Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineOttoGenerated
Stranger

Gypsum question
    #10097644 - 04/02/09 09:47 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I have gypsum I collected from a gypsum field. It's granular and sandy. I don't know what else it might contain, but I'm pretty sure it's almost entirely gypsum.

Would this work for rye jars?

This is White Sands, this is not where my gypsum came from. Taking sand from White Sands is not very nice, and it's illegal.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblefreespeech
disciple
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Gypsum question [Re: OttoGenerated]
    #10097924 - 04/02/09 10:26 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

OttoGenerated said:
I have gypsum I collected from a gypsum field. It's granular and sandy. I don't know what else it might contain, but I'm pretty sure it's almost entirely gypsum.

Would this work for rye jars?

This is White Sands, this is not where my gypsum came from. Taking sand from White Sands is not very nice, and it's illegal.

You should try some experiments with the gypsum that you collected alongside "regular" gypsum. Maybe you'll have better results with your fancy special gypsum :cool:

OfflineOttoGenerated
Stranger

Re: Gypsum question [Re: freespeech]
    #10098202 - 04/02/09 11:16 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

It's just regular gypsum, I think. I thought maybe someone had used gypsum collected from nature before.

Offlinekoopa_troopa
the fun guy
Male User Gallery

#10098418 - 04/03/09 12:16 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

gypsum works great.. if its chunky or too granular you can just add a little more than usual to the rye or wbs when you simmer it for a lil bit.. makes the gypum dissolve and coat the grain perfectly in even amounts :smile:

--------------------

Koopa Out
OfThisWorld,SmilingDownOnOurs: BirsdEyeView,NeverNewLife,PastsFastAsCars

OfflineOttoGenerated
Stranger

Re: Gypsum question [Re: koopa_troopa]
    #10150762 - 04/12/09 05:55 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

"Fancy" gypsum seems to be working. :smile:

I won't be able to say if it works better, but I will soon be able to say if it works.

It didn't completely dissolve, unfortunately. There are some tiny little gypsum grains throughout my jars, but the mycelium don't seem to mind the crystals much, and I don't see how some grains of calcium sulfate would cause any serious damage to a project, especially when it's being intentionally added in the first place.

Why do we add gypsum, what does it do?

Invisiblefreespeech
disciple
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
    #10151261 - 04/12/09 10:19 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

OttoGenerated said:
"Fancy" gypsum seems to be working. :smile:

I won't be able to say if it works better, but I will soon be able to say if it works.

It didn't completely dissolve, unfortunately. There are some tiny little gypsum grains throughout my jars, but the mycelium don't seem to mind the crystals much, and I don't see how some grains of calcium sulfate would cause any serious damage to a project, especially when it's being intentionally added in the first place.

Why do we add gypsum, what does it do?

I've heard it adds minerals that fruits need for proper cell structure, for example, calcium. I'm no biologist though.

Also, I get little chunks of gypsum in my grain jars too. I don't think it's a big problem, but I'm not entirely sure if they are affecting my projects.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Gypsum question [Re: freespeech]
    #10151429 - 04/12/09 11:04 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Gypsum provides nutrients and it also keeps the grains from sticking together.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder