Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedvno5001
Stranger

How are these pins looking? (no hygrometer)
    #10074946 - 03/30/09 04:32 PM (15 years, 20 days ago)

Hey guys, everything has been going pretty well so far. Colonized 10 cakes and have had no contaminants so far so I'm keeping my fingers crossed on that. Thanks for all the help.

Anyways, I put my cakes in the fc four or five days ago, and I started seeing pins like two or three days ago or so. It seems to be going pretty well so far - some pins look good, while others look kind of weird. I do not have a hygrometer, so I am not sure what the humidity is like in the chamber. I mist and fan it quite frequently (was doing it every four hours at first, but I feel like I can do it more often than that).

So I thought that I would post some pictures of my pins and see if I can get any advice or comments. Can anybody see any signs of low humidity or not enough FAE or anything like that? I keep my 20W 6500K CFL over the chamber for roughly 12 hours every day. I only have the one bulb, but I think that it covers all the cakes pretty well. I'm trying to get a few minutes of direct sunlight on them every day, too, but unfortunatly it has been cloudy the past couple of days haha.

Anyways, if anybody has any comments on whether these look healthy or could use anything, please let me know. Also, any thoughts on when they should be getting done at this rate? Thanks a lot guys! :smile:

The one pin next to the quarter came up a day before any of the other ones, and it is growing pretty quickly - definitely my biggest as of right now! Also, everything looks so moist because I had just misted a few minutes before taking the pictures.

The strain is GT, by the way. Standard beginner stuff, haha.

:cool:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleShr00mZ
Space Invader

Re: How are these pins looking? (no hygrometer) [Re: dvno5001]
    #10074965 - 03/30/09 04:35 PM (15 years, 20 days ago)

Not bad man, Usually after the first couple pins are formed for a few days.. the cakes will really start pin all ova. Id say theyve been there for 2-3 days. You'll really tell if your humidity is too low by the thickness of the stipes, once you do a few grows. It never hurts to have a cheap hygrometer in there.

--------------------

OfflineRufio
Danger
Male

Loc: New Mexico
Re: How are these pins looking? (no hygrometer) [Re: Shr00mZ]
    #10075022 - 03/30/09 04:44 PM (15 years, 20 days ago)

those are looking great...nice work!

InvisibleDZ
ranger
Male

Re: How are these pins looking? (no hygrometer) [Re: Rufio]
    #10075252 - 03/30/09 05:19 PM (15 years, 20 days ago)

are you misting the cakes directly or misting the sides of the FC?

OfflineHazeyRoms
The Pro Sonn
Male

Loc: Wisconsin
Re: How are these pins looking? (no hygrometer) [Re: DZ]
    #10075724 - 03/30/09 06:29 PM (15 years, 20 days ago)

Kinda slimy looking though right? They look good none the less man.

--------------------
-Sonn, Hazey here. And I'm bacc. Anyone in Wisconsin, PM me. Unity my nillas/niggas.

-"5 Nike duffle bags??? How much does all that weigh?? - Just 30 pounds Bruhh, relax my nilla, it don't stink like weed so we're all good."-(Penis Envy Moments)-

OfflineDuggstarMDiscord
 User Gallery

Loc: Ireland
Re: How are these pins looking? (no hygrometer) [Re: Shr00mZ]
    #10075747 - 03/30/09 06:32 PM (15 years, 20 days ago)

Quote:

Shr00mZ said:
You'll really tell if your humidity is too low by the thickness of the stipes, once you do a few grows.

Would I be correct to presume you mean that if the stipes are thin then your humidity is too low?  How can you tell if the stipes are too thin/thick anyway?  Aren't they different from strain to strain anyway?

InvisibleDZ
ranger
Male

Re: How are these pins looking? (no hygrometer) [Re: Duggstar]
    #10075882 - 03/30/09 06:52 PM (15 years, 20 days ago)

yes they're different among strains, but you can find an average size by browsing around through grow logs of ur strain, and compare fruit sizes, but it seems there are other variables that go into stipe thickness (ie. the substrate can make a big difference in fruit sizes).

OfflineBreakfast Crew
Cheerios
Male

#10075894 - 03/30/09 06:54 PM (15 years, 20 days ago)

Did you mist right before the pictures? Looks a little wet there.

OfflineGreen2whitethumb
Lumberjack
Male User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Over the Rainbo...
    #10075908 - 03/30/09 06:55 PM (15 years, 20 days ago)

No direct sunlight.

--------------------
Welcome to Costco.....I love you.

***All communications from this avatar are fictitious and should be treated as such.

Offlinedvno5001
Stranger

Re: How are these pins looking? (no hygrometer) [Re: Duggstar]
    #10075940 - 03/30/09 06:59 PM (15 years, 20 days ago)

Thanks for all the comments so far.

Yeah I think they look slimy because they were wet from the misting only a couple of minutes before the pictures were taken - they don't always look that moist.

Also, yes - I am misting the cakes. I am not spraying directly at them from close range, but kind of letting lots of mist fall onto them, as well as on the perlite. I kind of mist the entire chamber together, including the cakes. I have been moving away from this as pinning has started to occur, however. I am now trying to spray the perlite on its own more, especially if the cakes already look somewhat wet and I feel like the chamber could use higher humidity. But I am still not at all worried about getting the cakes wet, even with the pins beginning to show - and it is working well so far.

Feel free to keep those comments coming, I feel like I'm finally in the most exciting stage of the process and I'm loving any feedback! These things are getting visibly much bigger every day! lol :laugh:

Offlinedvno5001
Stranger

#10075949 - 03/30/09 07:01 PM (15 years, 20 days ago)

Really? I was under the impression that 5 to 10 minutes of direct sunlight a day is supposed to be quite helpful? :confused:

OfflineGreen2whitethumb
Lumberjack
Male User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Over the Rainbo...
    #10075984 - 03/30/09 07:07 PM (15 years, 20 days ago)

Quote:

dvno5001 said:
Really? I was under the impression that 5 to 10 minutes of direct sunlight a day is supposed to be quite helpful? :confused:

INdirect sunlight.

--------------------
Welcome to Costco.....I love you.

***All communications from this avatar are fictitious and should be treated as such.

InvisibleDZ
ranger
Male

Re: How are these pins looking? (no hygrometer) [Re: Green2whitethumb]
    #10076016 - 03/30/09 07:13 PM (15 years, 20 days ago)

12 on 12 off works perfect for me, but many other ways will work just too.

Edited by DZ (03/30/09 08:46 PM)

Offlinepoppin123
Organic
Male

Loc: Orlando,FL
    #10076050 - 03/30/09 07:17 PM (15 years, 20 days ago)

10-15 min a day doesn't sound like enough to me.  Can't you just leave them under a window for a few hours?

Offlinedvno5001
Stranger

Re: How are these pins looking? (no hygrometer) [Re: poppin123]
    #10076128 - 03/30/09 07:29 PM (15 years, 20 days ago)

Oh I meant 5 to 10 minutes direct sunlight in addition to my other lighting. I keep my 6500K CFL shining on my fc for about 12 hours a day and keep it off for the other 12 or so hours. I will put the fc in front of a window with sunlight shining directly in for about 5 to 10 minutes a day if it is not too cloudy outside and then move it back under my light and away from the sunlight.

Here is a recent thread on the topic, a few other such threads can be found with the search function as well, and this thread has a couple of links in it, too.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/9706568#9706568

Edited by dvno5001 (03/30/09 07:30 PM)

InvisibleDZ
ranger
Male

#10076408 - 03/30/09 08:10 PM (15 years, 20 days ago)

deleted: my error, I should used the search feature!

Edited by DZ (03/30/09 08:45 PM)

Offlinedvno5001
Stranger

#10076534 - 03/30/09 08:23 PM (15 years, 20 days ago)

Word, I hear ya. Idk, RR recommended it in a couple of the links in that thread above, so I think I will continue to do it. If I get any sunny days coming up, that is! :tongue:

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
    #10076625 - 03/30/09 08:35 PM (15 years, 20 days ago)

Quote:

aarondezern said:
I dont think the 5-10 minutes will show any noticeable benefits, just an unnecessary waste of time and effort. Just my opinion, but I don't think you would be able to notice much difference in the 6500k light compared to direct sunlight all the time.  As long as you have 12/12 of 6500k light, you should be in great shape. Just my thoughts

Youve not been here that long, so you have probably mised the posts of people who have actually tried it. I only found out not too long ago and i have been here for over 2 years and RR has been saying it for a while. filtering out the nonsense can be difficult, and finding full answers can be tricky also. Alot of people will have said to use inderect sunlight, which is correct, however theres usually more infomration to alot of the short answers out there.

Leaving your terrarium in direct sunlight for a long period of time is a bad idea, it will heat things up and dry your cakes out. However a few minutes of direct sunlight can do wonders for you pinset. A few members tried it recently with great results.

Those cakes are looking good. If you have build your shotgun FC correctly, including holes in top and bottom and have it elevated so air can get to the bottom, you should have no trouble acheiving 95%+, combined with misting you probably have 99%. I wouldnt worry about not having a hygrometer.

If you get cracked or split caps, thats usually a sing that rh is really low. Short skinny mushrooms are also an indication.

I dont think thin stipes is, i would think that would be more to do. with co2 build up. but i could be wrong.

Looks like your fruiting chamber is working really well for you

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

InvisibleDZ
ranger
Male

#10076705 - 03/30/09 08:44 PM (15 years, 20 days ago)

Yeh, I missed that post and have yet to try it. I get very good pinsets only using 6500 cfl light. It seems like it would be absolutely perfect for anyone having trouble with pinsets, but I will of course try this and compare it to see if it is beneficial to me. Sorry for my ignorance and keep up the 5-10 minutes of direct sunlight if its working for you, it seems like it is a useful technique.

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
    #10076740 - 03/30/09 08:48 PM (15 years, 20 days ago)

Quote:

aarondezern said:
Yeh, I missed that post and have yet to try it. I get very good pinsets only using 6500 cfl light. It seems like it would be absolutely perfect for anyone having trouble with pinsets, but I will of course try this and compare it. Sorry for my ignorance and keep up the 5-10 minutes of direct sunlight if its working for you, it seems it does help.

flourescent lighting works great too. Its a good alternative to natural sunlight.

I just wish my mate would listen to me, hes weed grow room, with 2 different types of light, 1 is the regular type bulb you use to grow weed and the other is a 55 watt 6500k fluerescent which would work great, except he doesnt have the FC near enough to the light source.

bad pinset every flush, plus he doesnt give enough FAE either.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix