Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Muscaria

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRaadt
nicht

Loc: azurescending
favorite cultivated edible
    #1010223 - 10/31/02 01:06 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I was just curious what each person here's favorite edible (tastewise) was which they've cultivated, or someone they know. I know certain things can be cultivated largescale, but i mean in reality a culture for me to buy, and attempt to cultivate. I haven't yet tried to eat many but store oyster, shiitake, portabella.

thanks in advance.

--------------------
Raadt

-- The information I provide is only information from readings, growing of gourmet mushrooms, and second hand stories--

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblepsyconaut
NASA trainedpsychonaut
Loc: The Great White North
Re: favorite cultivated edible [Re: Raadt]
    #1011133 - 10/31/02 06:50 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I think if you like the taste of mushrooms, you like quite a wide variety of them. :smile:

I like shiitake's quite a bit....great for stir frys, and so-so good for you.

Oysters are so-so, in my humble opinion.

I've had enokitake's in Japanese restaurants, and do indeed think they're a nice accent to miso. Can't wait to cultivate my own.

Sometimes, to be honest, even the humble white button has it's place. If you just want to add a mushroom accent to a sauce, it's sometimes a waste to use anything more essoteric.

Anyways, oysters are good to start with....dead simple....you'll get some results. If you want something a little more rewarding, I'd go with shiitake's. And then just work your way towards whatever interests you.

I think I just lost my current shiitake block :frown: But if I win her back, I'll send you a tissue culture or print.

-psyco 

--------------------
It may look like a button mushroom right now, but wait until you see how it grows!

OfflineRaadt
nicht

Re: favorite cultivated edible [Re: psyconaut]
    #1011817 - 10/31/02 11:11 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

My cultivation abilities are not limited, i have fruited the most difficult of psilocybes outdoor. And some rather difficult indoor. I am just looking for something that will offer me a good treat. Stamets suggested lions mane to me, via email. Some others have suggested others.

--------------------
Raadt

-- The information I provide is only information from readings, growing of gourmet mushrooms, and second hand stories--

Anonymous

#1012429 - 11/01/02 06:06 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Raadt wrote: I haven't yet tried to eat many but store oyster, shiitake, portabella.

me too... and i also want to try try others as well ...

i would love to grow some of these and other species... i've spent the last year and a half taking samples, growing out, and identifying lower life forms...

never in a million years would i have ever imagined myself developing the deep interest i have in slime molds genetically developed " cousins ", the mushroom...

gotta love it  :wink:

peace... 

Invisiblepsyconaut
NASA trainedpsychonaut
    #1012913 - 11/01/02 10:31 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I still say start with oysters....you'll get bored of waiting with some of the more essoteric wood lovers. :wink:

-psyco

--------------------
It may look like a button mushroom right now, but wait until you see how it grows!

OfflineGSAfarmer
Mycotopian
Loc: Mycotopia
    #1013374 - 11/01/02 01:20 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I like the Chanthrelle and Angle wings. Due to the have light mushroomy flavor and can absorbe other favors in dishes. The Shaggy Parasol (Lepiota Racodes) is aslo good, has a little nutty flavor in my opinon. Has anyone here had Amanita veelosa? I hear it is very tastey.........................peace

--------------------

GSAfarmer Joshua

"Don't live someone elses dream."..........GSAfarmer

OfflineRaadt
nicht

Re: favorite cultivated edible [Re: Anonymous]
    #1013654 - 11/01/02 03:18 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I agree completely, I started off with the interest of getting psy mush. Because I don't like dealing with drug dealers, it's bad ethics in my opinion. So I went about it the most organic way possible, and bought the stuff to make the mush. From there my interest delved so far into the actual life cycle, and process of cultivation, that i've gone out of my way to try other mushrooms. Now i'd like to start growing some for my girlfriend to cook me. I have been told Shaggys are very good, does anyone know? I think I may make them my 1st project, after oysters.

--------------------
Raadt

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Post deleted by Moe Howard [Re: Raadt]
    #1013827 - 11/01/02 04:20 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

OfflineGao
Irie Hombre
Re: favorite cultivated edible [Re: ]
    #1014021 - 11/01/02 06:05 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Yea. I've got some Coprinus comatus spores that just germinated. I can't wait to cultivate this baby!

I too initally found myself drawn to mycology due to psychadelic mushrooms. However, after stopping doing drugs, I still loved the daily ritual of checking on my cultures and fruit bodies. So, I got into cultivating edibles. I just got a little more serious with it tho, and am collecting a bunch of strains for culture. I work at a university, and damn, there sure are a lot of likeminded folk here. A few faculty members here have been kind enough to share cultures and spores, and more than a few have promised me more. If anyone wants any cultures from me, I'm more than happy to trade:

Heres the list:

H. capnoides (cloned from wild)
L. nuda
P. ostreatus
M. esculenta
M. agusticeps (2 or 3 distinctly different strains. From a variety of locations).
A. albolutescens*
A. blazei *
C. comatus

I don't have cultures of the Agaricus species, just prints. I got them to germinate once, then let the cultures die. As far as I know, nobody else has been albe to get these particular prints to work.

I'll have these soon (traded with a fellow shroomerite):

Pleurotus citrinopileatus
Pleurotus djamor
Ganoderma lucidum
Agrocybe aegerita
Trametes versicolor
Armillariella tabescens

Anyway, I think that the more people grow medicinal and edibles, the more the world will benefit. So get growin, and get your friends interested in it too!

Gao

Edited by Gao (11/01/02 06:13 PM)

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
    #1016535 - 11/02/02 07:11 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

shiitake and maitake hands down. growing the shiitake has given me so much hastle i gave up for a while.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Offlineviscid
dikaryon
I'm a teapot

Loc: the mycological center of...
    #1016624 - 11/02/02 07:46 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

if i could innoculate every stump in the world, i would go with laetiporous sulphureus.
de-fuckin-lish.
but agaricus augustus is close to the top of my edibles list.
blazei is supposed to be similar.
oysters are almost boring, but there are so many species and strains of pleurotus that it cant be too boring.
morels would prolly have to be an outdoor thing, but if you could apply yourself and come up with a consistent strategy for indoor fruiting, you could be a millionaire soon.
i have faith in you. it sucks that mycorhizals take so long, it seems some of the better edibles are strictly mycorhizal.
how about sparassis crispa? if you could get some spores, that would be the gem. i dont knbow that it has been cultivated, and i think it is saprophytic. and it is super deliscious, imo.
keep us updated.
hey gao, what do you want in trade for some of those cultures, man, sounds like you have quite a library going!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
You do not know me.

You can't see me.

Invisiblepsyconaut
NASA trainedpsychonaut
Re: favorite cultivated edible [Re: viscid]
    #1016912 - 11/02/02 09:46 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Viscid: what sort of issues are you having with shiitake?

-psy

--------------------

Invisiblepsyconaut
NASA trainedpsychonaut
Re: favorite cultivated edible [Re: canid]
    #1019133 - 11/03/02 07:01 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

The shiitake question was actually meant for concretefeet....not viscid....oops (on my part!).

So, concretefeet, what hassles have you had with shiitakes?

-psy

--------------------

OfflineGao
Irie Hombre
Re: favorite cultivated edible [Re: viscid]
    #1051083 - 11/13/02 11:16 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Hey, yea, I got a few cultures! The trade came through, and it's been a lot of work plating and isolating the last week. I'm pretty willing to send you a few cultures if you really want them for free. I mean, I think growing mushrooms is very important, and besides, how would I have gotten these cool cultures if some people hadn't been generous with me?

PM me if you want to trade, or if you really want something, and we can work it out.

OfflineAustralianfungi
Edible not magic
Male

Loc: QLD, Australia
    #13918963 - 02/06/11 11:48 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I think if you're going for an alrounder mushroom that is easy to grow and tastes great, I'd go for the king oyster mushroom (Pleurotus eryngii). It's very forgiving like most oyster mushrooms but it has a dense texture (without being woody) and good flavour.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Muscaria