Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBuckeye Oysters
From Zero to Hero
 User Gallery

Stropharia in garden
    #10090739 - 04/01/09 10:16 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

If I mix in stropharia spawn into my vegetable gardens woodchips is there any chance of the mycellium choking out the vegetable roots or will everything work side by side?

--------------------
Evolution is Lamarckism in disguise.  Adaptation never creates a new species or trait, but rather the new species/trait always existed within the parent DNA until circumstances allowed it to be activated.  For instance, every wolf has the DNA for poodles, but that DNA would never be revealed without man selectively breeding for it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site

Re: Stropharia in garden [Re: Buckeye Oysters]
    #10090858 - 04/01/09 10:32 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

if anything it might help the plants
gardening with mushrooms is fine, and a common practice in asia

OfflineParesthesia
Stranger
Male

Loc: Texas
Re: Stropharia in garden [Re: CptnGarden]
    #10091105 - 04/01/09 11:06 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I now have a tomato plant the size of a washing machine.  It's growing in a bed of wood chips I layered with elm oyster cardboard spawn.  I'm having to stake branches up because the growing fruits are too heavy for the plant to support.  This is a good agricultural practice for the small scale home gardener.

--------------------
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."

- T. S. Eliot

InvisibleRoger Fudd
 User Gallery

Loc: Earth, Inner Solar System
Re: Stropharia in garden [Re: Paresthesia]
    #10091788 - 04/02/09 12:56 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Pics possible?;) I'm looking forward to summer-garden here I come. I have to try using some extra spawn with my plants. I'd probably do them in pots first IMO, just to see how it reacts with the plant and environment.

InvisibleLokelYokel
I Gro Fuud
Male User Gallery

Loc: Deep in the Heart
Re: Stropharia in garden [Re: Roger Fudd]
    #10091852 - 04/02/09 01:13 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I'll second the plant pic request!  Do you think the oysters are fortifying the tomatoes or is it just some nutritious soil in which they are growing?

--------------------
ReUse! RePurpose! ReCycle!  "Mom says use it again!"

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site

Re: Stropharia in garden [Re: LokelYokel]
    #10091868 - 04/02/09 01:18 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

probably a mix of both.

oysters also eat contaminants, and that probably allows for more positive microorganisms to grow along side them

most good earthy gardeners know that microorganisms are probably THE most important thing in gardening.

OfflineParesthesia
Stranger
Male

Re: Stropharia in garden [Re: CptnGarden]
    #10092400 - 04/02/09 05:20 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Mushroom mycelium breaks materials in the soil down into compounds more easily utilized by the plants.  I also think they play a role in keeping fungal pathogens out of the soil.  (Powdery mildew has been a big problem for me in the past.)  There are a lot of factors involved with this tomato plant, including:

1. A very mild winter.  I put the plant in the ground last fall.
2. Mycorrhizal treatment from FP applied to the seedling.
3. I haven't been pruning it very well.
4. The plant had a whole bed to itself over the winter.  Its only neighbor is an oregano plant that refuses to die.

I haven't fertilized the bed since last spring, though!  I'll post pics later, I swear.  I know I can't draw a direct correlation between the oysters and my tomato plant, I was just stating that it doesn't hurt. :grin:

I have a couple of other experiments going, including:

King stropharia and sweet corn.
Pioppino growing with peppers, eggplants and shallots.

I also have an Agaricus bitorquis kit that I'm thinking about using to inoculate another bed, but I'm not sure it would have time to colonize fully before temps here shot up into the 90s.

--------------------
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time."

- T. S. Eliot

Edited by Paresthesia (04/02/09 05:29 AM)

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #10093851 - 04/02/09 12:15 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

is there any chance of the mycellium choking out the vegetable roots or will everything work side by side?

No, they consume different foods.  Many people don't realize that manure is useless to plants.  The nutrients in the manure only become available to the roots of your garden plants when they are released by bacteria and fungi.  If you put plants into containers filled with sterile manure and sterile soil, the plant would starve and die.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleJef
Out-of-work Sex Slave
Male User Gallery

Loc: near Duncan, BC
    #10094833 - 04/02/09 02:42 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

:picdidnthappen:

--------------------
I am my own lab rat.

Tell me and I will forget. Show me and I will remember.  Involve me and I will learn.

OfflineParesthesia
Stranger
Male

Re: Stropharia in garden [Re: Jef]
    #10099985 - 04/03/09 11:41 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

So, what.  You think you're calling me out?

All I have to say is, BOOM!  Sit your punk ass down! :grin:

This is a picture of one of one of the dowels I used to inoculate my beds.  It came up when I was planting nasturtium seeds.  I've gotten a couple of unimpressive fruitings from these beds, but they're always devoured by slugs.

As far as my tomato goes, I really want to side dress it with a high phosphate compound like bat guano or bone meal, but I'm not sure if it will damage mushroom mycelium.  I'm going to break up some additional elm oyster blocks and throw on another layer of mulch this weekend.

--------------------

- T. S. Eliot

InvisibleJef
Out-of-work Sex Slave
Male User Gallery

Loc: near Duncan, BC
    #10100286 - 04/03/09 12:57 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

No, but enjoyed the pics. LOL.

Big plant. Growing at your neighbours ? (Tease)

Whatever you add, just make sure it's dilute, and you'll be fine.

The poison is in the dose....

Jef

--------------------
I am my own lab rat.

Tell me and I will forget. Show me and I will remember.  Involve me and I will learn.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate