Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBC-Shroom
Evil Genius inTraining

Loc: BC, Canada
Any info on using tree leafs as a substrate ?
    #1005650 - 10/30/02 09:37 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

About two years ego I came across tek, that used tree leafs for substrate. Anyone have any info or comments on that tek ?
What kind of tree leafs one would use ?
What would be a good stain for it ?
:confused: 

--------------------
I regret to say that we of the F.B.I. are powerless to act in cases of oral-genital intimacy, unless it has in some way obstructed interstate commerce. - J. Edgar Hoover

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleblazenaz
Extremist

Loc: Surrounded by an electrom...
Re: Any info on using tree leafs as a substrate ? [Re: BC-Shroom]
    #1005684 - 10/30/02 09:49 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Dry leaves of any kind I don't think have much nutrients. Maybe as part of a compost mix might be better. Are you looking to save money or something?

--------------------
Blaze

OfflineBC-Shroom
Evil Genius inTraining

Re: Any info on using tree leafs as a substrate ? [Re: blazenaz]
    #1005719 - 10/30/02 10:01 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Save money, plus I have SOOO much of them....
Do you think, I could get away with not sterilizing them, just mixing  them up with some ground up PF cake(s), and leaving them in a warm (75F, I can't get them any warmer than that :frown:) dark place for 5-6 weeks ? 

--------------------
I regret to say that we of the F.B.I. are powerless to act in cases of oral-genital intimacy, unless it has in some way obstructed interstate commerce. - J. Edgar Hoover

Invisibleblazenaz
Extremist

Loc: Surrounded by an electrom...
    #1005831 - 10/30/02 10:33 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Anything that starts outside and goes inside must be at least pasteurized.

--------------------
Blaze

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
    #1005856 - 10/30/02 10:37 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

If you compost them, along with adding some dung & wheat straw to the pile, the result is a good substrate. If composted correctly. 6T  :tongue:

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

OfflineBC-Shroom
Evil Genius inTraining

#1013188 - 11/01/02 12:09 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Found It  :smile:
I'm gona try it in the next 2-3 weeks. I'm gona keep you posted on results.
Here it is:

Nomi's Cubensis Method

I have cultivated shrooms for some two years now and I have found that the fastest method for growing mycelia is to use plant matter of some kind. I usually use plain grass or dried leaves, it's not all that important really! Plain grass is usually the most convenient though. Hay or straw will work too.

What I do is:

Go out and gather some grass, leaves and flowers, dried or green. Avoid thick stems, otherwise you can pick just about anything green. I usually fill up a grocery bag. Its never as much as it looks, so gather about twice as much as you think you need.
Put the stuff in the freezer over night. Preferably packed in a plastic bag. This serves two purposes. One is that the next day you can break the stuff apart somewhat to make it easier to manage. The other is that it destroys the cell-structure and allows the mycelium to colonize much faster.
Boil the stuff for one hour. This is for sterilizing and again to break down the cells of the plants. Make sure the water covers the grass completely.
The important bit. When the grass has been boiling for a half an hour. Remove a cup of the boiling water and save it in a container with a lid on. The water should have a clear yellow or brownish color. Don't worry if there are particles floating around in it. Put it away till it has cooled to roomtemperature.
After boiling, pour of the water and let the stuff cool for a while. Try to get most of the water out some way or the other, no need to worry about sterility, just wring it out or something, and then put it in a clear plastic bag, or possibly a big jar.
Leave the grass alone for a few days. Take the (now cooled off) yellow water, and either inject some sporewater into the jar (or take some mycelium from another batch). Shake it every once in a while. The water should go from clear to misty in a matter of days.
When you can see how the particles floating around in the water become all fuzzy its time to pour it into the bag with the grass. Poke a few small holes in the bag.
This method is best suited for bigger projects. If you do it right you can have four pounds of mycelium in four or five weeks. The trick is to get the myceliumwater evenly distributed in the grass.

--------------------

OfflineSmashedMe
Stranger
Loc: Antarctica
    #1013418 - 11/01/02 01:34 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Let us know how it turns out.

OfflineDrCubensis
Male

Re: Any info on using tree leafs as a substrate ? [Re: blazenaz]
    #4854618 - 10/26/05 01:05 PM (18 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

blazenaz said:
Anything that starts outside and goes inside must be at least pasteurized. 

I don't agree with you, I'm colonizing both straw and another recipient with sheep poo and leafs (just in water for 24h) and it's ok.

Peace :mushroom2:

--------------------

"Ever tried. Ever failed. Never mind. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." Samuel Beckett.

Edited by DrCubensis (10/26/05 01:07 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder