Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinetreesniper119
No one of Consequence
Male User Gallery

Loc: rainbow land
Corn Spawn to Worm castings
    #10079850 - 03/31/09 11:43 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I'm going to pick up a 30 lb. bag of PURE organic worm castings tomorrow: its about $18.00
http://www.wormsway.com/detail.asp?sku=WCA430
  It's very cheap and I live around the area that sells it. (its practically next door) I've read  posts specifically dealing with "worm casting" questions (old/outdated/uninformative). From the few posts that do deal with this specifically I've gathered that it seems like an excellent nutritious substrate with many a possible combination (straw,poo,verm,coir,etc.)

At this Store, they also have a 5 lb. bag of Algamin kelp meal: $14.00.
http://www.wormsway.com/detail.asp?sku=AKM400
I have also read that this is an excellent additive to my sub. (Here comes the flattery):rolleyes: I'm sure someone here in the mushroom community would have relative experience with these two organics.(RR,Agar,etc. :wink:) Perhaps they could pass down some of the collective wisdom they have ascertained throughout their time here (on earth), and relay a tried and true method for me?
BTW, I DO mind posting the question abroad because I hate the misinformation that I'm all too accustomed to online...
Seriously though, any good advice you could pass along would be great.

Parameters:

-I'm using a Martha set-up (large scale 72")
-I have a custom 3-part FAE/ultrasonic/hygrometer setup
-Spawning with corn (already at 100%)
-Not my first time growing but... my first time with these specifics.

Specifics,

What I don't know is:

-Bulk substrate ratio in dealing with worm castings, vermiculite, AND kelp meal? (example: 50/?/?)
-Ratio of Quart size jars of corn spawn to this ^^^substrate mix^^^?

-Please don't post uninformative or useless comments-

"I've never tried it before but good luck"
"Worm castings suck"
"UTFSE"

Right before posting this it transferred me to may outdated (some as far as 7 years back) uninformative posts that I've already read (aka. search engine) dealing with only a few elements of my inquiry. I may be new to this site but... I am on it everyday researching my brains out and so I challenge you, bring on the new and relevant responses :thumbup:

--------------------
Icelander said: I'd like to fund unlimited abortions. Finally some good coming from my tax dollars.

Repetoire89 said: I love abortion and fully condone it - some should make it into a sport.

Treesniper119 said: Any one who is willing to start life & also willing to deny life to their form/seed/child/offspring is cursed.
For you have severed your own cord to lifes worth.
Anyone who condones these actions is cursed as well...

Edited by treesniper119 (04/01/09 02:58 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinetreesniper119
No one of Consequence
Male User Gallery

Re: Corn Spawn to Worm castings [Re: treesniper119]
    #10085737 - 04/01/09 07:42 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

(William Shatner voice)
Captains log...
stardate - April 1st 2009,
still theres....
no reply,
At least the uninformative comments...
have been kept out,
bump.

--------------------
Icelander said: I'd like to fund unlimited abortions. Finally some good coming from my tax dollars.

Repetoire89 said: I love abortion and fully condone it - some should make it into a sport.

Treesniper119 said: Any one who is willing to start life & also willing to deny life to their form/seed/child/offspring is cursed.

Offlinechobumms
Pokemon Master
Male User Gallery

#10085965 - 04/01/09 08:59 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

-Bulk substrate ratio in dealing with worm castings, vermiculite, AND algamin? (example: 50/?/?)
-Ratio of Quart size jars of corn spawn to this ^^^substrate mix^^^?

for cubes, I'd say 10 to 20 percent vermiculite is good.
for worm castings, they're only necessary with coir in my opinion. Use one quart per brick of coir like large_dose.

His recipe is a brick of coir, one quart verm, one quart coffee grounds(substitute coffee with worm castings)

Pasteurize in pillow case or 5 gallon paint strainer from home depot at 150-170 degrees for 30 minutes at least.Cool. Drain to where you get a very small stream to two drops of water out per handful. mix with spawn. 30 percent to 50 percent corn spawn is great. the more the better up until 50 percent. Good luck, friend.

--------------------
[/url]
My "Faster Germination For Popcorn Substrate" TEK
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/8428361#8428361

Offlinetreesniper119
No one of Consequence
Male User Gallery

Re: Corn Spawn to Worm castings [Re: chobumms]
    #10087612 - 04/01/09 02:48 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I'd love any more information, please keep the comments coming.

--------------------

Edited by treesniper119 (04/01/09 03:21 PM)

Offlinechobumms
Pokemon Master
Male User Gallery

#10091710 - 04/02/09 12:37 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

RR doesn't like popcorn, as it's inferior to rye as is WBS. The Year I used popcorn I learned a very helpful tip from myself. Never incubate it in a TiT. Always out in open. See my sig for popcorn faster germination using multispore. Don't use a Tit!!! Popcorn to horsepoo straight or hpoo 80% and verm 20%=:thumbup:

--------------------
[/url]

Offlinetreesniper119
No one of Consequence
Male User Gallery

#10093559 - 04/02/09 11:24 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Yes, I read your popcorn tek when i first started this project,
(along with many other on this site) and all my jars are at 100% no contams.
I'm picking up the kelp meal(5lb.) and worm castings(30lbs.) today!
My pasteurized h/poo (20 lb.) is in route for delivery tomorrow!
What do you think an optimal ratio with these would be:
h-poo/worm castings/vermiculite? [ 40/40/20 ] ?
(Thank you for be so insightful.):grin:

--------------------

Offlinechobumms
Pokemon Master
Male User Gallery

#10097485 - 04/02/09 09:30 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I only use worm castings to supplement coir as said above, because hpoo is good on the side of nitrogen.

But if you want, add it at 10-20%.
I like verm at about 20-25%
AS for Kelp meal, I've never used it, but here's something I found somebody else say about it.:

Quote:

worm castings-any ratio
verm-any ratio to get texture right
coir-any ratio
coffee-any ratio
Kelp meal-1 teaspoon full to 5 lbs dry substrate.
veg oil-1 ounce per every 2 kilo's of sub (hpoo,coir,straw etc etc)
gypsum-ten percent no more(I add between 5-9%)
Chicken manure-no more than 1 cup per 20 cups sub since it contains allot of nitrogen which can burn mycelium.

See the chicken manure warning in there? Too much nitrogen can and will burn mycelium. Just keep that in mind for later. But worm castings won't burn your substrate.

--------------------
[/url]

Offlinetreesniper119
No one of Consequence
Male User Gallery

#10101466 - 04/03/09 05:10 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Excellent, thank you for all the help friend.:grin:
I've also read up about the kelp meal and chicken poo. I won't use them right away...
First, a small side experiment before going bulk with those 2 additives.
I'll let you know all of my findings :thumbup:

--------------------

Offlinechobumms
Pokemon Master
Male User Gallery

#10108108 - 04/04/09 11:47 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

treesniper119 said:
Excellent, thank you for all the help friend.:grin:
I've also read up about the kelp meal and chicken poo. I won't use them right away...
First, a small side experiment before going bulk with those 2 additives.
I'll let you know all of my findings :thumbup:

Sounds great! I found composted chicken manure for sale in bags out in the country, but no wheat straw. Fuck! Good luck

--------------------
[/url]

Offlinetreesniper119
No one of Consequence
Male User Gallery

#10135292 - 04/09/09 10:12 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

So, i set aside 4 big meatloaf baking pans, [4 in. deep]  i used a 2:4 ratio of corn spawn to tennstud 50/50 straw-hpoo mix in layers, then covered with foil and wait... I also accomplished my first G2G transfer with 100% success. no contams yet. ;-) The next batch of substrate will all be pasteurized together with the ingredients mentioned earlier. Then i can compare the results.
Man, i really like tennstudd subs, i just wished they had their shit together lol. It takes 2 weeks or so to arrive. The wait was worth it...(I guess).
BTW, I've had no problem with cracked corn as of yet, and I read RR and agars thoughts on it being inferior to rye/wbs, though i do take what they add to this community very seriously, until i come across a problem with it, I'm gonna stick with it.
If it ain't broke, why fix it?
I may turn this into a grow log but I'm kinda feelin sketched out by the internet. Everything is watched and monitored now a days. Posting pics seems like a very bad idea. Good thing we're not doing anything illegal on this site though.:mushroom2:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds