Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePinkBuffalo
Stranger
 User Gallery

compost max temperature, phase II question.
    #10007853 - 03/20/09 01:12 PM (15 years, 12 days ago)

I had a 3 - 40lb bail synthetic compost going, wstraw,bran,csm,soy, alfalfa pellets and gypsum+calcium carb toward the end. 
  It wouldn't make it past 140-ish degrees F, just wondering if maybe this was due to the lack of size/weight.  Is there a minimum number of bails I should be starting with?. I'd like to note that the outside weather sometimes reaches freezing at night. 
  Inside, mid way through composting, the heap got white-greyish growth toward the center where the heat was, which spread like crazy and turned the straw darker brown. Then it wouldn't rise in temp anymore and then eventually fell.  Along with a slight smell of ammonia, it's now cold, damp, and has mites.  My first compost trial = failure.

My plans are to hot water pasteurize it and fruit off as is.  And make another pile, if I can figure out where I went wrong. I have a suspicion it has to do with lack of compost size, and the colder temperatures.

Also, Could I make the compost as a short compost but just change how often I flip it, and keep it out longer? 
A friend has access to a steel barrel and burner, so I'm assuming I couldn't use this to condition phase 2 short compost to rid of ammonia because It would have to run for several days, correct?  So that leaves me the only choice to steam long-method compost..? eg 160 degrees for 4 hours.

Thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePinkBuffalo
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: compost max temperature, phase II question. [Re: PinkBuffalo]
    #10013513 - 03/21/09 12:22 PM (15 years, 11 days ago)

I'm really just looking for a second opinion, im sort of skeptical of my own judgement.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #10013578 - 03/21/09 12:32 PM (15 years, 11 days ago)

If you'll pasteurize it at 140F for an hour or two, it should be fine.  What species are you growing?  Most mushrooms people around here grow don't require compost and do well on plain straw and/or pasteurized manure.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflinePinkBuffalo
Stranger
 User Gallery

#10014193 - 03/21/09 02:02 PM (15 years, 10 days ago)

Thanks for the response RogerRabbit,
  The idea to experiment with multiple species off the same substrate appeals to me. Eg. primary decomposer fruited and then secondary.
  Initially I made the pile with the intention of making an optimal substrate.  And with 3 bails because it would last me forever.
  I don't require* compost.  I'm just driven toward learning about it, as along time ago I seen the results of colonization speed, and yield from it, even some of it being straight from the pile.  Which seemed to rival anything I've seen from my small trials with pasteurized wheat straw.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate