

I think it has to do with how you feel about your food.  In the past, people's worshiped nature for the nourishment it gave to us.  We honored every living thing for giving up it's life force to us.  We were respectful to what we ate and this mindfulness and respect gave us the spiritual connection to the earth through what we ate.

In today's world eat has become so trivial and unceremonious.  We have processed foods and shit that makes us unhealthy as we slam it down our throats.  Even if we are eating good food, its our intentions that create the real spiritual change.  I no longer look at food the same way, it is not just a fuel or a meal, it is the life force that fuels me.  I respect the food I eat and the earth for providing me with this nourishment.

The respect for your food and earth becomes respect for your self, your body, mind and spirit.

Live food gives me the chi I need.

--------------------
"A human being is part of the whole, called by us 'Universe'; a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest -- a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness.

This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and affection for a few persons nearest us.

Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole nature in its beauty.

Nobody is able to achieve this completely but striving for such achievement is, in itself, a part of the liberation and a foundation for inner security."

Albert Einstein

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies