Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecatchafire
Stranger

bulk vacuum pasturize.
    #10100821 - 04/03/09 02:59 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

So this is an idea parted with a question. the question is has any one had good results with bulk pasterizing in autoclave bags such as in the bulk substrate section. i know thats thought as bulk but im loking on a lil more of a scale like a cooler. Im asking cause i wanted to vacuum seal substrate so i can fit more in the cooler at once (givin it will work). than pasturize for 3 hour i was thinking at 160. was wondering if it would not only pasturize through the vacuum bag but, but if the fact that the air is sucked out would maybe help too. i need to do more.

im currently usin a tub in tub with three underwear bags full of straw/dung/verm. it makes around 6 small litter box's.

any help advice woulb be great.

...also i love the idea of no wasted nutrients

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleuncle_rico
my own worst enemy
Male User Gallery

Re: bulk vacuum pasturize. [Re: catchafire]
    #10100916 - 04/03/09 03:23 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Mr. CatchaFire,

I don't understand the purpose of the vacuum sealed bag for pasteurization.  To keep the water out of the bag?

Many people who use coolers or tubs for pasteurization (pour in hot hot water and then monitor the internal temperature of the substrate) use 'meat' or 'candy' thermometers inserted into the substrate in order to monitor the internal temps. so they know if they need to add more hot water, etc.

I have used this style of pasteurization with bags and quart jars .... but the containers were not vacuum sealed.  not for pasteurization.

When I used qt. jars .... I'd have the qt. jars sitting in the cooler with their lids on but not tight .... and one of the jars covered with aluminum foil ... and the thermometer stuck through the foil into the substrate.  Place this jar in the middle of the other 20 jars so its internal temperature will be representative of the other jars.

You can use your bags held closed with rubber bands.

Good luck.

--------------------

Offlinecatchafire
Stranger

Re: bulk vacuum pasturize. [Re: uncle_rico]
    #10187885 - 04/18/09 12:33 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

the vacuum will take all the air out not only making it smaller but puts the mass at direct contact. i would love to fit twice as many. and yes the water exchange would be nice to control too.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #10188539 - 04/18/09 07:50 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

If you vacuum seal the bags, you won't be able to insert a thermometer into the center of the substrate, thus you won't know when you've reached pasteurization temp.

I pasteurize in filter patch bags all the time, but leave them unsealed.  Your cooler idea won't work.  You want the center of your substrate within the bags to be at 140F to 160F for an hour.  If you had them in 160F water, I doubt they'd reach that temp even if you left them for 12 hours.

Load your bags and put them in large pots of water on the stove.  Use your stove burner to regulate the temp in the center of the bags, and keep them in the range stated above.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleFractalXplora
Grainiack
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: bulk vacuum pasturize. [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #10188555 - 04/18/09 07:58 AM (14 years, 10 months ago)

or theres this method, I've not tried but people have great sucsess using this pasterizing method.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/9315587#9315587

--------------------

Offlinecatchafire
Stranger

Re: bulk vacuum pasturize. [Re: FractalXplora]
    #10192790 - 04/18/09 11:19 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

actually i just vacuum sealed a digital gauge in a bag just tonight. it has a cord that is sealed tight. also i find vacuum sealers to be great inpulse sealers. and another thing my cooler idea work 100 percent all the time. u might be trying to say my vacuum sealer thing wont work. to bad i don't listen and will be doing this tonight will post pics . think god my career as a glass blower taught me that the words can't,won't, and isnt are meaningless. they said all that about space travel. plus the vacuum sealer makes it so thin i think heat will transfer much easier. its called thermal mass and thermal dynamics say that a mass "energy" spreads its engery over the mass as it move towards so the fact that im making it as 2d as possible will make the exchange of heat possible. just look at heating registers.

Offlinecatchafire
Stranger

#10192798 - 04/18/09 11:21 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

just a thought my oven goes as low as 170 might heat them up and let the water maintain

Invisiblejokefox
Top of the chain
Male User Gallery

Loc: never where I should be
    #11760914 - 01/03/10 07:43 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

thats what im talking about some fucking science being used in the way its supposed to be used, with other science

i heard ovens arent the best because it leaves patches of unpasteurized or burnt areas

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: bulk vacuum pasturize. [Re: jokefox]
    #11760967 - 01/03/10 07:51 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Hint: if the OP hasn't come back and said it worked (after 8 months) you can assume it didn't work.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Invisiblejokefox
Top of the chain
Male User Gallery

Loc: never where I should be
Re: bulk vacuum pasturize. [Re: Doc_T]
    #11768477 - 01/05/10 03:16 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

hahaha thats the way it goes

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags