Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMrBump
Third prize is you're fired
 User Gallery

Loc: Denver, Colorado
A New Innovation To Dunking Cakes!
    #1000149 - 10/28/02 01:43 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I up-ended my kitchen and shopped around in Walmart but i still cant find a container adequate enough for dunking cakes. I want a container that my cakes could fit snugly in and still hold enough water for max absorbion. I think the more water in the container, the more chance of contams getting in ( BS maybe?). Bacically a slightly larger sized Ball half-pint style jar or Tupperware container would be ideal. I have read in Forums and FAQ's that some people dunk in the same jars they colonize the cake in. I, however, dont believe enough water stays in the jars due to displacement. The cake is nearly a perfect fit in the jar, right? I have also researched something called a Reseviour/drinking straw Tek. A drinking straw-sized hole is dug into the top of the cake about halfway into the cake. Then the straw is filled with sterile water and the cake 'drinks' when it needs to. I propose to combine these two ideas. I will dunk my cake in the same jar i used in it's colonization, but I will poke pin-sized holes into the bottom of the cake before i dunk it. I will use a sterilized inuculation needle from an empty spore syringe and poke 5 holes ( 4 corners and the middle), in 2 other colonized jars I will try different amounts of holes. Less than 5 in one, more than 5 and possibly pricking the sides of the cake in another. My goal is almost complete absorbion by the cake.Also, I am hoping the small tunnels fill with water (less overall displacement) to cause better overall hydration of the cake inside and out. If all the water doesnt aborb into the cake during dunking, than I hope the tunnels will act as a small reseviour of H20 for the cakes to drink at its leisure. I will probably experiment with the water levels as well, however I cant see any more than maybe 2 fl. ounces remaining in the jar after the cake displaces the excess. I will leave the jars in my fridge sealed with tinfoil for about 15 hrs. I will keep you posted of any developments. Any comments, suggestions or critizisms to the idea drop in a reply. Thanks for reading.
Happy ttttttrrrrrraaaaaaiiiiiillllllssssss.......

--------------------
If it weren't for the bloody corpses, I wouldn't have any corpses at all.

There are two ways to get to the top of an oak tree: start climbing or sit on an acorn.

Are you a carrot, an egg, or a coffee bean?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleI_Stain_Blue
abominableshroomman

Loc: police state
Re: A New Innovation To Dunking Cakes! [Re: MrBump]
    #1000263 - 10/28/02 02:33 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

my cakes never absorb all the water in a 1/2 pint jar.

--------------------
Be Here Now

OfflineMrBump
 User Gallery

#1000300 - 10/28/02 02:48 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I just learned two things about the experiment. 1) The jar can hold aprox. 1 1/4 fl. oz. without displacing any water over the sides. 2) I really should buy that hepa filter mask I saw at the pharmacey the other day. I am so paranoid of contams. and therefor a sterilizing freak of nature. I nearly passed out several times trying to hold my breathe so as to not breathe on the exposed cakes or push air around the room in any way. The cakes were pushed down in the jar but a very small gap filled with water exists between cake and jar bottom. One cake has 5 holes on bottom. Cake Two had same five holes but 4 holes pricked in the sides. They are now resting in my dark refridgerator. I will turn the jars upside down to assure that water completely fills the holes on the bottom once or twice in the next 12 to 15 hours. I will remove the cakes tommorrow morning and place them in my fruiting chamber. 
  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: 

--------------------

There are two ways to get to the top of an oak tree: start climbing or sit on an acorn.

OfflineMrBump
 User Gallery

#1002115 - 10/29/02 12:18 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

UPDATE:
I went into the fridge 8 hrs. later and saw two cakes ready to explode with pinheads. I decided to birth them into the fruiting chamber 4 hrs early.
I opened the dunked cake over a large bowl to catch the water and measure it.
I filled the two jars up with a total of 2.6 fl. oz. and got back just under 1.3 fl. oz.
So a cake seems to absorb 1/2 fl. oz. after 12 hrs of dunking. This is kind of an estimate because there is water filling the five needle-sized holes I punctured on the bottom of the cakes (which are now turned upward, verm. casing layer down) and I cant measure the amount.Who knows... the 1/2 fl. oz. 'absorbed' might all be in the holes. I did use better measuring equipment than shot glasses stolen from a bar, though. :grin:  I  think I may never have to dunk the same cake twice. I can stick an old, sterile syringe needle containing sterile water into the holes (water reseviors) to rehydrate the cake in between flushes. I will take pics in a day or two and post them here.
WHAT I LEARNED: 1) the jars I used to colonize are perfect for dunking.
                              2) cakes absorb way less water through dunking than 
                                    I thought

--------------------

OfflineMrBump
 User Gallery

#1030886 - 11/07/02 12:37 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

UPDATE:
Sorry I have not updated this post in a while, been busy lately. Also, my friend wont let me use his digi cam to take pics ( he thinks displaying highly illegal shit on the internet is dangerous... I know, what did Al Gore invent this thing for anyways?) So bear with me as I try to describe the situation through the wonders of vocabulary. Don't worry though, he goes out of town this weekend so I can probably temperarally lift it from his room to take pics.
      There are six cakes in the experiement- 1 undunked, 3 punctured with five to eight needle sized holes and 2 undunked. The undunked cake has one huge mushie- 4 inches or so- and one little abort next to it, sub par for a 1st flush I think. I'd like to mention that the undunked cake has been birthed  4 days prior to the next 5. The dunked cakes were birthed 2 on one day, 3 the next. Two of the three cakes I stuck holes in are taking off. Two groups of three quick, thickly developing mushies on each cake. The third is not as well off but still producing better than the undunked. The two dunked with no puncture holes are about three days behind, lots-  and I mean lots- of fluffy white but pins just noticed developing today.
      It is too soon to call the idea a success... but what the hell, I rule. Just kidding. All I know is that the dunked cakes with holes are producing a big 1st flush quicker than the dunked cakes w/out em. And both will produce bigger and quicker mushie flushes than the undunked cake. However, I came to think of a flaw in the hole puncturing idea in that contams my find their way down the holes and I would have no way of finding out until the inside is completely rotted out with green mold or some other bad shit. Hopefully i avoid this by being extra sterile with my HEPA filter and H20/H202 mixture used when misting.
      So Ive learned that my idea might have some validation to it. Maybe punching holes in the cakes pre-dunking will better hydrate the cake leading to better flushes. Only time will tell if this idea is successful with the next couple flushes and with the possible contam problems presenting themselves in the coming weeks. But so far I'm happy with the progress. Remember newbies, and ounce of prevention equals a pound of cure. And if your going to do cakes, for Christ's sake Dunk em. :grin:

happy ttttttrrrrrraaaaaaiiiiiillllllssssss...... 

--------------------

OfflineMrBump
 User Gallery

Re: A New Innovation To Dunking Cakes! w/pic [Re: MrBump]
    #1034582 - 11/08/02 12:05 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

UPDATE:
I picked the lone mush of the undunked cake to dry- 4 1/2 in. long.
I have a pic to show of two of the cakes dunked with holes.

It is the first flush... I think a pretty good one. Most all are as long or longer than the lone mush picked of the undunked earlier... and producing this result 4 to 5 days faster.
I wish I had more pics, but my drunk Irishmen friend insisted he was the only one who could operate the camera and took several shots. This is the only decent one and it doesnt even show all the cakes in th test so I'm sorry about that.
The third holey dunked cake is a little behind... two 1 1/2 inchers and more than a few pins are growing (maybe some will mature, though.) The two dunked cakes are even slower to produce definitive mushies. Many small abort sized mushies are surrounding the base of the cake. Also the caps on these mushies are of a darker reddish hue, not a light caramel color shown in the pic. I dont know why... maybe someone could answer that? Still, potential abounds. The undunked cake was picked of its first flush, punctured, dunked and placed in the fridge for 12 hrs. I probably didnt leave anything out ( I know Im very long winded)... temps are a solid 70-72 F Perlite and misting humidify the chamber.

--------------------

InvisibleHippie3
mycotopiate
 User Gallery

Loc: mycotopia.net
Re: A New Innovation To Dunking Cakes! w/pic [Re: MrBump] * 1
    #1040498 - 11/10/02 06:10 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

intersting experiment you're running here, poking holes to speed absorbtion. i'll add this info to my dunk tek archives over at mycotopia so others can check it out.

--------------------
Admin @ mycotopia.net
Mycotopia

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures