Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblefreespeech
disciple
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Strange mycelium growth and possible contamination (photos)
    #10063782 - 03/29/09 01:18 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I have a tub that's been colonizing for almost a month now. It's rye spawned to coir. This particular strain that I have in this tub has been a particularly poor performer, so my expectations have been low.

The mycelium growth in the tub has been very slow and weak. Today I checked on the tub and saw a big patch of a thick, almost bubbly looking substance that I assume is mycelium. Part of this patch is shaded greenish-gray. I think this is a contam but I'm not sure. I've only had limited experience with contams (thankfully) but IMO it doesn't really look like trich.

I've got some photos... I'm curious what you make of this. What is the bubbly white growth? Is it mushroom mycelium? What is the grayish part? Is it a contam?

Comparison of the "normal" weak mycelium and the new stuff that has burst on the scene:

Close-ups of the "contam'd" section

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleStarrider
Padawan

Loc: Between here and there
Re: Strange mycelium growth and possible contamination (photos) [Re: freespeech]
    #10063796 - 03/29/09 01:21 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Looks good to me. Fruit em and watch em grow.........

--------------------

"If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man at it is, infinite."

William Blake

Anything that I write is for fun only. I am creating fiction for the pleasure of my readers.

Invisiblefreespeech
disciple
 User Gallery

Re: Strange mycelium growth and possible contamination (photos) [Re: Starrider]
    #10063803 - 03/29/09 01:23 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Starrider said:
Looks good to me. Fruit em and watch em grow.........

Despite the fact that it's barely half colonized with weak mycelium? I don't want to put this in my gh if it's molding or about to mold.

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Loc: The North
Re: Strange mycelium growth and possible contamination (photos) [Re: freespeech]
    #10063905 - 03/29/09 01:45 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

I have a tub that's been colonizing for almost a month now

alright stop right there. If anything has to colonize for that long you either used way too low a spawn ratio and/or you should throw it out. In this case I think the later is true but the former is also possible.

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
- Author and former M6/M5 agent John le Carré on Democracy Now.
Conquer's Club

InvisibleRedBeerd
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dirty south....
Re: Strange mycelium growth and possible contamination (photos) [Re: ScavengerType]
    #10064259 - 03/29/09 04:06 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Dudes, that is clearly green....

Astro-turf in 24 hours

--------------------

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a Chemical Vacation
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Strange mycelium growth and possible contamination (photos) [Re: RedBeerd]
    #10064307 - 03/29/09 04:31 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

RedBeerd said:
Dudes, that is clearly green....

Astro-turf in 24 hours

^^^ What he said. It's going to mature within the next 24 hours. What you are looking at is not yet matured trich mycelium.

See here, same thing:

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

OfflineBrennus
Student of Life
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE United States Flag
Re: Strange mycelium growth and possible contamination (photos) [Re: German Kahuna]
    #10064845 - 03/29/09 08:47 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Definitely has the 'scabby' appearance of trich pre-sporulation - combined with the month long colonization times, it's likely contaminated. Your grain spawn was probably dirty if you pasteurized correctly since it contaminated before your first flush.

OfflinebrainsOplenty
myconut
Male

Loc: on your sister
Re: Strange mycelium growth and possible contamination (photos) [Re: Brennus]
    #10064960 - 03/29/09 09:19 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

trich...pitch-it. that'll be green in no time

--------------------
FOR GOD'S SAKE MAN! TELL ME ABOUT THE FUCKING GOLF SHOES!!!

LIVIN THE LIFE!!!

"WE KNOCK NIGGAS OUT AND MAKE EM BOUNCE LIKE RICKY HATTON"- IMMORTAL TECHNIQUE

Invisiblefreespeech
disciple
 User Gallery

Re: Strange mycelium growth and possible contamination (photos) [Re: Brennus]
    #10066463 - 03/29/09 01:23 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Brennus said:
Definitely has the 'scabby' appearance of trich pre-sporulation - combined with the month long colonization times, it's likely contaminated. Your grain spawn was probably dirty if you pasteurized correctly since it contaminated before your first flush.

Thanks everyone. I'm going to check it out today and probably toss it. This tub was just a test - in the time it took for this one tub to get to this half-assed colonization state, I've had a few other tubs that have gone from sterile rye to fully colonized substrate.

This was my first tub of this style, and my first attempt with large_dose's coir tek, so I was just using it to test my procedure. Like I said, this strain has been a horrible performer no matter what I do with it. The rye jars that I spawned to this tub themselves took forever to colonize.

Invisiblefreespeech
disciple
 User Gallery

#10077498 - 03/30/09 10:40 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks everyone. It did turn out to be a trichy-looking mold farm in that tub.

I may have just learned what trich mycelium looks like before it sporulates :ooo:

Offlinepotatonet
Quantum Scientist
I'm a teapot

Loc: Far side of the moon
    #10077642 - 03/30/09 11:12 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

If in doubt throw it out...

easy to remember and follow

--------------------
In the Quechua language of Peru there are over 1000 words for "potato"

InvisibleShroominit
Part Time Mycologist

Folding@home Statistics
    #10077705 - 03/30/09 11:29 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

freespeech said:
I may have just learned what trich mycelium looks like before it sporulates :ooo:

Nasty stuff, huh? It looks a LOT like mushroom mycelium in jars... until after you've done it a few times. I knocked up a few jars with LC and cultivated a few quarts of trich.. learning experience.

Invisiblefreespeech
disciple
 User Gallery

Re: Strange mycelium growth and possible contamination (photos) [Re: potatonet]
    #10077766 - 03/30/09 11:47 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

potatonet said:
If in doubt throw it out...

easy to remember and follow

If I'd thrown it out when I was first in doubt, I would never have learned what it really was.

Offlinegotfungus
get some

#10078306 - 03/31/09 02:31 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

if its warm enough where you are fruit it out side. then the trich wont effect your future grows inside.

--------------------

Invisiblefreespeech
disciple
 User Gallery

Re: Strange mycelium growth and possible contamination (photos) [Re: gotfungus]
    #10079494 - 03/31/09 10:31 AM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

gotfungus said:
if its warm enough where you are fruit it out side. then the trich wont effect your future grows inside.

It's out there in the compost pile now, along with my other failed and spent projects :thumbup:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale