- What is a PF cake?
A "PF cake" is named after its "creator", psylocybe fanaticus.
- What is the point of each step in the recipe?
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE read the getting started Q&A before reading this overview, otherwise it won't make sense!
- What is the difference between brown and white rice?
The difference between brown rice and white rice is not just color.
- Why do we boil the jars of substrate?
We boil the jars in order to sterilize them.
- Can I substitute any ingredients in the PF recipe?
Vermiculite: Coco coir has been tested as a replacement for vermiculite in the PF-tek substrate, but it colonizes more slowly and is more apt to contaminate than vermiculite is.
- What are the different ways to sterilize a PF jar?
You can sterilize the jars by boiling (steaming) them in a pot with boling water or using a pressure cooker which guarantees a better sterilization.
- What precautions should I be aware of when inoculating?
In the open air, you should take care to be as clean as possible, as the air itself contains contaminants which would love to colonize your lovely PF substrate and kick your mycelia's ass.
- Is is it ok to use the syringe right out of the fridge or should it warm up some?
It's ok to use it right out of the fridge.
- How much spore suspension from my spore syringe should I use?
PF recommends using 1ml per jar, which, for 4 holes is 1/4 ml per hole.
- How long should the jars cool before inoculating?
You need to let the jars cool on their own, preferably for at least 6 hours, and hopefully overnight.
- What methods are there to inoculate PF jars?
PF jar ingredients, once sterilized properly, are completely sterilized inside the sealed jar.
- Can I use coarse grade vermiculite for substrate?
Yes but the coarser type will hold a little less water
- Does fine vermiculite hold more water than coarse?
It has been a consent among the users of the PF-Tek, that the fine vermiculite can hold more water than the coarse variety.
- Should I sterilize the needle, and how?
When you buy a syringe from a vendor, most vendors attempt to keep the needle as sterile as possible when they create the syringe.
- What recipe should/can I use for PF cakes?
The basic PF recipe is 1/4 cup brown rice flour (measure the flour itself, not the brown rice if you grind it yourself), 1/2 cup vermiculite, and 60ml (4 tablespoons) of water.
- Can I mix different cubensis strains in a PF cake?
Yes, you can. But most likely one strain will prevail, so inoculate each jar with its own strain.
- Can I use a non-organic brown rice flour or white rice flour for the substrate?
The amounts of pesticides in anything sold for human or animal consumption are so minute that they don't affect fungal growth, especially not the one of higher fungi.
- How many jars will a spore syringe inoculate?
A spore syringe containing 10cc of spore-water suspension can be used to inoculate around 10 jars.
- Common mistakes
Some pitfalls to be avoided.
- How long will my colonized jars live?
When fully colonized, how long will the mycelium live inside the jars without problems?