Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleshroomiin
unprofound

Loc: Zone 6 Flag
How far off from pins would you say?
    #10070230 - 03/29/09 09:23 PM (15 years, 2 days ago)

Hello shroomery. Take a look at my cakes please. They have been chillin' in the FC for a little over a week now and they have yet to form any pins. How do they look to you guys? This is the longest ive ever seen before pins at least in my experience. I know it could be anywhere from a week to a few weeks for pins to show and patience is key, but something seems wrong here. tell me what you think. how far off are my pins?  They have been getting ~12/12 light to the best of my ability. (turn the lights on when i go to sleep and turn em off during the day) so its more like 8/16. I mist a few times a day the walls of the terrerium and fan like 5 times a day. Now, these are not normal BRF cakes, they were substrate bricks ordered from themadseason.com and i decided to fruit them in the terrerium due to space restrictions in the bag.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleshroomiin
unprofound

Re: How far off from pins would you say? [Re: shroomiin]
    #10070241 - 03/29/09 09:24 PM (15 years, 2 days ago)

oh yeah and i forgot to add, they look a little wet right now because i just misted them. they seemed a little dried out. some say water on your cake is bad, but mostlyy what i hear is that a little bit of water never hurt anything :shrug:

InvisiblefahtsterM
Now With 33%More Faht
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #10070381 - 03/29/09 09:43 PM (15 years, 2 days ago)

substrate brick?  is that grain and something else?  I'll play it safe and say within three days you'll see knots/pins.  Everything seems to be in the right growth parameter.

good luck eh!

Invisibleshroomiin
unprofound

Re: How far off from pins would you say? [Re: fahtster]
    #10070410 - 03/29/09 09:47 PM (15 years, 2 days ago)

yeah it is a grain mixture. they are pretty much justbricks of colonnized grain. will they be able to fruit at all? should i just break them up and case with some coir/peat i have laying around? thanks for the help.

InvisiblefahtsterM
Now With 33%More Faht
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #10070513 - 03/29/09 10:06 PM (15 years, 2 days ago)

they'll probably fruit, but not nearly as well as if you spawned them to something... or at least mix some moist verm up with them.  The straight grain doesn't hold a whole lot of water which will lead to sub par flushes.  Can you get your hands on any coir?  It may be a little late as it's been exposed to air for a week.  You can maybe dunk it... I dunno though, I've never dunked a straight grain block before first flush.  Maybe some others can chime in.

F

Invisibleshroomiin
unprofound

Re: How far off from pins would you say? [Re: fahtster]
    #10070545 - 03/29/09 10:12 PM (15 years, 2 days ago)

yes i have some coir. i could break them up into monotubs or casings with the coir and peat moss. would this be the best option? im pretty sure i could still redunk them and case...but not positive. would like to hear from somebody who knows forsure.

OfflineJusListen
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: HERE
    #10071530 - 03/30/09 12:36 AM (15 years, 2 days ago)

first pic, on the left looks to have sprung up mini-pins, premature like, still white..

few more days at optimal conditions!

enjoy those fruits!! :psychsplit:

Offlinepotatonet
Quantum Scientist
I'm a teapot

Loc: Far side of the moon
Re: How far off from pins would you say? [Re: JusListen]
    #10071580 - 03/30/09 12:46 AM (15 years, 2 days ago)

you should break them up and case them, maybe a 3-4 hour dunk prior, then let sit for 3-4 hours and drain.

use doc's tek for birdseed casing

--------------------
In the Quechua language of Peru there are over 1000 words for "potato"

Invisibleshroomiin
unprofound

Re: How far off from pins would you say? [Re: potatonet]
    #10072105 - 03/30/09 04:05 AM (15 years, 2 days ago)

i hope so, it just seems like their stuck. they have been at the same state for at least like 4ish days now.

Offlinedead
grateful
Male User Gallery

Loc: North pole
    #10072115 - 03/30/09 04:11 AM (15 years, 2 days ago)

Spawn them to coir.

--------------------
"The third eye. You spend years doing everything you can to open it and then the damn thing opens and your friends laugh at you when you tell them you can see their souls behind their eyes burning like rainbows."

Links:
:regularshroom:Nibin's Guide for Noobs
:regularshroom:some easy teks on bulk & grain prep. (my journal)

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Re: How far off from pins would you say? [Re: dead]
    #10072131 - 03/30/09 04:19 AM (15 years, 2 days ago)

If that rye grain they may fruit ok, but could need a dunk. Not htat long ago limeade over at shroomotopia decided to see what would happen if he birthed rye jars as cakes in a shotgun fruiting chamber. all his cakes fruited just like cakes with some pretty decent sized mushrooms.

Mke sure that your rh is 95% plus,

Also, i dont see many holes in the walls of your fruiting chamber, i can see a few in the small section in the photo but its alot less than you see in the shotgun terrarium tek. You need lots of 1/4 inch holes in all sides including the bottom for good natural FAE plus it helps with rh.

Remember fresh air exchange is a very important pinning trigger.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Invisibleshroomiin
unprofound

Re: How far off from pins would you say? [Re: veda_sticks]
    #10072207 - 03/30/09 04:55 AM (15 years, 2 days ago)

there are a good amount of holes in all 6 sides of the terrerium. i could make some more but i think im okay with that...i was planning on spawning them to coir after 1st flush but i may have to change my gameplan?

Offlinedead
grateful
Male User Gallery

Loc: North pole
    #10072221 - 03/30/09 05:00 AM (15 years, 2 days ago)

No no no... once your 1st flush comes, your mycelium is in fruiting mode. If you then spawn it to coir, you will force it to switch back into colonization mode... the mycelium doesn't like this.

Spawn it now before it has fruited.

--------------------
"The third eye. You spend years doing everything you can to open it and then the damn thing opens and your friends laugh at you when you tell them you can see their souls behind their eyes burning like rainbows."

Links:
:regularshroom:Nibin's Guide for Noobs
:regularshroom:some easy teks on bulk & grain prep. (my journal)

Invisibleshroomiin
unprofound

Re: How far off from pins would you say? [Re: dead]
    #10073613 - 03/30/09 12:24 PM (15 years, 1 day ago)

alright im going to spawn some of it tothe coir but not all.

Invisibleshroomiin
unprofound

#10073614 - 03/30/09 12:25 PM (15 years, 1 day ago)

and either way its been in fruiting mode for like a week now hasnt it? its just not fruiting...lol

either way i hope im wrong but im convinced somethings wrong. they have been stuck at the same amount ofprogress for almost a week now :thumbdown:

Edited by shroomiin (03/30/09 01:07 PM)

Invisibleshroomiin
unprofound

#10076307 - 03/30/09 07:54 PM (15 years, 1 day ago)

okay well...im casing them now. if anyone has anything to add i would appreciate it.

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
    #10076341 - 03/30/09 08:01 PM (15 years, 1 day ago)

I wouldnt try and spawn it since it has been exposed to the air and will likely be covered in contaminant spores.

Its not unusually for pins not to show for over a week. If you want to case it, you could just simply apply a casing layer over the top of it. I have seen grain spread out like patties and a casing layer applied before.

Im surprised more experience people havnt answered this by now. I can only offer suggestions.

If i were in that situation, i would be inclined to dunk it for a few hours and apply a casing layer on the top, but IDK ive never tried it.

I dont see any bruising so, it doesnt look dehydrated.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Invisibleshroomiin
unprofound

Re: How far off from pins would you say? [Re: veda_sticks]
    #10077178 - 03/30/09 09:50 PM (15 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

veda_sticks said:
I wouldnt try and spawn it since it has been exposed to the air and will likely be covered in contaminant spores.

Its not unusually for pins not to show for over a week. If you want to case it, you could just simply apply a casing layer over the top of it. I have seen grain spread out like patties and a casing layer applied before.

Im surprised more experience people havnt answered this by now. I can only offer suggestions.

If i were in that situation, i would be inclined to dunk it for a few hours and apply a casing layer on the top, but IDK ive never tried it.

I dont see any bruising so, it doesnt look dehydrated.

alright yea i wish somebody knew for sure too but i decided to keep the 2 main chunks as is in the terrerium and wait it out a while longer. i had some smaller chunks of mycelium that i decided to casewith coir. i just put it in a pan and cased with coir/peat. I also had enough to throw into a bucket with some coir for a quick monobucket. ill see how they come and also how my casings do.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract