Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisiblePhish_Dude
steppin' into yesterday
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: secret tweeker pad Flag
I think I may have used too much gypsum...
    #10074562 - 03/30/09 03:23 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

In my setup (Roadkill's Hpoo tek) I think I went a little heavy on the gypsum. The strain I'm working with is Ban Thurian. The mycelium has a slight pinkish hue around the chunks of gypsum, but is fully white where there is none. 
It was really slow to colonize the manure, and once fully colonized about 2 weeks ago never started pinning. I put it in the FC 2 nights ago and misted/ fanned to encourage pinning but no signs yet.
There are no signs of contamination, it looks perfectly healthy (other than the pinkish hue).
What could it be?

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinecReEp 1nc
Creep

Re: I think I may have used too much gypsum... [Re: Phish_Dude]
    #10074873 - 03/30/09 04:22 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

How heavy? Got any pics? I have seen orange hues in pf-tek jars before when I fucked them up and covered inoc holes before.

--------------------
What did you kidnap Big Bird?

Invisiblefreespeech
disciple
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
    #10074896 - 03/30/09 04:25 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Phish_Dude said:
In my setup (Roadkill's Hpoo tek) I think I went a little heavy on the gypsum. The strain I'm working with is Ban Thurian. The mycelium has a slight pinkish hue around the chunks of gypsum, but is fully white where there is none. 
It was really slow to colonize the manure, and once fully colonized about 2 weeks ago never started pinning. I put it in the FC 2 nights ago and misted/ fanned to encourage pinning but no signs yet.
There are no signs of contamination, it looks perfectly healthy (other than the pinkish hue).
What could it be?

Chunks of gypsum? What kind of gypsum did you use? You're supposed to use powdered gypsum. The garden gypsum that comes in little pellets needs to be ground to powder before you use it for mycology.

OfflineDuggstarMDiscord
 User Gallery

Loc: Ireland
    #10074898 - 03/30/09 04:26 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Hey man, I'm no TC but I would say that the pink hue would be caused by the ph of the gypsum, much like it would make litmus paper change colour.  I would just give it a bit more time.  I don't think there is much you can do to it to correct the ph now anyway.  Hope it turns out alright for you.

InvisibleShr00mZ
Space Invader

Re: I think I may have used too much gypsum... [Re: freespeech]
    #10074924 - 03/30/09 04:29 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

freespeech said:
Quote:

Phish_Dude said:
What could it be?

Chunks of gypsum? What kind of gypsum did you use? You're supposed to use powdered gypsum. The garden gypsum that comes in little pellets needs to be ground to powder before you use it for mycology.

I use pellet form, I found that when I add gypsum before pasturization. It turns into a nice liquid goup. Id say it works just as good as powdered at that point. Turning it into powder is a waste of time. Sure if you can get powdered, its not gunna hurt.

--------------------

OfflinecReEp 1nc
Creep

Re: I think I may have used too much gypsum... [Re: Duggstar]
    #10074932 - 03/30/09 04:30 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I had to wait 10 days before to get pins, a little patience. Right now it is what it is, already colonized (good news is that the mycelium colonized).......hopefully you get at least one good flush, least it's not green!

--------------------
What did you kidnap Big Bird?

Invisiblefreespeech
disciple
 User Gallery

Re: I think I may have used too much gypsum... [Re: Shr00mZ]
    #10074974 - 03/30/09 04:37 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Shr00mZ said:
I use pellet form, I found that when I add gypsum before pasturization. It turns into a nice liquid goup. Id say it works just as good as powdered at that point. Turning it into powder is a waste of time. Sure if you can get powdered, its not gunna hurt.

RR says powder it: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5815953#5815953

:shrug:

To each their own. I've done it both ways but not enough to get an idea as to what the tangible differences are between pelletized and powdered.

InvisiblePhish_Dude
steppin' into yesterday
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: secret tweeker pad Flag
Re: I think I may have used too much gypsum... [Re: freespeech]
    #10075025 - 03/30/09 04:45 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I didn't measure the gypsum I just eyeballed it as I was mixing the poo. And it was in pellet form and didn't melt down or anything. It colonized fine (a little slow), so I'm just going to keep misting, and fanning like normal. I guess we'll see what happens.:shrug:

--------------------

Invisiblefreespeech
disciple
 User Gallery

#10075053 - 03/30/09 04:47 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Phish_Dude said:
I didn't measure the gypsum I just eyeballed it as I was mixing the poo. And it was in pellet form and didn't melt down or anything. It colonized fine (a little slow), so I'm just going to keep misting, and fanning like normal. I guess we'll see what happens.:shrug:

Yeah, I've had the same thing happen when I first started using gypsum. I didn't realize that the pellets wouldn't dissolve, so I used them whole. I'm thinking that projects with still-intact pellets of gypsum won't be able to take advantage the gypsum nearly as well as projects where the gypsum has dissolved into water.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains