|Home | Mushroom Info | Experiencing Mushrooms | Trippers FAQ | Do hallucinogenic mushrooms cause liver damage?|
Do hallucinogenic mushrooms cause liver damage?
There are mushrooms that will cause liver damage if eaten. They
contain toxins called amatoxins. The mushrooms which contain these
toxins are mostly from the genera Amanita, Galerina, Lepiota, and
Conocybe. Amatoxin poisoning is responsible for over 95% of mushroom
poisoning fatalities. Death is usually in 7 to 10 days due to liver
The mushrooms that contain psilocybin and psilocin will not cause liver damage.
The cases related to psilocybin containing mushrooms causing liver damage are cases where somebody misidentified one of the deadly mushrooms mentioned above for one of the psilocybin containing species. The most common mushroom for this is Galerina marginalis. Sometimes the deadly Galerinas are mixed in with active Psilocybe or Panaeolus species. There are photos documenting the two growing side by side taken by Mushroom John (mjshroomer).
Other species such as Gymnopolis contain Psilocin but also contain other substances with the potential to do liver damage.Some of the other lesser species which contain psilo(cybin)cin either come from genera which contain deadly relatives or are so low in concentration the amount needed to achieve efect could be also supplying a large dose of a toxin. In short the two main active genera containing Psilo(cybin)cin, Paneolus and Psilocybe do not exhibit any liver toxic properties.