Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedvno5001
Stranger

First flush pictures! PF Tek Golden Teacher
    #10106498 - 04/04/09 06:23 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Hey everyone, I've made a few posts here with some pictuers of my progress. I finally started harvesting most of my fruits over the last three days or so, and took some pictures of a few of my cakes, check it out!

I realize that I probably waited a little too long to harvest, as a lot of the caps are really open, but that's okay, it turned out quite well in my opinion! Some of the fruits I have harvested are kind of the second flush I guess, as they were already halfway matured when I picked the first few fruits. Some were picked early and others later, so it wasn't really like it was all done at once, though there were points at which most of the fruits on a single cake were picked. For this reason, I didn't re-dunk the cakes, and I hope this is alright.

Anyways, I did 10 cakes, and about 3 or 4 of them turned out really well, and like 2 turned out decent. However, I have like 3 or 4 cakes which didn't really do anything! They are actually starting to pin now somewhat, but the caps are opening very early, and the fruits are very small with kind of thin stems on some of them. They were dunked and rolled along with the other cakes, but they just aren't seeming to do too well, here are a few pictures - any suggestions or observations would be great!

I had three of them on saucers with water for a few days in hopes that they would absorb some of it. I removed the saucers today, because I didn't want too much standing water there for too long, so hopefully they sucked some of it up, at least they are starting to pin now, but the pins definitely do not look as good as they did on some of my other cakes - or at least not yet.

Anyways, let me know what you guys think of all these pictures - any comments or suggestions or anything is appreciated! Thanks!

:cool:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSebastien
Don't look!
Male

Re: First flush pictures! PF Tek Golden Teacher [Re: dvno5001]
    #10106519 - 04/04/09 06:29 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Looking good! I feel your pain for uneven pinning, it's a total pain.

Offlineinit
Golden Student
Female User Gallery

Loc: west coast
    #10106556 - 04/04/09 06:38 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Looking good on the first flush! I love the pic of the shrooms all topsy-turvy on that cake. Good stuff.

Your cakes look really wet - it might be beneficial to fan them more often. You appear to be using a shotgun FC. How far apart are your holes? I feel like more FAE would help out the cakes that aren't doing as well. I would skip the misting and just fan for a while. I believe they need some evaporation to trigger pinning. Good luck!

--------------------

Offlinedvno5001
Stranger

Re: First flush pictures! PF Tek Golden Teacher [Re: init]
    #10106595 - 04/04/09 06:46 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Hmm, I see. Yes, I am using a shotgun FC and my holes are about 2" to 2 1/2" apart from each other or so. I actually taped up some of the holes about 5 days ago or so (a few days before these flushes) because I suspected that my humidity was too low (don't have a hygrometer). I will remove this tape now and see what effect it has. Though I have to say that I have been fanning quite a bit, but I have been misting quite a bit every time I fan, too.

So anyways, I will remove the extra tape right now and see how everything looks tomorrow or so. Thanks.

Offlineinit
Golden Student
Female User Gallery

Loc: west coast
    #10106647 - 04/04/09 06:53 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Ah my bad, I didn't see many holes in the pics. But now that I look closer, I see more. Very nice! Do let us know how the cakes react :thumbup:

--------------------

Offlinedvno5001
Stranger

Re: First flush pictures! PF Tek Golden Teacher [Re: init]
    #10112695 - 04/05/09 08:06 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Ok, well they're continuing to pin, but everything is staying pretty small with caps opening pretty early and somewhat thin stems - looks like I'm done with all of my big fruits pretty much. Idk why these few cakes just didn't do well at all, but whatever, I'm glad that at least some of my cakes were a success.

Also, I was kind of sad at my results after drying. I had probably 260g or so dry down to like 16g. I was hoping that I would be able to have about 28g dry, but now I feel I probably will not even be very close to this. It sucks, I have picked like 310g wet so far, and I feel like it probably won't all dry to mor than 20g or so max, and I doubt that I will be able to pick too much more now.

The big fruits that I was picking at the beginning seemed so sturdy with such solid stems, too, so I was surprised. I thought that it was only with hollow stems that they would dry to less that 10%, and these are drying to like 6%. The few fruits I am getting now are smaller and actually have much hollower stems, so I know I won't get much more weight at all. Oh well...:( Not really a big deal, I guess I was just expecting 10% so this kind of came as a shock which made it suck.

I would be really happy if somehow I was able to keep on picking and make it up to like an ounce dry, but with the way these things are drying I doubt I'll end up with more than like 20g or 21g.

Was definitely a good learning experience, tho, and it was a lot of fun! I will let you guys know what the final weight is if you care to know, I know this isn't really a very impressive grow or anything haha but still.

Also, I was thinking of a monotub for my next grow (which probably won't be for a while if I do it), but I will not have access to poo and I don't feel like it's necessary to buy it online or whatever. Therefore, does anybody know of any good monotub teks without poo? I saw a few that used coir and stuff, but I still have to do lots of research on monotubs before I start a grow. Thanks for any advice and comments!  :smile:

Offlinepotatonet
Quantum Scientist
I'm a teapot

Loc: Far side of the moon
    #10112752 - 04/05/09 08:15 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

more air

--------------------
In the Quechua language of Peru there are over 1000 words for "potato"

Offlinedvno5001
Stranger

Re: First flush pictures! PF Tek Golden Teacher [Re: potatonet]
    #10112841 - 04/05/09 08:33 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Are you saying more air to get my dry weight up or to make my current fruits bigger or what?

I know that they tend to dry to a low weight if they are oversaturated with water, but I fan very frequently and quite a bit when I do - I do this every time I mist and usually end up misting/fanning around 6 times a day or so. I also have all the holes in my FC letting out stale air/letting in fresh air so idk.

Offlinebbf
Michael O. Jist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ten Eyes See (ahyuck)
    #10112867 - 04/05/09 08:37 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

dvno5001 said:
Was definitely a good learning experience, tho, and it was a lot of fun!

You're doing great, and you have a great attitude!  Way to go!

As for the coir monotub, check these out:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6194331#Post6194331
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/9634344#9634344

I think that first link should be right up your alley.

--------------------
Correlation does not imply causation.

Offlinepotatonet
Quantum Scientist
I'm a teapot

Loc: Far side of the moon
    #10112872 - 04/05/09 08:38 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

how is the FC set up

--------------------
In the Quechua language of Peru there are over 1000 words for "potato"

Offlinedvno5001
Stranger

#10112895 - 04/05/09 08:41 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks a lot for the links! And the compliment :smile: haha. Also, I have a standard shotgun FC, about 4-5" of perlite with holes spaced out around 2 - 2 1/2" apart from each other

If anything I feel like my humidity may be low, but I do not know (no hygrometer). I had some of the holes in my FC taped up during the growth of these first fruits shown above and I think it increased the humidity, but I removed the tape per suggestions - so If I didn't have enough FAE before, I'm sure I must have enough now.

Either way, I was very happy with the way those previous fruits turned out, though I guess they were oversaturated or something. They were much bigger than anything I'm getting now, which is odd because I thought that the second and maybe third flushes were supposed to be less fruits but bigger ones? And I'm guessing the few cakes which are just now working on their first flushes (pretty much nothing) just don't have enough water in the substrate, or have some other sort of problem with the substrate which I can't really change now.

Is it somewhat common for fruits to dry to such a low weight, btw? Just curious.

Edited by dvno5001 (04/05/09 08:43 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale